All reviewsthemed roomsmoulin rouge suitemanager lukeparty venuespecial eveningunique stylewe've stayedcomfortable roomseach morningsimonegardentortoisesconference
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights in August and were very pleased with the accommodations. The hotel has a quirky, unique feeling...almost as if being transported back in time 50 years or so and still maintaining a 5 star experience that one is accustomed to today. Every corner in the hotel is as though it is representing a little story, the details of which you can only glimpse. The service was outstanding and very personal...attending to our every need, including delivering an outstanding dinner meal each evening to our room. I was prepared to be satisfied with the usual continental style breakfast buffet but was pleasantly surprised by a full breakfast, made to order. I would not hesitate a moment to return to Villa Simonne if my travels bring me back to Joburg.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We made our first trip to Johannesburg this June. Staying at Villa Simmone made the experience wonderful. Everyone was so helpful as we navigated and planned our daily adventures. We started each day with an excellent breakfast made to our taste and enjoyed the beauty of the architecture and superb landscaping. The best part was coming back in the evening to great atmosphere and an exquisitely appointed room. It was truly like coming home to friends. This hotel is a real gem. The family who runs it and the staff who works with them are the reason you will want to stay there each time you visit Joburg.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Olympus and it was lovely with a comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was at the Villa Simonne from 7th - 18th July 2013, i really enjoyed myself as it was a home away from home. The people were very friendly and helpful. It was really a five star experience and i will recommend Villa Simonne to anyone that wants to experience a five star enjoyment at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the penthouse are quieter, that was where i stayed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've discovered Villa Simonne by accident after accommodation arrangements fell through at the last minute. I've never been so mesmerised by an establishment ever before. As Glen B wrote, this is neither a boutique hotel nor B&B. Every inch of this amazing establishment has a story to tell. Every room is uniquely decorated to specific theme. Fittings, found art, trinkets and objects from years gone by tastefully set the tone to every bedroom and entertainment area.

Regrettably I could only stay over for a day but I had plenty of time to explore. And explore I did. My stay was in the New Orleans suite but I owe it to myself to stay in every one of the rooms that they have to offer on future visits.

Nothing was ever too much trouble for the attentive staff. I gladly recommend Villa Simonne to anyone traveling to Johannesburg. The personalised service (more often than not provided the owners themselves) was augmented by the unique setting that gave one plenty of hiding place if one ever needed a quiet, scenic spot from where to work or unwind. If you're after something different close to the centre of Johannesburg, this is it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel is the most unique establishment I've ever had the pleasure of staying at.

It is a masterpiece of a vision achieved by one family (and father in particular) and every space within the hotel from the incredible 1930s (or 1970s!) bar area to the themed guest bedrooms tell a story. The staff are great and friendly and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business