“Great day out”

and up
City Sightseeing Johannesburg Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #4 of 92 Tours in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: For the best way to see Johannesburg & Soweto. Travel by double decker, open-top red bus. Explore the City of Gold’s attractions at your own pace. Simply hop off and on at any of our stops with your ticket. Buses connect to the unique Soweto taxi tour extension, allowing you to visit this vibrant area near Johannesburg. Regular departures, 7 days a week – from 9am daily. Secure parking and departure points at Gautrain Station at Park and Gold Reef City Hotel. Visit the Apartheid Museum, Constitution Hill and James Hall Transport Museum and Mining District.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great day out”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I live in Johannesburg and last weekend my family and I went on this bus tour around Joburg City. It was a great day out. Informative, professional and fun.

I would definitely recommend this, especially for locals. It's great to learn more about the city we live in.

2 Thank AndyDrewSA

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great tour through Joburg”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I decided to take the hop on hop off tour through Joburg recently and we were pleasantly surprised at all the things this diverse city has to offer. There are some awesome museums well worth the visit. The ones worth mentioning are Constitution Hill, Apartheid Museum and Origins Centre. The staff on the tour are really friendly and made our day out enjoyable. The commentary on this tour is both interesting and informative. If we had more time available, we would have bought the 2 days pass as this allows more time to visit the attractions. Great tour, will be back on our next trip.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Paul W
Cape Town
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An eye-opener!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Being from Cape Town, you have a perception of Jozi, it is dangerous and there is nothing to see or do. Taking the hop-on-hop-off bus was a great experience. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. From the busy streets with its vendors to learning more of our country's history, the tour is well rounded and very informative. I will definitely recommend taking the two day ticket on offer as there is so much to see and do, one day is just not enough! What a great concept to promote our beautiful country.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank MicksV
Linkoping, Sweden
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Not worth the money ”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

When getting on the bus at Park station I told the driver that I was interested in adding the Soweto tour, but was on a tight schedule. However, he told me that it would be no problem making it in time, so I bought the Soweto ticket too (total R400).
When getting to the stop where I was supposed to take the Soweto taxi I realized that the next taxi leaving was leaving way too (about 1.5h) late to make it in time. A big disappointed and wasted money.

The tour on itself was rather dull, with information that you might add well take 10 minutes to read on wiki page or two.

Some of the stops, including the trip to Soweto are definitely worth a visit of course. However, last time in joburg I used public transport, mostly the minibusses. This was a way more efficient, less expensive (extremely cheap in fact) and most of all more rewarding way to experiencing the city. Rather than having a recorded guide exaggerating the buty of some graphity, sculptures, etc, you got to meet and talk with real joburgers.

Some might argue that this might be unsafe, but my experience was really good. People, especially on the minibusses, where really kind and helpful, while on the city sightseeing tour they where not neither especially kind (not saying they where unkind) or helpful.

If you feel unsafe traveling by public transport, especially the minibusses, or your own (rented) car, then this might still be a good option for you to get between the different sites, but don't expect anything from the tour itself.

Final note: they claim to have free wifi on the busses. However on neither of the busses I tried they succeeded to give me access for more than a few seconds (and I'm not exaggerating). In other words use a hotspot before jumping on the bus if there is something you want to check.

2 Thank Jan B
CSScpt, Director of Sales at City Sightseeing Joburg, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing our Johannesburg tour. We are naturally disappointed about your comments. Our Jo’burg team take great care in looking after each of our passengers to make sure that everybody has a great experience and leaves the city with a renewed opinion and optimism.

We have worked very hard to create a safe, reliable, fun and top class tour infrastructure with the latest in imported buses. Given the quality of the operation, R 150 (R 130 online) is very good value for money by South African and world standards (approx Euro 10). A cappuccino costs upwards of R 20!

I am sorry you missed the taxi to Soweto tour departure at Stop 6. I could be that you visited some of the stops before and lost track of time, as our timetable is quite clear. I am pleased to report that we have managed to find the fault with the wifi transmitters on two of our buses and this should be repaired very soon - mobile internet is new technology here in South Africa.

I am also very sorry that you did not like the commentary. A team of over 10 people spent many months researching the history to compile the stories that seem to appeal to the great majority of guest’s, who describe our commentary as entertaining, informative and educational.

I acknowledge that our type of business is not for everybody and that our offering might not have been to your liking. I would however caution travelers about your advice of using local taxi’s freely. Not everybody is an adventure traveler.

We are very proud of what we have put together and remain committed to change perceptions to ensure that Jo’burg can again take its rightful place on the world’s tourism map. For those readers who appreciate a good HOHO tour, I would encourage you not to give this tour a miss. You will not be disappointed!
Cork
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“The first thing we look for when we visit a new city. The City Tour Bus”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

When we told our friends we were visiting Johannesburg, they said we were mad. It's dangerous, there's nothing to see in the city. How wrong they were. We always look for the city tour bus. You get to guage it for yourself from the top of the bus. It's not the prettiest city but it is very interesting, colourful and noisy. It's a two hour round trip with lots to see. We spent the whole day in the city. Great to sit back and hear the history of the city. We were lucky because we connected with the SOWETO tour which was amazing. We had the guide, driver and mini bus to ourselves and they know their stuff. Good value and good fun.

Visited September 2013