“Good alternative to the hotel Restaurant.”
Review of Karoo Cattle and Land - CLOSED

Karoo Cattle and Land
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

5 min walk from the Rosebank hotel, this place is a gem if you like traditional South African cooking. Food was excellent and the service was excellent as well. Plus side I payed with a Thomas Cook Cash passport, and did not get charged a percentage for using it.

There are newer reviews for Karoo Cattle and Land

Reviewed November 22, 2012

A pleasant setting with a balcony ,sadly overlooking very busy Witkoppen Road.They have a free salad buffet for starters, but not with a great choice and rather average dressing.However there is a super value there for what they call " a really big filet steak", it is a toned down version of the famous Chateaubriand - without flames and sauce bearnaise!.It is served for 2 people with chips or rice and some veggies. Filet is really very well prepared ,plenty for 2 people and very tasty.With a good price and have been there to have it already 4 times in 2012!. Wine list in average and service as nearly everywhere in SA rather slow and not well trained, but one is unfortunately used to it!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

On arrival the lady welcoming us was very friendly which impressed me from the word go. Service started off really well with the waiter being attentive. Everything was great from decor to ambience.... The only thing I am not impressed about is the food. If you don't order a sauce for your steak, be prepared for a bland tasteless piece of meat. Whats a bonus is that they have a small fireplace where they put skewered marshmallows and chocolate dipping sauce. this is nice for extra socialising with friends.

1  Thank GCSJohannesburg
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stay at City Lodge about 100m from Karoo for a week each month. So I usually eat here at least once a month. The menu is pretty good with steaks, burgers, chicken, lots of starters, traditional S African, plus vegetarian. Steaks are R100-150. The food is good with decent portion size. Some of the staff are very good, but others are poor and you often wait an age for the bill / change. If they get the staffing right this would be a "Very Good".

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We visited the restaurant as we had heard so much about it, but were unfortunately very disappointed with the complacency of the staff and even management.

I ordered a rump steak that was barely warm on arrival with an undercooked potato. The piece of steak was very fatty and quite sinewy. When I then was asked what I thought of the food and mentioned that I was disappointed all I was told that the waiter "was sorry to hear that".

No manager was called over or advised that I was unhappy with the food. The staff was not very attentive and was standing around chatting and leaning against the bar.

I think the restaurant is lucky to have such a big hotel close-by as I don’t feel that it would have the potential to be a "destination-restaurant".

Would I go there again? I don’t think so.