“Wonderful Chinese Restaurant”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Well designed restaurant in good surroundings. Food exceptional and well priced. Service staff attentive and knowledgable

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a complete rip-off. The food was average, the portions were small, everything was overpriced and the experience was a disappointment. Noodles and rice were not included with the dishes and were expensive. A tiny dish of freshly steamed vegetables was also highly over-priced, as was everything on the menu. Worst of all, a bloody Mary and a Marguerita were so badly made, they tasted nothing like they should. In fact, they bore no resemblance whatsoever to the traditional recipe and were undrinkable! Not a good experience. Avoid like the plague. I would go so far as to say that burning R200 notes would be more fun than lunch or dinner at this overpriced restaurant.

1  Thank Glyni L
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If the nice impression is what you are after - this is certainly the place. It will impress your business partner, your girlfriend, name it. One person it will not impress - someone who actually loves Chinese food. For that you have to take your car and drive to Derrick Road - there it may be bad looking, dirt-ish but with unbeatable taste.

So yes - the look is fabolous. Menu also impressive, so impressive I decided to go there. Especially as it is short, safe (even at night) walk from major hotels - like Hilton, Radisson or Holiday Inn.

So I chosen small portions to try more: black bean calamari, kung po prawns and greens with shitake mushrooms. Small portions are actually small and those 3 dishes (I don't eat starch) was not too much. Presentation is OK (you can see on picture), but taste does not leave up to expectations. Kung Po prawns have 2 chillies next to them - most dominant flavour is of vinegear. Black bean sauce is tasteless - it should be quite salty and I had to add soy sauce to get any saltiness. Veggies are hard to spoil so were OK.

Price for quality is quite steep - I paid R270, no alcohol, after they added 10% service charge called "levy" to confuse people and incite them to adding tip.

Service staff is rather lost. Especially that on Sunday night there were just 3 tables taken. Definitely not an experience to repeat, at least not on my own pocket. For 270 I can have excellent fusion meal with glass of wine at neighbor Koi.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is fabulous. I had a wonderful night there. The food was delicious, service could not be better, the menu are very diversified, the design and the whole environment is all fantastic. I really can't tell which part are my favorites, I love everything there.
You must try if you have never been there!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

At first we were not sure whether we should try Gwefey which is situated in the new World Trade Centre in Sandton and just across the road from our apartment. But we certainly are pleased we did. It was a busy evening when we visited - there was a delegation of about 100 Chinese business people celebrating something and the restaurant was noisy and buzzing. Our guess though was that if the Chinese were there it had to be good - and the food was not good, it was excellent. The owner told us that he had recruited 5 top chefs from the various regions in China and this seems to have worked - the meal was superb. We will be back!

1  Thank JohanMoolman