“SoWeTo!” 5 of 5 bubbles

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“SoWeTo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place was also Amazing. I originally went to see the Mandela house, which was quite nice, but ended up taking more interest in the local community. As it was put to me, SoWeTo is like the Ghetto's of JoBurg, minus the inner-city slums. However, when I was there the people were amazing! Very very friendly, very accommodating, and interesting to say the least. Street Performers, one of whom rapped and sang to me about his life in the streets of SoWeTo, and street side vendors. Amazing restaurants. Granted I was in the Touristy side of SoWeTo, but it was still awesome to say the least.

Visited December 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A great place to vist on with a tour guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We traveled with moafrikatours for the day. The guide was great. He explained the history and development of the town.Do not go without a guide. We did not have time to walk through the shanties, but I do not think we missed anything. Driving through the town was interesting. Most of the area was gentrified with small middle-class homes. However, seeing the lodging for the former miners was very interesting. We visited the Vilakazi Street. I am happy that I went. Bring along water for the ride.

Visited January 2013
Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
“City of Hope for the new South Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

very nice people and alcohol is very cheap. It give you the sense of South African spirit. This is where the Nelson Mandelas and other freedom veterans used to live. It has a rich history, the uprising of the 1976 happened here. I would like to look it this place as the city of hope for the new South Africa as we know it

Visited October 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“This is the nude reality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Much has been already said in all previous reviews. You just have to go to Soweto and visit and see how the people live there. We did a cycling tour, were walking in between the shacks and see how people manage their lives. Another must sees are the Nelson Mandela House and the Hector Peterson Museum. However, it is just great to drive around during the day and observe the people.

Visited November 2012
Naperville, Illinois
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Soweto is huge and interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went with Ekala Eco tours and the personal insights as well as the history helped make the huge area a bit more understandable. If you just drove around without some plan and commentary, I think it would look like a mixed lower/middle income suburban area.

Visited December 2012