“Great Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Knysna, South Africa
“Great Food”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The total experience was fantastic, from the welcome to the service and the food was absolutely great. And to top it all the food was very affordable.

• Visited August 2014

Solymar, Hungary
“A bit(e) of Italy”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Pollo Pesto was good, including the the pesto... at reasonable price with good service just like in all restaurants around

Visited March 2014
Sasolburg, South Africa
“The best oxtail I have ever tasted”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We visited Montecasino to watch a play and enjoy and evening out. In Montecasino there are really quite a number of restaurants. As I was reading the menue on display at Donatella's restaurant and the manager approached me and asked if he could be of assistance. I was looking for a good Oxtail while not limiting the choices of my family. He promised me that the oxtail was top quality.

Before I entered I quickly looked up the previous Trip Adviser reviews on Donatella's restaurant. I was disappointed about the one negative review on the Oxtail. Despite this I decided to proceed and order the oxtail.

I was not sorry that I ordered the oxtail. It was one of the best oxtail meals I have ever had in a restaurant.

Our waiter (Major) was very friendly and helpful. My dad (90 years old) was assisted with his walker to reach his chair safely, my son was treated with what he described as an amazing Lamb shank and the rest of the family received exactly what they ordered.

The experience in Donatella's restaurant set the tone for us to enjoy our play.

I can really recommend this restaurant - Keep up the good work

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Boschenvaal
Durban
“Best of Italy”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I love Italian food and I have eaten at many restaurants. This one always amazes me. The food always tastes good every time we eat there. Whether it is Italian cuisine or not.

Visited April 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“The worst oxtail I have ever tasted”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I went for dinner at Donatella's on Good Friday and we were disappointed. Seeing oxtail on the menu and knowing how good it is in South Africa I decided to go for it. My husband went for a small pizza. I chose to have it with rice. When it came it was huge, which was not much of a problem because we sort of expected it and my husband promised to dig in. We were so hungry! So I went into it as soon as it was delivered. The rice was hard - as it was cooked yesterday and then stored in the fridge. it was also not warm enough. The oxtail tasted burnt. I kept trying and hoping that i will get to the nice taste. I then gave up without telling my husband what the problem was. so he dug in and was immediately not impressed. He asked me what was wrong with it and I said I had no idea. So we told the waiter when he came to collect the plates, of course the oxtail plate still full. He did not tell us but went on to call the manager who came to our table and looked at us. Without knowing who she is I asked her is there was something wrong. She gave me an irritated look and then went off. The waiter then came back to our table and said did you meet the manager. So I said, is it the woman who came to our table and then stood here without saying a word. He said, "yes". So I said to him there was no way we would have known what she wanted because she did not tell us. At that point I realised that there is a communication problem in this restaurant and so complaining will probably not yield any results. One thing for sure is that I will never go back there again. I am generally not fussy and this is the first poor review I am writing. All my reviews have been positive. There are many restaurants in Montecassino, so do not go there. But if you ever find yourself at Donatella's then please stay away from the oxtail.

• Visited April 2014