“A Room with a View and More!”
Review of A Room with a View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
A Room with a View
Ranked #144 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I had read a very complimentary snippet in a travel magazine about this guesthouse, and so I booked a room here, for three nights. I am a regular visitor to Melville.

As another member stated, it is helpful to have a GPS with you, and with that, it easy find it; otherwise, good luck! Made by bookings by email, and I quickly received a form to complete; payment upfront is required by means of credit card or bank transfer.

My flight arrived early in the morning, and I was at their door before 9:00, and that did not pose a problem whatsoever. I was quickly taken to a room on the first floor above the breakfast room.

First Impressions:

This guesthouse sits on top of a hill and the house does look like a small castle! The decor is very quirky and artsy, and there seems to be “one-of a kind” items throughout the place.

My Room:

I had a full view of the swimming pool, and partial view of the Koppies. There was also a little balcony with a small round table and chair. The things in the room are old, but more like “collectibles” rather than "tired-old." The king bed had a wrought-iron frame, tons of pillows, a wonderful duvet, and blankets. While it was not cold enough to light up the fireplace in the room, it was chilly at night, and the duvet was gorgeous! Believe me, Joburg on a cold winter day is miserable, and a fireplace is heaven sent!

The bathroom is BIG; the shower is huge, with a two shower heads, situated opposite each other, and there is also a bathtub. The toiletries are plentiful, as are the towels! A little table to place my toiletries inside the bathroom would have been really handy, but was absent.

While there was no safe in my room, I was given the keys to a lockable closet (wardrobe), and I felt my things were perfectly safe in there.

Breakfast:

I always managed to time my breakfast when there was nobody in the dining room, so, I felt that 1) I got a well prepared brekkie, and 2) had the opportunity to chit-chat with that wonderful gentleman from Zim (Zimbabwe); the chef.

Other amenities:

Had some clothes washed and ironed, and they were delivered the same day; prices are extremely reasonable!

Free Wi-Fi!

Dislikes:

The parking inside the B&B is limited to may six-eight cars. One time I was so far into a nook, that I had to ask a staffer to drive the car out of the parking area. Of course, I suspect she does this frequently, as she maneuvered the car out of there in two seconds flat!

And, there are stairs everywhere, and if you have 1) heavy luggage or 2) you are mobility-impaired, you will not be a happy camper! So, make sure you ask for assistance with the bags, and if you can’t move about too well, you need to let them know.

Summary:

Truthfully, in spite of the stairs and more stairs, and the parking situation, I enjoyed my stay at this lovely, quirky, artsy, and neurotic B&B!

The area is perfectly safe, and during the daylight, either mornings or late afternoons, I have many a times ventured out for a stroll in the immediate B&B’s area (I've stayed in another B&B near this one). If you’re into fitness, you’ll be challenged by the many hills! However, to go out for dinner on 7th street, etc., it is recommended that you take your car or a taxi, as the guesthouse is a little far from the action (about 2 kilometers), and it is probably not safe to walk at night, as the neighborhood tends to be poorly illuminated.

Room Tip: If you are mobility-impaired, advise management. The rooms with views of the Koppies or the pool ar...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank reginafug

Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was my first time in Johannesburg, and I was concerned about safety. This hotel, as other reviews state, is like a small castle with superb views over the city. I reserved a luxury suit but was upgraded - it looked very slow season in the beggining of October. Our room was in the upper part, just by a beautiful pool (though the water was too cold to get in). It was quite a big place, with a fire place (it was not that cold, so we didn't use it), and a very big bathroom, with a bathtub and two showers (can you imagine that?!). The breakfast is so big it will keep you full for the next 6 hours or more. I can see that, since the floor are in ceramic, it can get very chilling during the winter time. But we arrived in spring, so we didn't have any problems with temperature. And the bed is king size, with very upstandard sheets. I would recommend anyone this property. Just notice that if you're thinking about renting a car, do not forget to bring a GPS - you cannot get no decent free maps in this city, and, as I said, the hotel is away from main roads, so you have to know where you're headding to find it out safely.

Room Tip: Ask for the room I stayed at, besides the pool, with a big balcony overlooking the city.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank baianointheworld
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This accommodation is very different to anywhere we have stayed before. Each room is quirky and with such high ceilings you get a real sense of space. Views are fantastic. Brenda looked after us so well.Location was great for us and we could get cabs cheaply to places we needed to go.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank jane_cavanagh
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed at, but of course such things are subjective. It was elegant, interesting, cozy, homey and relaxing - the hotel was built in bits, making it appear haphazard but every corner & staircase made me want to explore! I loved spending time by the pool, even though it was winter, because it was so quiet and peaceful and stunning to behold. The breakfast room is lovely, with traditional Afrikaans decor (complete with stuffed game!) and soft, mismatched couches around a roaring fire. Breakfast was pretty good, staff were pleasant enough (Brenda, the manager, was actually nice enough to pick us up from the bus station at 5.30am in her own car - which I later paid for, of course). Another room I didn't discover until too late was a room upstairs above the pool, which is open to all guests and has a constantly burning fireplace & terrific views - and you can smoke! The hotel was so lovely that I was tempted to stay there all day instead of exploring Joburg. The bathtub was enormously deep, and I loved the toiletries provided. Things that could be improved is the price (but really, it's pretty reasonable), friendliness of staff, size of room (I took the cheapest twin room), facilities in room (quite basic), general service (this was also pretty basic). All in all you'd possibly get better or equal value at the more modern chain hotels, but this one has character and style, and you probably won't forget it - it depends on what makes you feel more satisfied. In this case, I feel fulfilled & that I got value for money & wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Tip: I tried to book through all the hotel websites but they all said the rooms were fully booked, so I contacted the hotel directly & got a room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank eunicelanna
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This was one of the best places I have been to. It is like living in a fairy tale. Everybody is friendly and we felt like at home - we could even do a "braai" in the "castle" permises. Lovely, just perfect. Breakfast was delicious and generous. It certainly worth the money - we even got an upgrade to a better room because we were staying 3 nights! It was just perfect!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Coroaci
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Booking: got a last minute room for less than half the price of the Holiday Inn Sandton. Room With a View is a hip and beautiful place to stay as in "if you only can stay one place in Johannesburg..." stay here! Its in an old mansion type building with some of the best views of downtown (free too)!

Staff: very helpful. One night they had no one there overnight which was fine but given a choice I would have preferred they had a 24/7 security guard at least.

Area: Great! Melville, Johannesburg is walkable, funky and fun ala a New York City East Village. Room With A View is an easy walk during day but take a cab home at night to be safe (as with everywhere in Johannesburg).

Rooms: Very hip and included free wifi that was encrypted! For those that know, this is great by b&b wifi standards

Great place and Im very picky.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank jsbslam
Reviewed December 4, 2009

The Room with a View took a bit of finding in the dark as the signposting in Jo Burg is not great. The whole place is a most eccentric design with columns all over the place and windows in odd places, whether you like it or not you certainly won't forget staying here.
For a city it is quite quiet and the restaurants of Melville are only a 10 minute walk away (despite Jo Burgs reputation it semed fairly safe to walk in this area at night). They make a big deal about their breakfasts, they were fine but having hyped them up they were a bit of a disappointment, we had better during our month in South Africa and Mozambique.
Free WiFi and secure car parking is a great plus.
The Room with a View is certainly a much better option than the dull chain hotels which most people stay in when in Jo Burg.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple