Rutland House is a real gem. Set in a leafy suburb in a safe and lovely area of Johannesburg (who knew there were such areas?) you could be forgiven for thinking you are staying at a B & B in the english countryside. The security is excellent but unobtrusive. Once entering the high gates you enter a haven of relaxation with lovely garden areas, roses, bird sounds, and pool and everything is decorated beautifully. All the practical necessities are present e.g. free wifi, bar fridge, private entrances, bath, safe, hairdryer, and excellent pre-stay communication etc but it is the little thoughtful touches that make things special such as the fruit basket in your room, fresh roses on the breakfast table and having your room made up by the time you are finished breakfast that really stood out for me as a very frequent overseas traveller.
Breakfast (delicious and cooked to order) is served at a communal table which facilitates convival conversation among the guests. This is greatly assisted by Delia, the hostess, who possesses a remarkable gift for attracting the most interesting of people and clearly loves what she does. The only complaint I could make is that she recommended such wonderful things to do such as the nearby markets, Soweto tour etc that I invested a little too much money in supporting the South African economy and needed an extra bag to carry things home! My travel agent recommended staying at a large hotel for security but if you can have security in a lovely setting with a delightful host why would you stay anywhere else?
Disclaimer: I was here for three nights on a short stopover so I'm not sure how central the place is to downtown (from what I hear you don't want to stay there anyway) but it is close to Sandton which is a big business area. I took a cab from the airport and it cost 450 rand but you can also safely catch the train closer or Delia can apparently arrange an airport pick up for a small additional cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delia Ferguson has been extending a warm welcome to her guests since 1995. Rutland House is centrally situated in a lush half acre garden between Sandton, Rosebank, Hyde Park and Randburg. All the suites and cottages are set away from the main house, each with it's own private patio or garden. The 2 bedroom cottage is ideal for families or long stays. The one bedroom cottage is perfect for the business traveller on a contract. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Rutland House Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rutland House Bed And Breakfast
- Rutland House Hotel Johannesburg