Spent one night at the Melrose Arch hotel on a stopover in Joburg. The hotel's design is very contemporary but with nice African touches. It is in a gated community, which did have a bit of an artificial feel I must admit, but with what I've been hearing about Joburg, perhaps that's an advantage. Within the gated community of Melrose Arch though, there are some very nice looking restaurants and cafes, a couple of banks and a few different shops. You won't have any other options but to get the hotel to call cabs for you if you want to leave this gated community, and cabs are quite pricy. I recommend hiring a car with GPS when you arrive at the airport to save money and have more freedom and flexibility.
The room I had was nothing short of stunning. I might even go so far as to say that this is the most impressive standard room I have seen in any hotel. Plush furnishing combined with industrial cool in an unconventional yet functional room layout, packed with all the amenities you need and more! The design of the room was so well thought out, it's hard not to be impressed. They've got every minute detail down, even to the different genres of movies on DVDs in the pull out drawer underneath the TV (OK, they weren't all good movies, but to think that every single room has DVDs from 5 genres is pretty impressive.) Internet is fast and free of charge, minibar is very well stocked, and all the cupboards and storage are nicely lined as panels on one side of the room (the safe behind the painting frame is neat!). Also loved the bathtub that is almost in the bedroom area rather than the bathroom area, which is perfect for watching a movie while taking a hot bubble bath.
Tried the room service for dinner and the food was hot and nicely presented when it came to the room. Even the room service menu was excellent and full of great sounding dishes. The real stunner here is the breakfast though. This is by far the best breakfast I've seen in any hotel. Oysters, caviar, champagne are additions to the usual items, which has so much more variety than other hotels. Anything that is cooked is done to perfection. Amazing.
The only thing that was a bit of a bump in my stay was the tour to Soweto I'd arranged with the hotel. This is not the hotel's fault, but I was the only person taking the tour that day, and at one point in the tour I was dropped off in the slum by the tour reps on my own and was taken around the slum with a "local guide" who pretty much extorted money from me at the end of the tour.
Not sure if I would return to Joburg as I was not particularly impressed. However, if anyone is going, The Melrose Arch is highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn't ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where decor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Marriott, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg