“Rusty Lady gets our votes!”
Review of The Rusty Lady

The Rusty Lady
Ranked #864 of 1,238 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Indoor and Outdoor seating, Pizza Oven, cheese and ploughmans platters, Home Cooked South African Cuisine, Rustic, Delicious Cakes. LIVE MUSIC
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family chose The Rusty Lady for a late lunch today. We were looking for a venue where we could still enjoy outdoors and capitalize on the amazing weather. A telephonic reservation confirmed our last minute reservation and we were received warmly. A bonus was the ample parking facilities. We felt at home almost immediately, the ambiance and music was great. We ordered a garlic focaccia bread and a starter platter consisting of potatoe wedges, sausages, calamari and haloumi cheese. Delicious! The main meals were superb - we enjoyed the hotspots, one being an Irish stew and the other lamb curry. Very very good although the lamb curry hotspot had little lamb. It was rectified immediately by our helpful waiter. The chops were simply great! Unfortunately the restaurant close at 5pm sharp and staff starting packing up from 4.30. We didn't have time for dessert and although we felt a bit rudely treated closer to 5pm, we will visit them again. Despite the time deadline, this restaurant has good food, a great vibe and a very homely and comforting energy. Maybe they should not take reservations close to closing time? Great value for money!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Gosh, Plated. It would be a very sad world if my tastes as a reviewer were to be restricted to fine dining. A good menu to me is one that has broad appeal and makes me change my mind about my order multiple times because I just can't decide. It's one that has healthy and indulgent options and one that makes me plan what I'm going to have the next time I visit. So, I've said it before as Joburg's Darling and I'll say it again as Sarah - I loved the menu and I can't wait to go back. Particularly to try out the breakfast menu... and the pizza... and the waffles... and the sunday lunch...

I suggest Jay Rayner or similar if you are looking for a restaurant reviewer that nitpicks and relates in no way to the average restaurant goer.

2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed November 14, 2012

What a gem!
Great vibe, great service, great music and great food.
The menu is relatively simple with the hot pots being a novel idea and very tasty.
Unlicensed means being able to provide your own wine - making a huge difference to the bill.
I would highly recommend The Rusty Lady and will certainly be taking friends there :-)

1  Thank Gisela S
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm always fascinated by the loony fringe on social media sites. Yours, Plated, is of particular interest to me for the following reasons:
1. My daughter, Sarah, wrote the Joburg's Darling review to which you refer.
2. I have been to the Rusty Lady numerous times, and believed she would enjoy it; so I invited her to join me and, if she so chose, to write her JD blog about it.
3. One of the reasons I gave her was that the vibe, and menu, were right up her street.
4. So, she came along with me and was very impressed on all counts, and her blog/review was an honest reflection of her experience. Remember, Plated, she wasn't writing about your experience; that's not her job.
5. Joburg's Darling bloggers pay for their own meals when visiting a place for review purposes. Joburg's Darling doesn't pay, or reimburse the bloggers (odd, I agree). Neither does JD vet or edit the reviews. The restaurant owners and staff were entirely unaware that she was there to write a review.
6. To suggest that my daughter was either offered or accepted a bribe is untrue and, worse, libellous. So if your cojones are as big as your mouth, Plated, perhaps you would like to respond with your name and email address, and we can take this further.
7. I was at the Rusty Lady this evening, and will be back next week. Partly for the friends and vibe, and partly because I still have to make my way through the rather fabulous and varied menu. I just love the place.

2  Thank ShelaghEF
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently read the review of this restaurant on - Joburg's Darling, and she mentioned that it's one of the best menu's she has seen in a long time. Well in that case she clearly hasn't been to many restaurants if she considers Ploughman's platters and sandwiches candidates for 'best' menu items. The atmosphere was great but the food a real mediocre let down, I would never return and clearly bribery is involved in Joburg's Darling's restaurant reviewing system.

2  Thank Plated