“extraordinary!”

South African National Museum of Military History
Ranked #10 of 180 things to do in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: This large museum contains mostly military-related records, journals, weapons and photographs that depict the nation’s participation in large-scale conflicts.
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This Johannesburg gem is often overlooked by tourists who rush to see attractions related to the struggle against apartheid. I found this museum extremely interesting and even took my three year old boy who had a lot of fun looking at WW II tanks, cannons from the Boer war, many aircraft and even a submarine!!! There are many specimens that attracted my attention but the first German jet bomber must be an absolute rarity and a sight to behold. A way to improve it would be to add interactive attractions and more explanations of what each weapon was used for and where. I took an expert with me one day, somebody who'd seen a few military museums around the world and he said this one was among the best he'd ever visited. I was not surprised.

2  Thank ulysses64

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Many years ago I spent many weekends attending lectures in the auditorium at the "War Museum" (not military related). Back then I found it interesting, so during the last school holidays when we stayed in town and we were looking for outings to take our two young boys on (4 and 7) we decided to visit the museum.

I was pleasantly surprised at how the museum had grown since I had last been there. The greater surprise was how the boys took to the place, they really enjoyed the exhibits and hearing about them.

I found the layout simple and straightforward and although there is not a huge amount of new style interactive content many of the exhibits speak for themselves.

The ME262 (German WWII Jet fighter) remains the most impressive for me and I still marvel at how this machine was already built and flying in the 1940's.

The boys have been back again with their grandparents and enjoyed it yet again, so certainly worth a 2-3 hour visit.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Enjoyed this museum a lot. They have a lot of military hardware here, not least from WWII. SA fought amongst other places in North Africa, a part of the war I've always been interested in. In Norway you wont hear much during a history lesson about South Africa in that regard, so this is a good place to start.

1  Thank Splitenz71
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Not enough history about Boer War and not very interactive.

Reviewed November 27, 2010

The War Museum, as it is locally known, has a really interesting range of exhibits, reflecting the people of SA's participation of in all the global conflicts of the 20th century and many other local and regional conflicts.

It serves as a memorial to those who served and died in all those conflicts. Anyone passing through Johannesburg to visit the Battle Fields should consider a visit.

It (apparently) has the only known exhibit of the first jet engined two-seater night fighter, the German ME 262 among an extensive collection of WW1 and WW2 fighter planes - so aviation buffs should be interested too.

A comprehensive display of modern armaments used in Angola and Namibia in the 70's and 80's are especially interesting - as derivatives had to be quickly put into action in Iraq and Afghanistan to counter IEDs - all based on development work and experience gained in local conflicts.

If you have an interest or are heading to the battlefields I would recommend a few hours for a visit.

1  Thank CIVUH5