Whenever in Johannesburg, I usually stay at the Intercontinental Sandton Sun. Always have in the last 6 years. But this time, the week-long event was being held at the Hyatt, and the organizers had gotten a group rate and booked all attendees at the Hyatt Regency (I knew it under Park Hyatt when I lived in Jo'burg 10 yrs ago).
First, I had to change room because the hotel was doing remodeling, and the floor where I was had no wifi. Then in the 2nd room I was given , the phones (both on the night stand and the one on the desk) weren't working. Tech support came while I was away, allegedly fixed the one of the night stand: when I came back, I could answer calls on the phone on the night stand, but couldn't even call the hotel's reception on it. Tech guy had to come back. By wednesday evening, the whole hotel had no internet (wired or wifi) -which also inconvenienced even the presentations and activities of the workshop I was attending), and the management couldn't tell when the problem would be fixed. Thursday afternoon, when they told me they couldn't promise it'd be fixed by evening, that was more than I needed to check-out and go to my loyal Intercon Sandton Sun. The management of the Hyatt offered to shave a few dollars off my bill if I stayed, but by then I wasn't listening any more.
All this being said, the hotel is conveniently located near a mall, and there are nice, trendy shops as well as very good restaurants that you can walk into right from the extension between the hotel and the mall. But the Sandton Sun is also linked to a mall and across from Mandela square. Maybe I'm biased but 6 yrs of using the Sandton Sun, never had any incident. First time I gave my patronage to the Hyatt, I had to check-out 2 days before my due date.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hyatt Regency Johannesburg is situated in the cosmopolitan suburb of Rosebank, a modern district in the North of Johannesburg. Our hotel provides easy access to Sandton, Constitution Hill and African craft markets. With 244 luxury rooms & suites featuring African-inspired decor and fully integrated meeting & conference venues, Hyatt Regency Johannesburg is the business traveller's hotel of choice. Guests are invited to experience the rich wellness of our Amani Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Hyatt Regency Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Johannesburg Hotel Johannesburg
- Hyatt Johannesburg
- Johannesburg Hyatt Regency