“Very Average”

Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
London
“Very Average”
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Stayed at the Executive floor at the Park Hyatt and aside from the extra breakfast option, there was nothing special about it.

The room was quite large but basic. The restaurants and lobby were also just about average. Also don't expect any African restaurants here - there aren't any.

The only thing good about this place was that it was next to a shopping mall and there were plenty of eating options nearby. The grillhouse is definitely worth a visit. Avoid the restaurants in the hotel itself if you can.

Overall there's nothing that I'll miss about this hotel on my next trip to Johannesburg.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I paid extra for the Executive Floor and got a beautiful room, as well as a concierge on the floor dedicated to the floor's guests. Breakfast and evening appetizers (sufficient for a light dinner) were also included with the Executive Floor. Food is excellent.
Staff were attentive and helpful throughout the hotel. The spa is wonderful.

Knocked off one star for two reasons:
1. Both in the spa and in the room, the shower heads did not work well; the water was of sufficient quantity but had no more pressure than that of gravity, and the spray dispersal was missing - it was like water falling out of a garden hose. The shower heads were too high for me to adjust.
2. The municipal water main to the hotel broke at one point, and no one could shower or flush the toilet for hours. Although this isn't the hotel's fault, a frequent guest told me this happens often, perhaps because of the train-station construction occurring across the street. The hotel was quick to respond, delivering bottled water to each room immediately.

Overall, I'd stay again but would not expect a perfect experience. Not sure how it would have been without the Executive Floor upgrade.

• Liked — nice room and excellent service
  • Disliked — water and shower problems
Stayed September 2007
Arlington, VA
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Having just returned from a two night stay at the Jo'berg Park Hyatt, I must concur in many of the views expressed on Trip Advisor. Although check-in was smooth, and the Front Desk honored my request for an early check-in (something they of course did not have to do), I only realized at check-out that they charged me a full night for the privilege. Had they disclosed that at check-in, I would have thought twice. Shame on you Park Hyatt.

And during the stay, I had a most unusual experience. The housekeeper threw away my Zip Lock bag used to house my carry-on liquids, something that all air travelers know is an aviation requirement. When I realized this the night before I left, I had to speak to three people before someone said they would help. And help they did! They sent two housekeepers to the dumpster to rummage through it and find my soiled plastic bag, and dutifully returned it to my room. Very odd. I sent the soiled bag to the front desk so that they could go out and purchase another plastic bag to house my toothpaste and contact lens solution.

From a room maintenance front, the air conditioner failed during my stay, but that was quickly and efficiently fixed. However, the shower leaked under the wall and onto the carpet. As far as I know, that problem remains. Once the mold sets in, I hope the problem is addressed.

And finally, in an apparently recurring theme, two mystery mini bar charges appeared on my bill (which they initially declined to show me as the room was being direct-billed to my travel agent -- I now understand why they did not want me to see it). To remove the 150 Rand charge (less than $20 USD), they wanted me to complete and sign a form attesting to my account.

In short, this place is overpriced and underperforms in virtually every relevant measure. I can't compare this hotel to other Jo'berg rooms, but in comparing it to comparable hotels in other countries, this one rates very low.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank ChocolateLuvr
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Taking into account the city etc. and having stayed there before I was looking forward to the return. Prior to leaving London I made some requests via e-mail, which were dealt with promptly and eficiently.

I was allocated a Queen Suite, which was very comfortbale. Room Service was always efficient, the room was kept tidy and the bathroom excellent. Choice on room service menu very limited and mini bar was not kept stocked during my stay.

Really liked the small but effiicient Gymn and the courtyard is always a nice place to sit and have a drink, and it is a good place to meet customers.

I used the car service at the hotel constantly during my stay and they were always courteous and punctual. It is one of the better places to stay in Johannesburg and I will certainly be staying there again.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank charlie47
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Upon arrival I was allocated a lovely room - only trouble was someone was already in there asleep in bed. Despite the fact that I'm single female & occupant was male, and thus this situation could have put me in danger (I was in his suite ready to unpack) no apology/upgrade was offered by hotel when we discovered room was occupied & notified front desk. In fact room I was later allocated was of lower quality despite my requests otherwise.

Do I need to comment on quality of bathroom - was probably pleasant on installation but it needs cleaning of mildew as you can see. Hardly appealing is it? Best part of hotel is gym.

Oh yes, the hotel also dispose of your toiletries/personal cleaning stuff too & despite 4 calls to front desk & management they cannot seem to resolve this for me. Even an acknowledgement call would have been appreciated, but they don't even have the courtesy to do that. Good service is an unknown to the staff here. I won't come back again.

• Liked — Gym
  • Disliked — Service & lack of follow up to compaints
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business