“The best B&B you’ll ever find”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 295 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The best B&B you’ll ever find”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I discovered Rutland House on Trip Advisor, and chose it not only because of its superlative reviews, but also because Delia seems to reply to all of them, and remember every guest she has ever encountered. It was this personal touch which impressed me, and it transpires that this is a major feature of the accommodation.

Like many other reviewers, I was somewhat nervous of Johannesburg’s reputation for crime, but my wife, three daughters (teens and early 20s) and I found this to be totally unfounded. Craighall is a lovely area, and not remotely intimidating. Delia reassured us, and was absolutely correct, that it was completely safe to walk around even at night, which we did repeatedly during our 7 night stay. In fact, we found Jo’burg as a whole to be considerably more friendly and unthreatening than many other cities we have visited across Europe and America, which I am ashamed to admit was a big surprise to me. We met and talked to many people during our stay, black and white, and the only ones we found objectionable were the occasional white individuals of dubious racial views, and we have plenty of them in England.

As others have said, the guest house itself is beautiful and secluded, with lovely gardens and private entrances for each unit. Breakfast is included, and cooked to order, and the rooms are stocked with tea, coffee, snacks and sweets which are replenished daily by the two maids, Sarah and Gretta. They are efficient and delightful, and never obtrusive. In fact they seemed to do their work as if by magic - while we were at breakfast the beds were made, and on our return in the evening a light and the heater was already turned on (we visited in winter), and towels and toiletries replaced.

Delia was as lovely and friendly as everyone says, and a superb cook, but halfway through our stay she left to begin her own holiday. Olga and Dick took over the running of the place, and they were as warm, hospitable and humourous as Delia had been. Like her, they too helped when we needed it with planning and map-reading our outings, as well as all the other little details of B&B living, such as cooking great breakfasts and looking after our luggage after checking out. But as with Delia, Sarah and Gretta, we never felt our privacy or self-determination was compromised. We really had the best of both worlds - the independence and privacy of staying in one’s own accommodation, combined with the catering, assistance and personal attention associated with a hotel or guest house.

If you are reading this looking for a safe, peaceful and exceptionally comfortable place to stay in Johannesburg, and you chose not to stay at the Rutland House, I feel very sorry for what you will inevitably miss. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hay Joe, Thank you so very much for your fantastic review. It really was such a treat for me to meet you both and your lovely girls. Although quite mad.. what do they say about "mad dogs and Englishman and girls swimming in a cold winter pool"... I am so happy your special family trip went well and I can always rely on Dick and Olga and Gretta & Sarah to fill my shoes.
I do hope that I might see you here again or even just a daughter or two in the future.
Till then all keep well and happy.
Delia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We only had the pleasure of staying one night as a break between the overnight flight from London and travelling on to Botswana, but Rutland House was quite charming and relaxing. Our ground arrangements were all taken care of by Delia so we were picked up at the airport and returned the following day without a hitch, so important when you are tired and in an unfamiliar city. Delia was the perfect host and suggested a lovely restaurant down the road within easy and safe walking distance which was absolutely super for dinner. Our only regret was not being able to stay for longer. Maybe next time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Duncan, yes far too short a time in Johannesburg so i await the "next time" .
I am really pleased you enjoyed your trip and stay with us at Rutland House.
I look forward to hearing about your next trip to JHB and I can arrange all sorts of fun and interesting days for you.
Take care
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This B&B is an amazing place to stay when you're in Johannesburg.

2 colleagues and I stayed here for 3 nights in total on either side of a Kruger Safari. Delia is so nice and so helpful, it really made the trip!

The rooms are nice and clean and with all the amenities you could want. We were there in the winter on the coldest days of the year, but the rooms had heaters and electric blankets to keep warm and cosy. In each room were tea and coffee supplies, fresh fruit and very tasty cinnamon rusks (like biscotti). Which was a godsend because our flight back from Kruger was very late and we would have gone hungry.

Breakfasts are amazing with fresh fruits, choice of cereals and yogurt and a full hot breakfast. This really kept us going for our freezing cold day of touring around Johannesburg.

Also have to mention that Delia recommended Chic Chamberlain from Macit Tours for our transfers to and from the airport and for our day tour around Johannesburg and Soweto. Chic was so kind and patient and a great tour guide. His bright and smiling face at the airport made our very delayed arrival from Kruger that much less distressing.

For those of you who shy away from B&Bs because you are afraid you'll be staying in someone's spare room (this was me just last year) please rest assured that each room has its own private entrance and is very secure and safe. I would have felt perfectly comfortable staying here as a solo traveller, especially if I had Chic to take me around.

Thank you Delia!

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms, so ask Delia which one she would recommend.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you Jay for such a wonderful review. It was great for me to have you to stay. Thank you for mentioning Chic, i will pass your message on. I hope you had a successful trip and conference in Cape Town and also hope to see you again in the near future at Rutland House.
All the best o the 3 of you.
Gretna, Louisiana
Reviewed August 4, 2012

You will truly enjoy your stay here... My husband and I stayed 2 nights.. We flew into Joburg from the States and went straight to Rutland's. Delia is a jewel.. She welcomed us with open arms. We had the first cottage when you enter the grounds, private entrance, nice large king bed, private bathroom. The grounds are beautiful (flowers, trees, pool). The next morning we had breakfast. typical breakfast eggs, bacon, bread, fruit, coffee, juice, etc... But I am more than sure Delia would accommodate you if that is not to your liking. We had to fly out to Zimbabwe that morning for 3 days and didnt want to take all of our luggage. Delia was kind enough to store our luggage for us. When we returned to her place for our second night stay all was well. Our luggage was in the cottage waiting for us. You will not regret your stay her... I was concerned about safety issues before I left the States but no problems at all. safe location. My husband and I even went walking around off the grounds. Would defintiely stay again

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Rutland House and be my 96th reviewer !
It was great having you to stay and easy to help you store your extra baggage whilst you travelled. Your remark about even walking off the grounds because you felt safe pleases me as we do get bad press on the safety of Johannesburg. This is so inaccurate as I have for the past 14 years walked with my 1 or 3 lady friends on average 26 kilometers a week for excersise all around our suburbs and parks and never had a problem, so yes, indeed it is safe if one is sensible. Thank you again for the lovely review and I hope you come back to South Africa for another trip.
Best regards Delia
Central Oregon, Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Rutland House on our last night in Johannesburg. Delia was the perfect host (and chef) and made all arrangements for us to be picked up at the train station upon our arrival in Jo'Burg and again to take a tour (Felling Tours) on our way to the airport the following day. She also recommended a wonderful restaurant that we could walk to for lunch (safely), where we had an outstanding meal. For dinner, we decided to stay in and have a picnic and Delia provided wine opener, wine glasses, plates, knife for cheese and cloth napkins. It was a lovely way to end the day. Breakfast was a full breakfast, made to order, and served in a beautiful sunlit room overlooking the pool and gardens. The grounds are beautiful. Rutland House is most definitely the place to stay while visiting Johannesburg.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your super review, it is most appreciated and it was a great pleasure to have you to stay at Rutland House.
We hope to see you again in our lovely city and at Rutland House. You need much more time to explore all we have to offer.
Keep well and all the best.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Rutland House in June as the first stop on our South Africa holiday. Delia made the introduction to Jo'burg very easy. Lots of advice on what to do and where was safe to go and when gave us a lot of confidence. We arrived on a public holiday and during the weekend of Father's Day so eating options were limited for a couple of days. Delia produced excellent evening meals when we needed them, complete with very quaffable wine. Breakfasts, as others say, are excellent and meant we weren't always needing lunch when out and about. Rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean and simply but adequately furnished. The cooking facilities in the room also came in very handy when we didn't want to return to town to eat in the evening. We were there in the middle of winter and the weather could be cold but there was sufficient extra heating to make the rooms warm whenever necessary.

The location is safe and convenient with local facilities available as well as access to town. Delia and Agnes and Rudie work very well together to get you round the sights and sites and show Jo'burg off at its best.

Delia was an excellent host, even when a technical problem meant she didn't get paid when we expected her to and if you're looking for somewhere to introduce you to South Africa when you step off the plane, this could well be the best place.

Room Tip: If you are going in warmer seasons there are lovely roomsopening onto the gardens.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Mark for writing such a comprehensive and great review. It was a pleasure to meet you both and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and tours so much (and your "picnic" in the garden) !!. I hope to see you back in SA sometime in the future and back at Rutland House. Keep in touch and all the best.
Plano, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were a group of 4 adults and 2 kids. We spent two nights in Delia's place. The breakfast was so good, that my kids refuse to eat my scrambled egg at home anymore. It was a safe place to stay. The kids could walk around the property without me watching them. Rudie and Agnes were so prompt in picking up for all our tours and transfers to and from airport. Overall, the best Bed and Breakfast we ever stayed in. I was worried about finding safe but fun place in Jo berg, but Rutland house exceeded my expectations. Sarah and Greta were awesome and the kids loved playing with Delia's cats too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Viji.
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay at Rutland House. I hope to see you again in the future if you come on another adventure.
All the best wishes to you and family.