Located in Melrose Arch, a large mixed use development in the Melrose suburb, the Melrose Arch hotel is a solid choice with some drawbacks.
The rooms are generously sized, with some quirky W-ish design touches, such as a safe hidden behind a picture on the wall and rubber ducks for the tub. The bathrooms sport a large soaking tub and separate rainshower. There is only one sink on the ample vanity. The Tv/entertainment system is built into the wall, and there are a selection of free DVDs.
The hotel lacks a gym--however, it has privileges at the Virgin gym located in the Melrose Arch development, though you must pay $15 per person, per day for use, which seems exorbitant given the prices for other things in South Africa. Moreover, the charge for internet in the business center is high--$15 per hour.
Johannesburg is not a walking city by any means, so the advantage of staying in this hotel is that the Melrose Arch development is gated and safe, allowing visitors to walk to/from dinner etc. There are many restaurants near the hotel, located across the courtyard from the hotel. They have managed to create a controlled, somewhat artifical environment. What you get in safety/convenience you give up in local flavor.
In sum, this is a solid choice for tourists in Johannesburg. It also seemed to attract a large business crowd.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn't ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where decor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg