“WAY different than we expected!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 170 things to do in Johannesburg
Portland Oregonn, USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“WAY different than we expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We all expected this to be a somewhat scary experience. Instead, everyone we met was warm and interested in us and in talking about their lives. We toured with Big Six Tours and it was worth it to see be able to learn about the history, the neighborhoods, the culture and the evolution of the townships. Stop in to the Hector Pieterson museum while there as it was educational and gave a memorable point of reference for all of us.

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Don't miss the chance to see Soweto, even though it is an uncomfortable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

After 3 weeks in South Africa where we had seen townships on the edge of every city, it was incredibly enlightening to take a tour of Soweto and learn more about township living generally. Our guide Kearan was a Soweto resident, and he was an incredible resource in explaining both the history and sociology of Soweto. We were surprised that many parts of Soweto were more prosperous and better developed than other townships I'd seen, but also walked through Kliptpwn (one of the "unpermitted" settlements for the poorest of the poor) and were devastated by the living conditions there. It is really important to see and understand this, but also uncomfortable to be a tourist peering at people's lives.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Christine T
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Resilience and Pride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My tour of the Soweto township was initially mixed as I resented the idea of having a stadium seat to human struggles. Having said that, I would have missed out if I had not pushed myself to do this tour. I have never seen nor experienced such resilience and hope in a community. It helped me to understand how much more I should be doing and that we have a lot to be grateful for. I learned so much from the people I met including the kids from kliptown. They did an amazing performance for us and I will relive that joy and laughter for years to come...until at least I can return. Please visit Kliptown and see the kids they are AMAZING!!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Brookeburke
London, Ontario
198 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 282 helpful votes
“An educational visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I attended a short tour of Soweto with a local guide and learned a great deal about its residents and how they live. Soweto is much more than a shanty-town as I had preconceived it. It's residents are proud people with an interesting history. It is the home of bishop Tutu and of course Nelson Mandela. There is widespread poverty but also some remarkable prosperous neighbourhoods where the residents look out for each other. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Geoscientist
Boston, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Soweto”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

People live here for heavens sake, would we be asked to rate Newton, MA or Beverly Hills? This is crass Trip Advisor.

Visited May 2013