“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
South Africa
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We popped in there one morning because I have seen reviews in magazines on this hotel. It is clean, modern, very convenient access. From the valet to the waiters are exceptionally well trained and friendly. The garden is beautiful and perfect for high tea, We had a delightful breakfast there, and they showed us around the rooms. We will definitely stay there next time we are in Johannesburg. (see my room tips). Excellent for business trips.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are great, but if you want to upgrade, the luxury is fantastic, spacious (even ha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear voyagersolo,

Thank you for reviewing 54 on Bath and Level Four restaurant. Yes, indeed the roof garden on the fourth floor is a perfect location for afternoon tea, as it is for alfresco lunches, sundowners or even just to relax. We hope you have the opportunity to experience the elegance and serenity of the hotel soon.

Best wishes
Darren H
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Randburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 3, 2013

54 on Bath is a boutique Gem. It's intimate, wonderfully appointed and generally beyond reproach. Why anyone would want to stay at a chain-name hotel is beyond me. 54 is sublime.

The lobby is inviting, the rooms are huge with amazing views of the leafy city, & the Illy coffee machines are a life-saver!

However, my personal experience at this hotel was jinxed I suppose! It's the attention to my personal needs that the didn't quite crack that reduced my overall rating to very good and not the EXCELLENT I think i could have been.

1. The check in was promised to be done in comfort whilst seated on a lobby couch. This was not done.
2. I had pre-arranged via e-mail to have champagne waiting in my room for my 2pm arrival (I was with my wife for our anniversary). This was not done.
3. The electronic key cards for the room did not work.
4. Suffice to say after we gained access to our room we were "interrupted" 3 more times in the 1st hour as new key cards where made and delivered & champagne was delivered. Not a great start to an anniversary moment!
5. After dinner we returned to our room and only 1 turn down service had been provided.
6. The Illy coffee's had not been restocked in our absence.
7. The morning newspaper was not delivered to our room, despite ALL other rooms on our floor having the paper hanging outside theirs.
8. The Breakfast reception was off'ish and snobby? Like they are doing you a favour seating you.
9. The Harvest table spread had no tongs or side plates to serve the pastries.
10. Our breakfast table dod not have napkins, and my setting was in correctly laid with knifes on the right and forks on the left!
12. Before we had concluded our breakfast the waiter placed a bill folder at the table. Despite the room being incl. of bed&breakfast, why is it necessary to make me sign for a bill that I wont be paying for, and why present me with the bill before I have concluded the pleasantries?

I felt cheated cause I never do have the sweet croissant as I was chased away and there were no tongs to dish up with!

Despite my stay being jinxed, I do think this is a magnificent establishment that was probably having a hang-over the night I was there!

'till next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
54onBathJNB, Front Office Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear stevovo

I'm delighted you took my call regarding your experience.

On behalf of the entire team at 54 on Bath, I wish to sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience you had at our property. As a brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future; we always welcome any opportunity to improve. We acknowledge the feedback and furthermore confirm that we failed to deliver the warm Hospitality that we are best known for.

The succession of disappointments you were exposed to during your stay are inexcusable service failures which were sternly addressed. It is with absolute regret that you were exposed to such service lapses as our teams are trained to deal with such daily procedures efficiently.

Whilst we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, we are appreciative that you have agreed to afford us another opportunity to restore your confidence in our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Pontsho Dikobe
Front Office Manager
Germiston, South Africa
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed at 54 on Bath for a 2 day 2 night strategy session. I was upgraded to a suite which was extremely comfortable. Very well appointed, very well decorated and top class linen and a choice of pillows. Beautiful tasty snacks placed in room on arrival and each night at tuck down.
Used the bar and the conference facilities. Conferencing room was suitable but awkwqardly shaped. Electronic facilities are not great and proximer had to be placed on a table in the middle of the room. The catering was superb. Service was excellent all round.
Some negatives - shower cubicle is very small, towels and toilet rolls were not replaced on second morning, had to call housekeeping. The only electrical point that fitted the hairdryer was in the lounge. Housekeeping did not have adapters. Great location for visiting Rosebank Mall, firs, the zone and restaurants for shopping and entertainment

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear SuperSpeed,

We appreciate the time you have made to review 54 on Bath. Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you managed to get out to enjoy the local shopping experiences. I hope you see the improvement in the confernence facilities during your next visit, we had them upgraded within the past few days. Apologise about the housekeeping issues, we'll certainly address this with the team.

Hope we see you again soon.
Darren
Deputy General Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stay in hotels every week because I commute between CT and Jozi, and I think I've just found a new home for my Rosebank / Braamfontein / Sandton visits!
The hotel is elegant, tasteful, and the staff are attentive whilst being personal and friendly, not intrusive.
And the food is exquisite. I've had a few business dinners at the hotel, because of the excellence of the cuisine, but can now attest to a delicious, very tastefully presented breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Fagmeedah,

Thanks so much for your positive review. We are delighted you have enjoyed your recent stays with us. We feel privileged to become your new home in Johannesburg and look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards