All reviews themed rooms great gatsby moulin rouge suite interesting antiques party venue special evening year end function unique style comfortable rooms home away from home simone garden houghton sa
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Staying at the Villa the second time was surprisingly even better than the first. This time I was more accustomed to the really singular concept and decor, which gave me a chance to appreciate how homely and down to earth everybody was, despite it being a luxury hotel. It's honestly a unique experience to be welcomed like a friend, and in the same breath, be pampered like royalty. Well done, Villa Simonne, for creating an imaginative and very human experience in the usually dull, sterile hotel industry. I'd go back tomorrow.

Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Villa Simone for 2 nights at the end of a months visit to South Africa. It was a real highlight. Special mention to manager Shawn Gouveia. He made it extra special for us all and our daughters in particular. Nothing was too much trouble. Went as guests and left as friends. Just wish my home was as opulent!

Date of stay: August 2013
1  Thank rbark
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went on a short break away weekend, the hotel is beautiful, and its certain that the owner loves antiques and odd things. The hotel itself is amazing however the service is something out of a horror movie. They do not do proper room service and dont keep the outside areas clean. Food was also great but with the rating they are and with beautiful surroundings one would expect that the service will suit the surroundings, but no. The rooms dont have aircons and they dont even have a coffee machine on site. which to me is one of the first things a highly ranked botique hotel should have!!!! Would love to go back to the surroundings but not for the service.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Monica B
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I booked in for 2 nights to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect in every way and a dream come true – the gardens are stunning, the atmosphere is incredible and the decor and attention to detail is amazing: we have never seen anything like it. You could spend a full day wondering in the gorgeous gardens alone. We spend most of our time playing tennis, sipping cocktails at the pool and enjoying the sauna. The staff were wonderful, and went out of their way to make it an unforgettable weekend for us. They even arranged for a "Happy Anniversary" balloon to be paraded around by "Elsa"(the resident tortoise), and set a romantic table for us in the garden on the African Queen Barge – a very special evening. Special thanks to Parie – you were amazing. We will definitely be returning next year... if not sooner!

Room tip: Rooms with a patio and facing the garden are the best.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights in August and were very pleased with the accommodations. The hotel has a quirky, unique feeling...almost as if being transported back in time 50 years or so and still maintaining a 5 star experience that one is accustomed to today. Every corner in the hotel is as though it is representing a little story, the details of which you can only glimpse. The service was outstanding and very personal...attending to our every need, including delivering an outstanding dinner meal each evening to our room. I was prepared to be satisfied with the usual continental style breakfast buffet but was pleasantly surprised by a full breakfast, made to order. I would not hesitate a moment to return to Villa Simonne if my travels bring me back to Joburg.

Date of stay: August 2013