“Delightful Delia's hidden gem”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #26 of 289 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Delightful Delia's hidden gem”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Rutland House is a real gem. Set in a leafy suburb in a safe and lovely area of Johannesburg (who knew there were such areas?) you could be forgiven for thinking you are staying at a B & B in the english countryside. The security is excellent but unobtrusive. Once entering the high gates you enter a haven of relaxation with lovely garden areas, roses, bird sounds, and pool and everything is decorated beautifully. All the practical necessities are present e.g. free wifi, bar fridge, private entrances, bath, safe, hairdryer, and excellent pre-stay communication etc but it is the little thoughtful touches that make things special such as the fruit basket in your room, fresh roses on the breakfast table and having your room made up by the time you are finished breakfast that really stood out for me as a very frequent overseas traveller.

Breakfast (delicious and cooked to order) is served at a communal table which facilitates convival conversation among the guests. This is greatly assisted by Delia, the hostess, who possesses a remarkable gift for attracting the most interesting of people and clearly loves what she does. The only complaint I could make is that she recommended such wonderful things to do such as the nearby markets, Soweto tour etc that I invested a little too much money in supporting the South African economy and needed an extra bag to carry things home! My travel agent recommended staying at a large hotel for security but if you can have security in a lovely setting with a delightful host why would you stay anywhere else?

Disclaimer: I was here for three nights on a short stopover so I'm not sure how central the place is to downtown (from what I hear you don't want to stay there anyway) but it is close to Sandton which is a big business area. I took a cab from the airport and it cost 450 rand but you can also safely catch the train closer or Delia can apparently arrange an airport pick up for a small additional cost.

Room Tip: The garden room is lovely with a little private courtyard and step up bathroom but there is also a c...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Oh wow, thanks for the amazing review. You do me proud ! Like I say the hardest part of runnning a B&B is saying goodbye to the guests and maybe not seeing them again. You have 10 years in which to return... I hope you did not have to pay excess on the Market purchases, but admit, they were really lovely :-) I am so pleased you chose Rutland House and I hope to see you in the near future whether on business or pleasure..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fribourg, Switzerland
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We had a very nice time at Rutland House! The room is clean, breakfast was always good and Delia is a wonderful host! We had very interesting chats with her over breakfast, we really liked the fact that all guests eat at the same big table, it is always nice to meet other travelers and "share a meal" with them :-)
Rutland House has a beautiful garden and a really nice pool, so if you don't feel like going out you can just relax there. Delia is very helpful with everything, she even gave us the email adress of a tour guide for Soweto (btw you MUST go to Soweto!!!) when we booked the room, so that we didn't have to find one while we were already there.
We stayed at Rutland House after a month traveling around South Africa, it was a nice place to spend the last couple of nights of our honey moon! Thank you Delia! :-)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was my pleasure to have you to stay and give you a lovely last few days to you honeymoon. I wish you both all the very best for your future together you make a wonderful couple. Delia
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2012

After over a month on an overland truck in East Africa, it is just what I needed to relax in comfort before my long journey home. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I felt very safe on the secure premises in a pleasant part of the city. It was close to many nice restaurants and Hyde Park Mall. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review.
I am only sorry that I did not get to meet you as I was away. I am pleased that you were well looked after by my staff and stand in manager and that Rutland House met your needs for a sancturary after so much travelling.
Hopefully we will see you again when you tour South Africa in the future !!
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Lovely setting, wonderful hostess (Delia), excellent personal service for meals at local restaurants. My wife and I would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Sorry your stay was so short but I expect to see you again - as promised in your review - till then, keep well and happy travelling.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our cottage. shared by us and our daughter, was a wonderful retreat following 14 days of constant travelling in car along the garden route and then camping by truck from Livingstone. It was a haven in the middle of Johannesburg giving us a chance to soak up all our holiday experiences.

Room Tip: Everything that you could want.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your super review, it was lovely meeting your family and knowing that this reunion was special. I really admire Charity and she braught back many memories of my travelling days. Perhaps I will see you all again for longer in the future when you are both retired!!!.
Again - taking time to write your review is most appreciated.
All the best

Wymondham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Rutland House is my go-to B&B choice when visiting Johannesburg. I am picky, and I did live in the area for many years, so I know what I'm talking about. Delia is a pioneer of the whole B&B movement in Johannesburg, and she has created a green sanctuary in the suburbs. You feel safe, valued and at home in the rooms, and breakfast is a highlight, usually cooked by Delia herself. The breakfast room is large but still homely, with views of the pool and well-tended garden, and it's a great meeting place for guests from across the world. Perhaps the best things of all are Delia's warm welcome, her knowledge of places to visit and who can best get you there, and the quiet efficiency of the room staff. See you there!

Room Tip: No special tip. I have had two different rooms and both are great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Matthew,
Thank you so much for your lovely review, the pleasure is always mine to have you to stay and unlike other guests who I am so sad to say goodbye to because I know they will not be coming back to South Africa, i know you will return so it is not so hard to say goodbye. keep well and return with your lovely wife next time.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Rutland House for three days from January 15-18, 2012. There is so much that I could say about the accommodation and compound, but you can simply be confident that Rutland House is as beautiful and charming in person as it is on its website. The garden is indeed manicured, the pool is clean, and there really is tea, coffee, biscuits, and fresh fruit in every room. There is even WiFi inclusive in the price to keep you well-connected. Delia makes Rutland House truly special, and better than just a great bed and breakfast. Delia clearly enjoys managing the place, and she makes sure to get the details right. My family of five that stayed at Rutland House was certainly an unusual mix of 3 adults and 2 children, including 3 Ugandans, 1 American, and 1 Ugandan-American. Delia catered to our diverse needs stemming from my family's span in age and cultural frames of reference. Delia was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants, day trips, and transportation options. Andrew, a taxi driver Delia highly recommended, is a fair and professional driver with a comfortable vehicle, but he also served as a great tour guide of Johannesburg for a full day. Delia's made-to-order breakfasts were often our best and fullest meal of the day. I've lived in East Africa for four years, but this is was my first time to South Africa. While I have stayed at multiple BBs in the past, I generally look for great hotels at good prices. However, I thought I would try Rutland House knowing that I could use some helpful advice from someone who knew the area well. Delia provided that advice, and much more. In case you were wondering if a small bed and breakfast in Johannesburg can really be as great as TripAdvisor reviews say, rest assured that Delia and Rutland House will undoubtedly surpass your expectations.

Room Tip: Email early for your booking, and let Delia know what you are looking for. She will undoubtedly giv...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BenFromTheHub
rutlandhouse, Manager at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you so much Ben for you great and lengthly review. I am pleased I could give your wife and sister in law a haven to spend their last few days together before you went back to the USA.
It was such a pleasure having you to stay and I hope to see you all for another reunion in the future. I will pass your comments on to Andrew, he will be so pleased.
All the very best to you both.