“Margarita Mondays...Holla!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 9, 2013

2 for one frozen margs on mondays....the food looked delicous with big portion sizes...in a safe area and the service was good as well

There are newer reviews for Cafe Mexicho

Reviewed April 9, 2013

After enjoying a meal at a Brazilian eatery in London 2 years ago, the time was right to find one locally.
My son found this establishment in the rather Bohemian suburb of Mellville.
He had been before and suggested we try it out.
Situated next to an old time barbershop,around the corner from the more active 7th street,the exterior with saloon type swing doors,could easily pass for the real thing in Brazil.
We went at lunchtime without booking as per my preference,but we were advised to book for an evening experience.
Starters such as small nachos,jalapenos with cheese and bacon,chicken-wings,(their speciality),deep fried cocktail viennas,Summer salad,taco salad and deep fried onion rings stuffed with guacamole,re-fried beans,spiced potato fries covered with cheese and salsa are available from R25 to R48.
A good range of typical mains such as Nachos Pequenos,hamburguesa,enchiladas,quesadilla,sincronizada,burrito, chimichanga, tacosfajita,bistek alamexicana,pollo de guadalara,chili con carne,tostadas ranging from R65 to R180 are on menu.
I have deliberately kept the original meal names so as to encourage you to enjoy the experience of following the description on the menu.
Side orders of chopped chili,sour cream,yellow corn wheat tortilla,blue cheese sauce,Spanish rice,chopped jalapeno,guacamole,salsa,small cheese,nachos chips basket,tomato and onion,extra fajita beef strips,chicken,mince,ham chorizo can enhance the mains at prices ranging from R 6 to R27.
Desserts: benuelos,apple-pie-rito and ice cream are to be had for R35 to R38.
Corona beer with lemon and of course,Tequila ,with a full bar are also on order.
Spicy and tasty,the way I like my food.
Service quick and efficient .
I have rated the atmosphere as average,but it was a quiet day and I feel the place really would rock at night,so this may seem a little unfair.
Families with young children should visit during the day as tequila fuelled patrons at night should get rowdy.
Parking, especially at night is tight and beware of some suspect car-guards and chancers,as in any part of the world.
I would like to try an evening visit to fullfil the true Mexican feel.
Try it, you may even feel a Mexican wave coming on!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Finale found great mexican food in South africa . Everthing we ordered was great , the portions were well worth the money the only down side to the whole experience was the parking on the street but thats not the resturants fault. I would highly recomend the xxl burrito..... could feed a family of 4 , as well as the steak fajitas my wifes mouth was wattering.
2 thumbs up
Our new weekend delight

1  Thank justindzs
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My friend and I frequent Cafe Mexicho about once a fortnight or once a month. As one of the only Mexican places in Johannesburg, it serves a delicious frozen margherita that can also be quite murderous as you simply have to have another. The service is bouncy and on point. The chilli poppers are hot, the decor is quirky, and the coronas, ice-cold and continuous. Love this place. Keep coming back.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My age has influenced my overall rating. It was too vibey for me and a little too rustic but I can see how this appeals to young people. We were with a crowd of people for a birthday. The restaurant had given the rear end of the small room to the revelers and many stood around chatting and snacking. There were benches and longer tables for people to sit. We sat at a high table with high stools and no backs. This is where I was a little uncomfortable. The food was rather tasty and came on platters from which we snacked. I am not sure if separate individual orders an be made as the food had been preordered. It seemed fresh enough and was presented on large plates and we could eat on separate smaller plates having chosen our fare from the platter.
There was a bar that served Mexican beers and our table enjoyed what was on offer.
The acoustics are poor and so my ears were ringing at the end of the evening and I could not wait to get out. Had we sat nearer to the exit perhaps it would have been quieter. On a cold night I wonder how the saloon doors keep the people warm.
The front is quaint showing the sign for past businesses.
An experience and possibly worth doing but not sure it is worth repeating.