“Gem in Rosebank”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had been to this restaurant while the hotel was still called the Grace Hotel so we wanted to try Level Four, the new restaurant after the hotel became 54 on Bath. This is a gem hidden in Rosebank. The restaurant is situated near the top floor of the hotel and you can walk out to the pool and garden area for incredible views, on a clear day out to the Magaliesburg mountains. The dining room has been completely refurbished in a sophisticated but hip, refreshing style. The menu offered variety and all our dishes were delicious, something unique is that they list the name of each chef who created the foodie concoction you just devoured. While the meals weren't cheap, when you consider the overall experience you're getting, well, you get what you paid for. The only caveat there is the wait staff. The waiters seemed inexperienced and could have had more training before hitting the floor, but they did try their best to meet all our requests. Oh, and the chairs. The chairs are incredibly comfy, you feel like a queen! We will return, but will likely try the breakfast buffet some of our friends have recommended. I'd suggest Level Four as a special occasion restaurant for family and couples or a business meeting when you need a quiet and beautiful place and meal to impress.

54onBathJNB, Manager at Level Four, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear MLSLAV2013-02-08,

Thank you for taking some time out of your day to post some feedback on Level Four Restaurant and Champagne Bar it is much appreciated.

We are pleased to read that overall you had a great time with us. It is our aim that every guest enjoys their experience and takes away great memories of their meal experience. We hope to have you return very soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I enjoyed a lovely breakfast buffet at the restaurant, with a wide variety of delicious things to eat

Dear Bjorn_13

Thanks for commenting on your experience at Level Four. Delighted you enjoyed it and look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Myself and my fiancé booked for a chilled dinner at level four on old years eve. I was not expecting to much but just wanted to be chilled and have a awesome view. Well!!! Was I blown away! First we had our car parked for us, greeted at the front door and shown to the lifts. Right away we where shown into the fabulous champagne lounge and offered some canapés and some bubbles. Moving through for dinner the place was little quiet but not to quiet you feel funny. We had sublime service from the waiter, his knowledge and suggestions where amazing. The food was really very good and I love that they credit each chef that has come up with that plate! The wine list is divine and well spread out in terms of entry to very very high end. The price on the veuve was really good as well! I must say I loved that the manager helped his staff, he was not afraid to carry out some plates and chat to the guests, this is SO often lost in restaurants today so well done! Think his name was Craig!

Overall, the view, food, and service was amazing do not expect cheap and do not go there if you prefer a spur! This is for a foodie and you will enjoy it!

PS the pork belly was amazing and I would recommend it! The only small niggile was the cost of large bottled water I can justify 40 even 50 if it was say imported water but they are charging 60 for a local brand! But don't let this put you off!!!!!

Dear Phernus,

Thank you leaving feedback on Level Four Restaurant and Champagne Bar it is appreciated.
Great to read you made use of our free valet parking service – what can be easier than parking at the front door, handing your keys over to one of our drivers and making your way straight to Level Four. I’m glad you enjoyed Level Four and that you’re experience was memorable. I hope to see you back before the end of 2013!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Sunday in J'burg ,
You wish you were in the country side. Regrettably one needs to work . Combining the two (work and countryside) my partners decided it will be nice to meet at the roof garden of the Level Four Restaurant at the re-newly opened 54 On Bath for lunch. The heart of Rosebank with a country touch. And so it was. The garden on the 4th floor of 54 On Bath boutique hotel , is a gem .
That's all that was left from the graceful Grace In Rosebank hotel exquisite dining experience.
We were pleasantly surprised to get a table at a very short notice. Upon arrival I realized there were only 3 more occupied tables at the entire restaurant. We were not alarmed yet.
We got a great shaded table , under stormy skies which we didn't mind.
The menu consists of sophisticated highly priced small dishes of tasty food with extremely little verity to the extent that no green salad is available. When we asked for one , we were told it is impossible.
All of us found the scene fascinating . The quality of food very good but hugely overpriced and unjustified.
Last but not least , the service. Well the waiters need a training refresh. We asked 3 times for serviettes ( Boutique Hotel ?) salt and pepper also required some determination on our part.
This is not a place to go back to.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was taken to dinner here on 22nd November, to enjoy a special birthday dinner, and was very glad that we did. We went to the champagne lounge to start – I loved the black and white décor, a little art deco feel, and very plush. A substantial selection of some of the finest SA and France have to offer when it comes to bubbles!
Dinner at Level 4 was a treat from beginning to end. The service exceptional – knowledgeable, helpful, unobtrusive and efficient. I had a slight problem with my fillet (my fault) and it was rectified without a murmur of discontent from another waiter that assisted. I love that the veggies served were young and tender versions, and that sauces came in little separate pots , and that the food was serviced so artistically – plenty of it, and definitely not nouveau cuisine, I was full by the end of the meal. I believe that there is a pool and patio area outside (I saw the light bouncing of the pool) but sadly it was raining, and therefore could not “explore further”. The décor of the dining area is pleasing to the eye – modern and sophisticated, yet some fun touches with hound’s-tooth fabric and differing chairs.
My only niggle for the evening is that there was a loud noisy group that started off in the champagne bar, and proceeded to dinner, which took away from what I believe, was a gentle, relaxed, yet upmarket ambience. I do understand that people should have fun, but the noise was a little overwhelming for most of the evening. Perhaps management can note this in future and put noisy guests in a corner, not centrally in the restaurant.
We finished our evening by having coffee in the entrance lounge of the hotel. Stylishly decorated, and very reminiscent of hotel lounges of the colonial days, but with many modern touches, and updated versions.
Highly recommended for dinner. Cannot comment on accommodation/rooms.