“Fun Fun Fun”

and up
Johannesburg Combo: City Sightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off and Soweto Tours
Ranked #8 of 183 things to do in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Gold Reef City is a premier entertainment destination in the south of Johannesburg, reminiscent of an authentic turn-of-the-century mining town which is conveniently situated close to the centre of Johannesburg or just 20 minutes from OR Tambo Airport. The resort offers a variety of entertainment for both the young and young at heart which includes a state of the art casino, two 4-star hotels, conferencing and teambuilding facilities, a thrilling theme park,a spectacular theatre featuring live productions and a variety of restaurants and fast foods for every taste. Also located on the premises is the world renowned Apartheid Museum and the Red Bus City Sightseeing Tours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Went in Dec 2012 and spent a night at the hotel in the Theme Park. We were a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and we all had fun. Rides to cater for all tastes from frenetic to the sedate PLUS the bonus is that there was a circus show on during our visit and this is all included in the price of the ticket to the theme park.

1  Thank Mohammed L

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I find the park very expensive and most of the times half of the rides are not working.Gold Reef has a lot to learn from other countries who have excellent parks.Thequeues are always long and theres no proper supervision.Unfortunately its the only park in Joburg so theres no competition and our kids don't have much choice for entertainment but its about time they jacked up.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Gold Reef City is conveniently located in Johannesburg, and is a fun day out for the whole family. The theme park has rides to suit a variety of ages, as well as restaurants throughout the park to grab lunch. If you're looking for a fun day out, this is an activity for you.

1  Thank Gabriella B
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have been going to Gold Reef City quite requlary in the last 15 years and it is always worth the trip. The only real problem is how busy it gets and therefore how long you queue for a ride.

I suggest going on a week day off peak, or make sure you are there literally as the gates open, so you have some time to get to all the rides. You need a whole day here.

If you stay at the Theme Park Hotel, entrance to the theme park is free, and you are there as the rides open.

An amazing day out for any Thrill Seeker :)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I visited the theme park on the 21st of November this week as part of a staff function for HeronBridge College. I am a teacher at the college and am also by birth an amputee. (missing my right hand) During the course of the morning i enjoyed many of the rides which where functional as i have done before in my visits to Gold Reef (runaway train, UFO, Golden Loop).

Upon arriving at the Anaconda i took my seat like everyone else and was beginning to strap in, when the operator of the ride approached me and told me i was not allowed to ride the Anaconda with one hand. I told her I appreciated her concern but that I had in fact ridden the Anaconda many times in the past and that my single handedness was of no limitation to me. She refused to let me proceed on the ride and so I asked her to call a superior so that I could reassure them of my capability so that I could ride the anaconda and continue enjoying my day which was paid for in-full.

After much arguing Neither the Supervisor, nor the Manager nor the guest relations officer showed any understanding nor leniency towards me . They all simply referenced their policy. Despite all staff being very aware of the policy I was not stopped once through out the morning while on other thrill rides nor was I told at the gate that I would not be allowed to ride certain rides in the park.

I am aware that physically and mentally disabled may struggle to partake in some of the rides and I am also aware that during an evacuation their lack of ability may cause serious complications. However, there is no sign of any discrimination towards the elderly, overweight or ill people, which may in fact too cause serious complications during an evacuation.

Despite all of my points above I feel that you evacuation plan should in no way be dependent on the ability of patrons to help themselves! Your staff should be trained to such an extent that the enjoyment of the theme park can be extended to any individual who is interested in participating. The average person stuck 50m above the ground on a roller coaster during a power failure would be far too scared to help themselves able bodied or not.

I in my entire 28 years have never been denied access to anything due to my "disability" I have a Public Driving Permit to transport passengers in a 16 Ton vehicle, I have a license to ride any size motorcycle I like, but according your policy I am not allowed to sit back and enjoy a roller coaster.

Later on this year I plan to be the first single handed mountaineer to climb to the summit of Mount Kenya highest technical peaks. In the press coverage I manage to obtain I will be sure to mention how there are several narrow minded people out there who think people with "disabilities" deserve to live limited lives.

I would appreciate a response on how you plan to change your clause so as not to discriminate people who are able but may be 'disabled' in view of the public.

10  Thank NicPaidas