“Perfect”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Wow, was impressed with this hotel. Everything was perfect.
The hotel is centrally located and has shops and restaurants around it. There is a lovely seating area outside overlooking the street.
Internet access in rooms is fast and the disco lifts are an interesting way of travelling vertically through the building.
Furniture in the room was well made and the safe is neatly concealed behind a picture.
My room overlooked the pool, and had a great view of the trees in huge buckets.
Bathroom was large, with bath, shower and wc.
Reception is beautiful, with a contemporary African theme, and very friendly staff.
All in all a top class hotel, and to be honest better than the so called 5 star hotels I have stayed at in the West.
I will definitely stay here again when I am next in SA.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank LezGoLezGo

Reviewed November 15, 2010

We are currently on a family holiday in SA. We arrived at the hotel after an amazing safari trip in the Kruger National Park. We have read a lot of good reviews about this hotel and was looking forward to chilling out in the hotel before we head to our next destination.

We have stayed in a lot of amazing hotels in South Africa and the people we have met so far have been really friendly and warm. However, this was different at this hotel. We received a rather cold reception when we checked in. That particular staff was indifferent and abrupt and acted as if he was wasting his time serving us. We understood that the desk was busy but it was quite apparent to us that we were repeatedly ignored and our questions were met with abrupt responses. We are very experienced travellers and we were taken aback by the service level. This sort of attitude was once again repeated by the staff at breakfast.

We were also very unhappy about the rooms allocated to us as they were located in a busy and noisy area. It was close to the pool and the conference room. The bathtub was dusty, the complimentary oranges in the room were mouldy and to top the evening, a fire started in the candle holder which we managed to put out. We told the hotel about the mini fire and no apologies were given. We left the hotel with a very bad impression of the hotel and will not be returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank alifecycle
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We had a fantastic time. The hotel and surrounding area are great. The hotel design was funky, but something was missing, maybe no personal element to a small(ish) hotel?! The service was slapdash at times. The food was good, but the restaurants in the surrounding area were a lot cheaper. The rooms were the best equipped we had in South Africa. One night my husband did not feel very well, and we stayed in the room, ordered room service, which was no hardship!

We spent a day chilling by the pool which was ruined by the loudest, most arrogant family (of non residents at a residents only pool!)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SUSCO2007
Reviewed September 5, 2010

This was really an excellent place to stay in . Free water and apples in the lobby . Perfect breakfast with a wide choice . vallet parking service is excellent . Free internet and location is very upscale. It is a hip hotel and i enjoyed it

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times, but it has been a while since I visited last, and really noticed the difference. Rather than one big issue, it was a number of little things that added up which means I won't be staying again.

I was checked into the wrong room and had to move, and then a burst water main in the complex, meant the hotel was without water for the next few hours. Not the best start after a long flight from London! Little things like loose bathroom fittings, damaged tiles, a kettle not working, and a poor (but free) internet connection, just highlights that in a "5" star hotel, the little details count. Service in South Africa can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, but I was expecting that after hosting the World Cup, things would've got better rather than worse...

I normally use the hotel car service to get to meetings, and while I found that I've had to keep confirming my bookings in the past (they won't call an overseas mobile - very annoying!), it has been reasonably reliable. Unfortunately this time round, they booked a car for the wrong time, which resulted in me being late for a very important meeting, because the hotel then had to find me alternative transport. I left my card, so I could speak with the manager, but never got the chance, and frankly, couldn't be bothered chasing. I constantly had to ring to find my driver at the end of the day, even though I was meeting them at the same place at an agreed time.

I was travelling on my own, so did eat at the hotel regularly, I would suggest making the most of the restaurants around the hotel - cheaper and a better eating experience!

In terms of location, the Melrose Arch development is excellent, plenty of shops to wander around, plus a well-stocked "Woolies" close by - the development has really grown since I first stayed there, but beware, the shops close pretty early! There is a nice bar in the hotel, but it's not the most interesting place to go to for a drink.

Overall, I think the quality of accomodation has improved in Johannesburg (I moved into a different hotel for the weekend - 4 star, and a much better experience), so I will be trying somewhere else next time around.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed here for a week and my overall impression is that it is that the price charged leads one to expect more than is actually delivered.
The rooms are designed in an open plan fashion - ie. the sleeping/working area merge into the bath/sink area, with only one internal door, which leads the shower/toilet area. This may look good and, in theory, give the feeling of space, but it makes the place feel more like a bedsit. One positive for the room, however, is that the windows open - very useful as the room did feel stuffy, even with the aircon off.
The room rate (agreed through a corporate travel agent, so unlikely to include any special deals) was room only, with breakfast costing an additional £18-20. Better (and smaller quantities - South Africa, like the USA has portion control issues) food could be had at the nearby cafes.
Most surprisingly for me was for a five star hotel, the Melrose Arch did not have its own gym. The website gives the impression that access to the nearby Virgin Active gym is complementary. Not so! There is an additional charge of around £10 per visit.
The hotel does have free wifi throughout, although the connection speed is not particularly fast and I got the impression certain services (such as Skype/streaming video) were barred.
Service was decidedly variable throughout my stay - requests would occasionally go unfulfilled; things could take a lot longer than expected. Speed does not seem to be a pre-requisite.
Melrose Arch is pleasant enough, if a little dull - for anyone who's been to Canary Wharf in London, it's similar, just the weather's better.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I am back in Australia after a phenomenal trip to SA. The soccer was amazing but a highlight was staying at Melrose Arch for the dates June 24- June 27. It's not just that I spent my entire life in SA growing up in Whiteley Road, but the service that your hotel provides is second to none. I am a seasoned traveller - both business and leisure - and I have never stayed in a hotel that provides such incredible service. The Hotel is conveniently located with a choice of excellent restaurants and coffee shops, Also easy access (1 min) to the Virgin Active Healthclub which is worldclass too. The rooms were superb but the warmth of the staff at the hotel across all areas - reception, concierge, housekeeping, restaurant was absolutely second to none.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family