“Fong Mei in Rivonia”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We had an excellent Chinese meal at Fong Mei, in Rivonia, Sandton, on Friday night. Excellent food, good and fast service and a great ambience. It is not quite the same as Cyrildene in it's surroundings but the food was on a par, if not better. Try the Crispy Beef, the Sweet and Sour Soup and the Sizzling Prawns and Chicken. The Bow Ties with the Green Tea were large and delicious. We shall go back

2  Thank Marie-Louise V

Reviewed May 8, 2014

A wonderful experience of the genuine thing!! Even the bill was written in Mandarin!!

The food tasty, well prepared and more than sufficient!! Not the normal small little bowls we get elsewhere. We where too full for dessert!!

The menu has a large variety and we will be back to try the other dishes.

A definite recommendation, do not let the area put you off!! It adds to the experience and we felt safe the whole time.

A word of warning - watch out for the offer a Chinese Rum/Brandy - it is a mule in liquid form that kicks!!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have been coming to Fong Mei for the better part of 8 years and will continue to do so. The Crispy Beef, sizzling chicken with Chinese sauce, sizzling beef with pepper sauce and salt & pepper calamari are firm favorites. We are always made to feel welcome by Lu and his daughter Fiona when she is there.

The restaurant is small with only 6 or 7 tables so booking is essential!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

By pure chance we happened to park right outside Fong Mei, looking to find good chinese in Cyrildene. We asked a few locals and everyone pointed to Fong Mei, seeing the chef standing outside greeting his patrons, we decided it was the place to go.

We were NOT disappointed.
The best sweet and sour pork I've ever tasted.
Awesome fried rice!
I can't wait to go back and try the crispy beef!

The only complaint I have is that, no other Chinese restaurant will ever be as good!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I love Fong Mei. I llive in London and dream about Fong Mei. The crispy beef, the sizzling kingclip, even the chicken chow mein, far surpass any chinese I've had in Europe. Whenever I return to JHB, I go to the Fong. Starters: the dumplings are delicious; fluffy and packed with pork. They're brilliant when munched with a bit of bok choi. The crispy beef is my ultimate though. It is gingery and sweet, but not deep fried to a leathery shoelace crisp. Instead it retains succulence and flavour wrapped in a crispy shell. The spare ribs are also delicious. And the Peking duck! Oh the Peking duck! More duck and pancakes than you can shake a chopstck at, served with plum sauce, spring onions and cucumber. Heaven! The hot pots are great (but I'm not really one for spice food, so I generally err on the noodle side of life). Essentially: if you're looking for great chinese in JHB, hit Fong mei. The ambience isn't amazing (white plastic picnic tables outside and simple furniture inside), but if it bugs you, get a takeaway. For me it's worht it to sit there just in case I want to order something extra.