“Enjoyable restaurant in Maboneng Precinct”
Review of Pata Pata

Pata Pata
Ranked #108 of 1,499 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: African
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I recently led a group of students to South Africa and we stayed in Maboneng. We had dinner twice at Pata Pata and had delicious food, attentive service, and great music both nights. With dishes including stuffed chicken, impala, zebra, and more, Pata Pata offers something for everyone. This place is part of a great rejuvenation of inner city Joburg in Maboneng; check it out!

Date of visit: May 2014

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had lunch at Pata Pata on a Saturday afternoon and the first thing I noticed was the trendy, arty crowd and a very relaxed atmosphere about the place. The decor seemed to be a kind of shabby chic mixed with vintage, but on looking closer, we realized that it was just old. Some of the cushions have seen better days and in need more stuffing and to be mended. The waiter was very friendly and attentive, but the food took about 45 minutes to arrive! I had the Pata Pata burger, which was beautifully presented, but the taste was average at best. My friend had the Mozambique curry, which was a much tastier than the burger. After we had our lunch and coffees, I asked for hot water with a slice of lemon, now imagine my surprise when the bill arrived and I'd been charged R6 for tap water. When I asked the waiter, he informed that they were charging me for heating the water!!! Feels like daylight robbery to me and I will not be returning to this establishment again.

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Great area with interesting places around. Nice vibe and colourful people. Service great and friendly. Food average and kitchen has to stretch to serve large groups

Reviewed March 9, 2014

The decor is homely and welcoming, you feel like you in a family home, with that retro feeling...the service is great and yes the food is amazing...

Date of visit: February 2014
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Went to Pata Pata the other night as a last minute decision. It was a wonderful Johannesburg late summer evening - warm with a light wind. We sat outside on the street and watched the world go by - a real pleasure in itself in Johannesburg's inner city. The service was fast and attentive - it was quiet, but you could see that the staff were on top of things. The beer was cold, which is always good. We had rib-eye steaks that really were what they said they were - massive things with a bone that the dogs were still getting through the next day. So not much finesse or imagination in the way that the steak was done - and expensive at R145 each. The place is clean, the people friendly, but I think the kitchen is average - Pata Pata works best as a bar and people meeting place than just as a restaurant. Worth going to for its position and for what is going on around it, but don't expect too much out of the kitchen.

Date of visit: February 2014