“Wow.”

and up
Apartheid Museum Tour from Johannesburg
Ranked #1 of 187 things to do in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum is architecturally interesting and packed with thoughtful, often brutal, reminders of South Africa’s history.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Do not expect a short visit. This interactive museum with amazing flow and bountiful information will easily eat up an entire day. It was almost too much, but it is such an important and amazing history. This was the highlight of JoBurg.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,043)
All reviews
in 192 reviews
"text"
in 67 reviews

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Years ago I hosted my TV show. It was about inspirational people, so it was an obvious choice to use the Apartheid Museum to shoot some links. This venue is as inspirational as the people I interviewed! There is something to satisfy every mind. Amazing architecture, thought provoking history, great survival stories and a must for every visitor to Johannesburg.

1  Thank moniquestrydom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Extremely impressive. Before understanding anything about SA and it's people you must visit this museum!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I visited the Apartheid Museum on my first day of a 3 week holiday around Sout Africa. I am not normally one to visit museums, but this one had caught my attention and with good reason. It gives a good history of past discrimination and struggles. Plus I had the extra bonus of a temporarely exibition about Nelson Mandela, which in my view they should make permanent as it was very interesting as well. Note: You should put at least three and a half hours aside for this. This was the amount of time I spend there and couldn't have done it with less time. Four hours are properly better if you don't want to feel rushed.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I only had a day to check out JHB and was set on visiting some of the city’s galleries, but my SA host insisted on a trip to the Apartheid Museum. Having spent some time there in the 90’s and being an avid follower of all things Mandela I was reluctant. All my reservations disappeared when we arrived at the modernist structure and were randomly assigned races and told to enter through separate turnstiles. Inside, the multimedia exhibits spotlighted individuals who gave rise to apartheid and its downfall. Standouts were the tribute to the black leaders and white liberals who brought about change and footage of a 1961 BBC interview with Mandela when he was hiding. It’s an unsettling museum experience, but one of the most memorable ones I have ever had. My host, who grew up in the Apartheid school system and has kids, told me that the museum has to become a mandatory part of curricula and that her kids have no idea of SA’s history. So it’s not only an obligatory stop for anyone visiting JHB, but also for South Africans.