“wonderfull experience”

Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Pretoria
“wonderfull experience”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

my experience at Gold Reef City theme park and hotel was very exciting. the warm welcome from the staff at the gate to the hotel reception the people were friendly and they made us feel at home away from home, thank you so much

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Wayne W, General Manager at Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Kesetse L

I must apologise for the late response, a few technical issues have now been resolved.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Wayne Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lincolnshire
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I was here for 2 days at the end of a business trip, and it could not have been more relaxing. Doing my reports in the garden of the resident's pool was wonderful. It's not a large pol, you can't swim lengths, but it is big enough to get wet in!

The hotel is a series of disconnected buildings scattered among the restaurants and tourist tat booths, all disguised as 19th century town. It is very well done, the necessary 21st century intrusions are discrete. Inside the rooms are modern and comfortable.

During the day the sound of people enjoying the rides is everywhere but after 18:00 the atmosphere changes completely, it is calm and relaxing.

The staff are very friendly and eager to help, although a fair few are inexperienced and fail to provide top-class service. That is a management issue.

At night meals are served at Barney's, and are of OK hotel standard. During the day I would suggest eating at M&B on 'town square' instead, the food is better and the staff very much better. Breakfast at Barney's is very good indeed.

What is obvious is that the place was built to a very high standard, but with less attention to maintenance since. I won't list the niggles, that would be unfair. I did talk to the duty manager, and she said that the hotel is no longer run by Protea but by some other chain, and that work was ongoing. If they want to be a world-class hotel they need to up their game on repairs and staff training.

Look, this is not the real world, or real South Africa. It's like being in an episode of 'the prisoner'. But accept it for what it is and it is a good laugh.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank brunnian
Wayne W, Manager at Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Brunnian

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and to give us feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at the Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We have, however, noted the concerns that you have raised with regards to certain aspects of your stay - these issues have been highlighted with my team and will be addressed on an on-going basis.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back again soon!.

Brackenfell, South Africa
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Service was great as from our pick up by the shuttle driver at the entrance.Reception staff was very professional and friendly - we enjoyed welcome drinks and some snacks as well. Minute later we were in our rooms which were very clean, colourful and spacious. Breakfast - variety galore! The theme park and surroundings as well as the Fast foods inside were neat and the rides an experience of a lifetime - will strongly recommend families to visit - rides for all. We thoroughly enjoyed every moment of our stay. Will definately be back soon. Thumbs up for Gold Reef City!!!

1 Thank Andre V
Dear Andre V

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Had a wonderful time at the theme park hotel. Very pleasant & helpful staff. Made our five night stay comfortable. The rooms were kept clean and tidy. All linen were replaced daily. The breakfast spread at the hotel was lovely. Will recommend this place to families and friends.

1 Thank Asogan Soobramo... N
Wayne W, General Manager at Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Asogan Soobramo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review with regards to your recent stay at the Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. After a 5 night stay you are considered to be a friend of the Hotel and we always look forward to welcoming our friends back again!

We hope to see you again soon.

Durban
Reviewed January 13, 2014

A beautiful setting ruined by incompetence. If you stay here hope and pray nothing gies wrong because if it does, no matter the urgency, you will find yourself always waiting always asking and having to threaten before anything gets done and even then you will still have to wait!

1 Thank Tracey C
Dear Tracey

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. As per our conversation, I hope the way we have handled your concerns has met with your approval. We look forward to hearing from you with regards to arranging dates for your next visit where I will hopefully be able to meet with you.
Thank you for your continued support!

Kind Regards

Boksburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at The Gold Reef city Theme park hotel on 21 December 2013, was a surprise gift for me from my husband. Was very impressed with all service, we got to the park at 8;30am, and we were allowed to check into our room, which was perfect, everything worked. The porters that drive you to collect your luggage, and take you over to casino, ALWAYS readily available. Breakfast at Barneys the following morning was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
Had an amazing time at the hotel and theme park, will definitely do it again, and will take friends with.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Linda

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Gold Reef City Theme Park Hotel.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Got to hotel at 4pm went out for supper at 9 came into room at 11 pm floors where soaking wet toilet was still messed with stool on side from the time I got it I sorted it out I was offered another room at 11 pm I did not take it as kids where tired btw I had booked a room std king size being a president member i would have thought I would get an upgrade as I was told by the lady at hotel when I got there I had no option ,the aircon leaked the entire night this room needs a new sink new floors one could see that there was a leak problem in room I had told the duty manager I would like to be reimbursed for the inconvenience he told me he would ask wayne whom allowed a discounted rate from 1230 to 899 ,nevertheless I accepted but was not happy to lose my money it was a wasted night I should have just stayed at riverside hotel my previous experience at same hotel was a whole lot better seems change is needed ASAP

With regard to a gift normally any sun hotel gives I was shocked to learn that this resort doesn't give anything but chocolates riverside gave me a mug and chocolates

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Yousuf M

I must first of all apologise for the delayed response - we have only recently re- gained access to the web due to technical issues.

Thank you for providing this feedback, and I apologise once again for the unfortunate maintenance issues and the resultant frustration and discomfort that was caused as a result.

With regards to the free upgrade entitlement due to your Frequent Guest status - this can only be offered if there is an upgraded room available, unfortunately, during school holidays the Hotel runs at high occupancies so upgrades are not always possible.

We regret that you had a frustrating stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back so that we can leave you with more pleasant memories after your next stay.