I discovered Rutland House on Trip Advisor, and chose it not only because of its superlative reviews, but also because Delia seems to reply to all of them, and remember every guest she has ever encountered. It was this personal touch which impressed me, and it transpires that this is a major feature of the accommodation.
Like many other reviewers, I was somewhat nervous of Johannesburg’s reputation for crime, but my wife, three daughters (teens and early 20s) and I found this to be totally unfounded. Craighall is a lovely area, and not remotely intimidating. Delia reassured us, and was absolutely correct, that it was completely safe to walk around even at night, which we did repeatedly during our 7 night stay. In fact, we found Jo’burg as a whole to be considerably more friendly and unthreatening than many other cities we have visited across Europe and America, which I am ashamed to admit was a big surprise to me. We met and talked to many people during our stay, black and white, and the only ones we found objectionable were the occasional white individuals of dubious racial views, and we have plenty of them in England.
As others have said, the guest house itself is beautiful and secluded, with lovely gardens and private entrances for each unit. Breakfast is included, and cooked to order, and the rooms are stocked with tea, coffee, snacks and sweets which are replenished daily by the two maids, Sarah and Gretta. They are efficient and delightful, and never obtrusive. In fact they seemed to do their work as if by magic - while we were at breakfast the beds were made, and on our return in the evening a light and the heater was already turned on (we visited in winter), and towels and toiletries replaced.
Delia was as lovely and friendly as everyone says, and a superb cook, but halfway through our stay she left to begin her own holiday. Olga and Dick took over the running of the place, and they were as warm, hospitable and humourous as Delia had been. Like her, they too helped when we needed it with planning and map-reading our outings, as well as all the other little details of B&B living, such as cooking great breakfasts and looking after our luggage after checking out. But as with Delia, Sarah and Gretta, we never felt our privacy or self-determination was compromised. We really had the best of both worlds - the independence and privacy of staying in one’s own accommodation, combined with the catering, assistance and personal attention associated with a hotel or guest house.
If you are reading this looking for a safe, peaceful and exceptionally comfortable place to stay in Johannesburg, and you chose not to stay at the Rutland House, I feel very sorry for what you will inevitably miss. We had a wonderful time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delia Ferguson has been extending a warm welcome to her guests since 1995. Rutland House is centrally situated in a lush half acre garden between Sandton, Rosebank, Hyde Park and Randburg. All the suites and cottages are set away from the main house, each with it's own private patio or garden. The 2 bedroom cottage is ideal for families or long stays. The one bedroom cottage is perfect for the business traveller on a contract. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Rutland House Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rutland House Bed And Breakfast
- Rutland House Hotel Johannesburg