“Wonderful Surprise”
Review of The Winston Hotel

The Winston Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Arrived late,left early but for 8 hours it was great. Would stay again because of super friendly staff.
Room was special and a joy. Breakfast was a bit disappointing. Beautiful setting and pool. Jacuzzi in the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I have stayed here three times now, and I love the place. I travel a lot, and I have seen a lot, and this is a favourite. Nice, personal feel. Great staff who remember your names. Good dining. My most receive flight was very early in, and then late out, and I did not want to have to deal with a chain hotel that makes you wait until formal check-in at 2pm and then starts kicking you out at 10am. I arrived 8am and my room was ready at Winston, and then I checked out the next day at 5pm because of evening flight. No hassles at all - just a R600 supplement to cover extra time.

Love that the Wifi is strong, free and unlimited. Love that the staff happily arrange airport and drop-off at all unusual hours. One time I hosted a work group of around 20 people in the lounge area and nothing seemed a hassle. You will see me again and again.

Room Tip: Downstairs are marginally smaller (just the balcony), and upstairs are a little more expensive and p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher C

Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Winston was built before the World Cup, but looks like its been there for 100 years at first glance (then you notice the modern art touches). The rooms are large and comfortable (but no central heating so quite chilly). The staff was very helful- due to a water main break there was no hot water on our last morning so they allowed us to return and shower in the afternoon after our tour of Soweto. Breakfast and dinner both excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank nytravell

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I was sent to South Africa on a business trip for 3 nights. I was very busy working, so much of the time was spent at the hotel itself and all I can say is it was an absolute pleasure staying there. The staff was so helpful, even upon my arrival, which was in the very early hours of the morning, they ensured that my check in was swift and that my room was prepared to perfection. Breakfast was amazing; there was both a buffet and an a’la Carte menu included in the rate of the room as well as cappuccino’s delivered to the room 24/7 (WOW!). I also ate at the restaurant, several times and I highly recommend it (be sure to try the rack of lamb yumm!!) I absolutely loved staying at The Winston, everything about it, the décor, the facilities, and especially the service was impeccable. A big thank you to The Winston and its team for making my stay so enjoyable! I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Caitlyn D

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stayed at The Winston due to a function we attended in The Rosebank Mall. Close proximity. Lovely and homely ( in a good way! ) place. Small enough for specialised intimate treatment but with a very professional feel. Good WiFi throughout the hotel. We enjoyed our night on the town and our stay in The Winston. We can recommend this establishment to leisure and business travellers.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hannelie H

Dear Hennelie H

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Winston with my daughter and sister. We loved everything about this boutique hotel. It was well appointed, cozy, and just plain beautiful. We enjoyed a nice dinner, the included breakfast and took advantage of the in room tea service. We had two rooms and found the free wifi worked well in both. Most importantly, the staff was incredible. They made sure all of our needs were met. This included helping with our baggage, arranging transfers, providing timely room service, giving us directions to the mall, and just generally being kind and welcoming. The Winston has a way of feeling like home. We will definitely stay at the Winston again if we are fortunate enough to return to South Africa.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank NJDebe
WinstonHotel342, Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear NJDebe

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The pleasure I had in staying here likely was much heightened given the sharp contrast between the quality and service at the Winston and the total lack thereof at the hotel where I had left in a huff to come here. But to be sure, I had a great stay here.
The room was wonderful: spacious, spotless (my usual bugbear), a comfy and large bed, wonderful and stylish bathroom. Yes, it was clear beforehand that the rooms have no tea-making facilities but can be ordered 24/7, but it did pain me that every cup of tea did result in a hefty tip to the waiter. The gorgeous local bathrobes, or copies thereof, can be purchased for a decent amount when checking out, so do inquire!

After staying in various 5-star hotels in South Africa, it was refreshing to meet a barman who knows his stuff! Thanks for inquiring - and not simply deciding on my behalf - whether I want a huge lump of lemon in my Hendrick's but instead, yes, maybe a few thin slices of cucumber!

Breakfast and dinner both were very good (dinner was simply excellent, in fact) and trumped what were described to me beforehand as top restaurants in Johannesburg.

The not so good: wifi failed throughout my two-day trip. No, my Mac and iPad and phone were not to blame, your wifi did not work. Not a big deal as I was at the hotel mostly when I did not require full internet access for long, but please get this fixed.
There was a problem with my booking (reception desk disputing the conditions of my booking even though I could offer hard proof of the booking details) that took just a tad too long to resolve (i.e. several hours). It was resolved finally, but without an apology, which seemed a bit ungracious. I was not exactly left with a bad taste in my mouth but it would have been a bit more courteous to just give some acknowledgement of me not having been in the wrong (which was what was stated to me rather bluntly at the outset).

Small tip on room location: for a light sleeper, the rooms facing the road are perhaps not advisable, as they carry much noise from immediate traffic but also from two roads up at the much busier Rosebank Mall.

Would I return? Most certainly! I will likely be back in South Africa in September and will most definitely be back at the Winston Hotel. A colleague has stayed here since on my advice and likewise found the Winston preferable to all other hotels we had stayed in previously in Johannesburg.

Room Tip: Rooms facing road might be too noisy for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FDanvers

Dear FDanvers

Thank you for your very positive review and for your support. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Winston Hotel and we appreciate your noticing the extra touches. I have passed your positive comment onto our staff as they are always exited to receive feedback from our guests.
During the month of May our internet service provider was busy doing upgrades to the WIFI lines to the hotel and this affected the WIFi speed at the hotel. I am glad to report that our WIFI connections has now been upgraded to the highest speed capacity as well as the hotel has optic fiber internet lines running to the property.
The Winston Hotel team pride themselves in the detail and in providing personalized service and I do apologize for the manner in which your dispute was handled and assure you that this is not the norm at the Winston hotel. I have address this incident at our next management meeting to ensure this does not happen in the future.
Once again thank you for the great feedback as this kind of feedback assist us in improving our level of service to your guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to Winston Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards