“A beautiful wedding location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Winston Hotel

The Winston Hotel
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A beautiful wedding location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Winston Hotel, located just behind the Rosebank Gautrain is a stunning boutique hotel with a standard of excellence that catered and provided a beautiful setting for our ideal intimate wedding.

The events manager, Lana, was very accommodating with our requests. She even sourced an arch and blue carpet for the ceremony we had on the outside terrace.
The rooms all have personal character and truly boutique with exquisite furnishes such as the Winsor chairs, tasteful art work, mirrors and special touches. The food is excellent with a crumptious selection available for a set menu. The salmon starter, springbok shank and cheesecake were our personal favourite.
The waiters are friendly, experienced and provided an excellent service to our guests.

We would recommend the Winston Hotel based on their outstanding 5 star offering

Room Tip: We had a balcony room which overlooked the garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

The Winston Hotel lived up to all of my expectations (and they were high!). The welcome was warm and efficient and my room was spacious with everything I needed. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath and L'Occitane products. Air conditioning in the room was very welcome!

I enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and the staff were polite and friendly.

Nothing was too much trouble - the hotel arranged transfers for me and double-checked them for me.

I just wish I'd had longer to stay at the hotel. But I'd definitely stay again when next in Jo'Burg.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank PruS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is my first review of a hotel on TripAdvisor. I confess that I am a TripAdvisor "stalker" who reads reviews, but never posts them. That being said, I decided that the service I have received at this hotel was worth breaking my long-standing silence.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Johannesburg over the years at a range of prices and ratings. However, regardless of price, I have never had better service than I have had at the Winston. The hotel is small (30 rooms) and elegant with beautifully decorated and spacious rooms. The common areas make me feel like I am at home. Every meal I had in the restaurant was excellent. The location is convenient to the Rosebank Gautrain station, but a block off the main streets.

Most of all, the service has been outstanding. I cannot speak to those who have posted otherwise, but I have never had better service at any hotel, anywhere. For someone who travels far too much, this kind of service cannot be undervalued. My only hesitation in posting this review is that I fear there may not be a room available for me on my next trip to Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Jeff P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I often spend time relaxing at the pool . The Winston has a personal touch which is missing in so many Joburg hotels . Every detail is tasteful and personalised . A great place for functions and weddings ... location is central just across from the Gautrain and Sunday fleamarket .. Great food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ancientsecrets
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here on my way to safari and again on my way home, to London. The rooms are spacious, spotless and sumptuous! I chose this hotel because I was a solo female traveller and did not want to feel like 'just another guest'. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I felt very safe and comfortable. The food was delicious and the wine selection excellent.

The proximity to the Gautrain is a great advantage, great new trains, very safe and inexpensive, airport to hotel in 30 mins.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in this hotel while we waited for renovations in our new house to be completed. Hotel is great, but service is exceptionally slow in the restuarant. We also had dinner several times before our stay there, and even then service during dinner was very slow. Both dinner and breakfast service was significantly below average. Would be great if they had a spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WinstonHotel342, General Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
We regret to hear that you experienced slow service with us. To us, guest satisfaction is paramount and we thank you for your feedback. We strive to make each and every guest's experience memorable and we will prioritize this matter immediately. We hope to see you soon.
Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Spent three nights in Johannesburg after a safari and I am really glad I chose the Winston. It is well-appointed and comfortable, with very accomodating service and excellent food. Quick walk to the Gautrain and the Rosebank Mall, with a reasonable African Crafts Market open 9-6 every day. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family