“Chic and superb !”

Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
London
“Chic and superb !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Could not fault this impeccable hotel, stayed here on a business trip and loved every moment! Truly a world class boutique hotel! Rooms were stylish and spacious. Restaurant was superb and the bar a happening hot spot! Highly recommended and will definitely return - thank you for the great experience

Room Tip: Courtyard suite was fantastic,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Jimmy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Unfortunately for us, we only stayed at the Winston for one night. The hotel is a beautiful boutique-style hotel with a lovely central courtyard containing pool, small garden and outdoor dining areas for the restaurant. The rooms have high ceilings, a separate shower and tub, tall windows and a very comfortable bed (my fiancée insisted I take a photograph of the mattress tag so that we could find it later!). Near our room at the top of the stairs, there was a sitting area with a nice selection of books on Africa and South Africa; I wish that we had stayed another few nights if only to spend some time perusing them!

The included breakfast is in the very nice hotel restaurant and was as good a menu selection as I've seen in an included hotel breakfast.

We chose the Winston due to its proximity to the Gautrain to the airport and to Park Station, as we were enroute to take the train to Cape Town and had no need for a rental car. We also received a very good rate for this style of property, and as I was not familiar with Jo'burg felt that the property and neighborhood would be a good place to spend the night. The Winston is located a short two-block walk from the Rosebank Gautrain station in a pleasant neighborhood. The Mall of Rosebank is also only a couple of blocks away, with its many shops and restaurants. That being said, when we arrived in the early evening and wanted to walk around to find a little place to eat, the manager on duty strongly recommended we did not as it was growing dark. (He said that he'd lived in the area for many years and would not hesitate himself, but as we were new to Jo'burg it would be best not to...being an experienced enough traveler I poked my head around and didn't find anything within walking distance, since the mall was closed!) We ended up eating at the hotel bar, and the food was fine.

Room Tip: Our room faced out into the car park (which is actually a cobbled, leafy area within the property...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roadbear67
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Winston Hotel, located just behind the Rosebank Gautrain is a stunning boutique hotel with a standard of excellence that catered and provided a beautiful setting for our ideal intimate wedding.

The events manager, Lana, was very accommodating with our requests. She even sourced an arch and blue carpet for the ceremony we had on the outside terrace.
The rooms all have personal character and truly boutique with exquisite furnishes such as the Winsor chairs, tasteful art work, mirrors and special touches. The food is excellent with a crumptious selection available for a set menu. The salmon starter, springbok shank and cheesecake were our personal favourite.
The waiters are friendly, experienced and provided an excellent service to our guests.

We would recommend the Winston Hotel based on their outstanding 5 star offering

Room Tip: We had a balcony room which overlooked the garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer D
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

The Winston Hotel lived up to all of my expectations (and they were high!). The welcome was warm and efficient and my room was spacious with everything I needed. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath and L'Occitane products. Air conditioning in the room was very welcome!

I enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and the staff were polite and friendly.

Nothing was too much trouble - the hotel arranged transfers for me and double-checked them for me.

I just wish I'd had longer to stay at the hotel. But I'd definitely stay again when next in Jo'Burg.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank PruS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is my first review of a hotel on TripAdvisor. I confess that I am a TripAdvisor "stalker" who reads reviews, but never posts them. That being said, I decided that the service I have received at this hotel was worth breaking my long-standing silence.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Johannesburg over the years at a range of prices and ratings. However, regardless of price, I have never had better service than I have had at the Winston. The hotel is small (30 rooms) and elegant with beautifully decorated and spacious rooms. The common areas make me feel like I am at home. Every meal I had in the restaurant was excellent. The location is convenient to the Rosebank Gautrain station, but a block off the main streets.

Most of all, the service has been outstanding. I cannot speak to those who have posted otherwise, but I have never had better service at any hotel, anywhere. For someone who travels far too much, this kind of service cannot be undervalued. My only hesitation in posting this review is that I fear there may not be a room available for me on my next trip to Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Jeff P
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I often spend time relaxing at the pool . The Winston has a personal touch which is missing in so many Joburg hotels . Every detail is tasteful and personalised . A great place for functions and weddings ... location is central just across from the Gautrain and Sunday fleamarket .. Great food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ancientsecrets
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here on my way to safari and again on my way home, to London. The rooms are spacious, spotless and sumptuous! I chose this hotel because I was a solo female traveller and did not want to feel like 'just another guest'. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I felt very safe and comfortable. The food was delicious and the wine selection excellent.

The proximity to the Gautrain is a great advantage, great new trains, very safe and inexpensive, airport to hotel in 30 mins.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo