“Alright”

$46.08*
and up
Johannesburg Zoo Half-Day Guided Tour
Reviewed October 10, 2012

In all honesty, why would want to go to a zoo if you can drive an hour to the Johannesburg area and see animals in the wild?
In my opinion, Zoos in South Africa should be as common as McDonald in Iceland, there should be one, if any.
South Africa has such a diversity of natural reserves that i would strongly recommend saving to go to a proper reserve than to waste your time looking at depressed animals in cages.

The Zoo itself was alright though.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

It is one of the few places in the world with white lions (a genetic mutation of African lions), and has had considerable success in their breeding; these are more sought after than tawny lions by other zoos. The Johannesburg Zoo is also the only zoo in South Africa to have successfully bred Siberian Tigers, the largest cats in the world. "Twist" the male Siberian, weighs 320 kg, and is the father of all the Siberian Tigers to be found in South Africa. Max the gorilla was probably the Zoo's best known resident. After all this place is really kept perfect.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I love that this zoo in the middle of Joburg can just take you away from the city. Love seeing all the animals and the environment is so warm and welcoming.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I'm not a big fan of zoos & this one did nothing to change my mind! There is a good selection of animals to see - although lions were not around when we went! Having just been on safari here seeing the animals in a small, enclosed space didn't really grab me! And go to the bathroom before you go & then hold on for the rest of the visit!!
Good for smaller kids & cheap to get in so it makes a reasonable day out in Joberg.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was born in Johannesburg and after many decades and on a recent business trip found I had an hour to kill early one Saturday morning so I decided to visit the the zoo to see how it looked since I was a pupil when we used to visit the zoo as part of a school trip. I was very pleasantly impressed with the clean open spaces, the well signposted wide pathways and the ease with which one can get about and see the wide range of animals in good sized and natural looking enclosures. Unfortunately the impressive lion enclosure was devoid of lions when I was there; perhaps I was just too early! Many of the walkways, including some where you walk into the enclosures, and others that went over the enclosure, ensured one got close up to the animals. I would highly recommend this attraction for visitors to Jozi!