“Doesn't measure up to the Hyatt name!”

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Rockville, Maryland
“Doesn't measure up to the Hyatt name!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Whenever in Johannesburg, I usually stay at the Intercontinental Sandton Sun. Always have in the last 6 years. But this time, the week-long event was being held at the Hyatt, and the organizers had gotten a group rate and booked all attendees at the Hyatt Regency (I knew it under Park Hyatt when I lived in Jo'burg 10 yrs ago).
First, I had to change room because the hotel was doing remodeling, and the floor where I was had no wifi. Then in the 2nd room I was given , the phones (both on the night stand and the one on the desk) weren't working. Tech support came while I was away, allegedly fixed the one of the night stand: when I came back, I could answer calls on the phone on the night stand, but couldn't even call the hotel's reception on it. Tech guy had to come back. By wednesday evening, the whole hotel had no internet (wired or wifi) -which also inconvenienced even the presentations and activities of the workshop I was attending), and the management couldn't tell when the problem would be fixed. Thursday afternoon, when they told me they couldn't promise it'd be fixed by evening, that was more than I needed to check-out and go to my loyal Intercon Sandton Sun. The management of the Hyatt offered to shave a few dollars off my bill if I stayed, but by then I wasn't listening any more.
All this being said, the hotel is conveniently located near a mall, and there are nice, trendy shops as well as very good restaurants that you can walk into right from the extension between the hotel and the mall. But the Sandton Sun is also linked to a mall and across from Mandela square. Maybe I'm biased but 6 yrs of using the Sandton Sun, never had any incident. First time I gave my patronage to the Hyatt, I had to check-out 2 days before my due date.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had the priviledge of attending a business breakfast last week at the hotel - it was after a long time I visited the hotel. The venue was good, on the heart of Rosebank near the Gautrain and the stunning malls in the area (had no time to visit them though). The breakfast was fairly average - fresh fruit and yougart , tiny pastries and then the hot brekkie - two small sausages, quarter tomato, a meagre portion of sliced mushrooms and an egg that was so underdone that none of us at our table could enjoy it! Why do they assume that all people eat underdone eggs where even the white of the egg is uncooked! (enough to put me off for the day!) So surprising for a place of such good standing. I wondered how much our hosts paid for this brekafast per head... I requested some tabasco and the waiter arrived with it as i was about to finish my brekkie! Service with a smile......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week for a company’s conference....

Pros
1. Location : Right in the Rosebank mall... very close to Gautrain station .. Easy to locate
2. Nice breakfast spread
3. Reasonably priced
4. Concierge Staff very courteous

Cons:
1. Very unstable Internet
2. 45-60 min drive from airport

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Disappointing for a hotel of this standard

We arrived after an overnight flight having paid to have a room available on arrival. We were pleasantly surprised as both rooms were immediately available. Unfortunately both rooms had bathrooms in dire need of refurbishment - in one room the shower head was so loose it was unusable in the other the tiles were in very poor condition, the shower drain was blocked and the shower trickled water out barely warm even on the hot setting . We asked for repairs to be done while we were out of the room too return and find nothing had been done. There followed a procession of maintenance men who failed to fix the problems properly. The spa massage treatments in the late afternoon were absolutely first class and the room duty manager agreed to give us one free in recognition for the problems. As a result of our Hyatt membership we received a complimentary fruit bowl in the room which arrived very late in the afternoon - was a few oranges and a banana, no plate, knife of napkins!!

Room service breakfast was on time and well prepared

Overall a poor performance except for the spa which was excellent. Pity the whole hotel can't be at the standard of the spa

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mildred2011
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed last month one night at this Johannesburg hotel. The location is good, the entrance hall is impressive. But, it misses sophistication. In my room, there was a hairdresser, but the plug did not fit with the sockets....how's possible ? Further, my airco did not function. I call reception desk and two hours later a guy comes into my room and starts working on the airco. It was 10pm. He opened the roof and learned me it was some tech element who needed to be replaced. Than he came back an hour later...but he was unable to fix it. Too bad for me....no other room was proposed to me. They proposed me some extra "points"...but I'm not interested anymore to subscribe their program. Well done Hyatt Regency, you've got a business traveller who isn't returning

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
texas
Reviewed June 15, 2013

we had one night stay in jo'burg prior to our safari. It was easy by the Guatrain from OR Tambo to Rosebank. If you have too many luggage pieces dont bother. From the station to the hotel is slightly uphill. We are hyatt members but had to pay a fee to upgrade 2 rooms to club level. Since breakfast was included it was ok. Its worth to upgrade if you can.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winefrance
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

It is essentially a business hotel, where you would need a room to sleep in! Compared to an average Hyatt in other parts of the world, it doesn't match up. It looks a bit tired & the service isn't great. I can't really compare it with any other hotel in Jo'burg as it was was my first time in the city, but compared with similar class hotels from other parts of the world, it is just average. We stayed here for 5 days.
First the positives: - it's in a good location (safe). Right adjacent to Rosebank centre, with plenty of nice & better value restaurants, right outside the hotel. I would definitely recommend Tashas & The Grillhouse. The African crafts market is just 5 minutes walk away, so all your touristy shopping can be done without going very far.
Now stuff that I feel wasn't so good - service- sluggish, inefficient, and often brusque! I had asked for some extra tea bags and low cal sugar, never arrived ( not once but twice). Don't know why they were so stingy with tea bags. The used toiletries in the bathroom were never replenished during our entire stay. Housekeeping was always late in cleaning up, all days our room was not cleaned before 5 in the evening. I wanted some advise from concierge to plan my trip- I went down several times, called a few times, but never really got any help from them. I made a booking from one of their travel desk for Pilanesburg - I had requested the Guest relations to pass on a confirmation to the travel desk, as I was out the whole day- but the message never got passed on, as a result of which I lost my booking.
None of these are show stoppers, but when they are charging the kind of money they charge, you tend to expect better service. Hyatt isn't exactly a budget brand!
But overall, it's got a convenient location & comfortable room, so not bad!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family