“Amazing!”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I loved this hotel, it's rooms, it's location, and it's quality. Everything was perfect. We stayed in the executive suite and all our needs were catered for. It's located right at the Melrose Square and had tons of restaurants right outside.
I will stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor facing the square, it tends to get loud outside at times.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Suhaa S
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Suhaa S

The TEAM are delighted to have converted you to a hotel enthusiast! We are also delighted to hear that everything was perfect, your needs were taken care of and that you enjoyed the ambience and atmosphere that the Melrose Arch precinct offers!

Overall amazing feedback! We are proud to have you as our GUEST!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Escaped for 1 night away of romance and we could not have chosen a better place!! Decor is pristine and brilliantly placed. Breakfast is the most Amazing Delight anyone could wish for. Staff were Great and we loved our time at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel. Will recommend it everyone....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dolphin281

I was absolutely thrilled to have read your wonderful feedback about our stunning property and the fact that we were able to perfect your romantic getaway in every way possible.

On behalf of all the STAFF at this pristine property we thank you! It is absolutely amazing to get such feedback and we are standing proud that you "loved" your time at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel!

Hope we will be able to host you here again soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel was very clean and hospitable. The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Just one gripe: the free internet advertised was limited to 500 MB per day, and top-up was very expensive (USD15 per 500 MB. If you need internet for your work as a business traveller, the cost adds up as it did for me. No luxury hotel should charge for internet these days but unfortunately this is common in RSA.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Samuel BZ

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement about the service and level of standards at the African Pride Melrose Arch! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us!

Your comments regarding the Interent service and costs will most definitely be taken up with our service provider and we will together with them see if there are ways to improve on the product delivery!

We trust it will not be too long before your next visit. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here for four nights on business

The best way to describe this hotel is that it tries to be W Hotel
You have the trendy music playing in the background
Interesting design- which works much better in the public areas- bar- reception- restaurant- than in the rooms
Nice touches- rubber duckies in the bath, daily complimentary M&Ms for turn down service, fresh oysters for breakfast!

Furthermore this is in Melrose Arch. Which is one of the nicest gated communities areas in Johannesburg- where you can walk the streets in nice but artificial cobble stone streets.
As my office is closeby this was super convenient.
Lots of eating choices nearby.

Then why 3 stars?

This hotel did not work for me for several reasons:
1. Garish red lights in the room
2. Garish green lights inside the shower
3. Safe hidden behind a picture- which is cute but not when you just landed after 12 hour flight and the last thing you want to do is play hide and seek inside your own room
4. Inflexible attitude of staff- Not CUSTOMER ORIENTED: It was raining and the staff refused to lend umbrellas- so I got wet two nights in a row. Thank you Melrose Arch! Offering to walk with you is not a convenient option. Thanks but no thanks.
5. MORE BAD SERVICE I arrived 6:30 AM for breakfast in the beautiful breakfast area which was deserted and lady manning the entry gave me attitude for sitting in a four seater table as opposed to two seater. I had to ask her if she was asking me to move. She eventually backed down but this ruined the morning for me. (there was plenty of empty tables all around). Shame really as the short male employee was really friendly and gave good service even teaching me Zulu phrases when he noticed I was writing some notes for my morning meeting.

All in, I checked out a day earlier than planned and moved to a different hotel.
Next time I will try a different hotel.

Hardware is good- san lighting and too deliberate cool attempts. So come here if cool different is important.
If you value service- this hotel the Software/service can be greatly improved

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Koreaninsingapore

Dear Koreaninsingapore

I cannot thank you enough for the amazing letter and feedback to the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel through Tripadvisor! The reason for the Thank You is that I have just taken over as General Manager of this amazing property and your feedback is exactly what I need to assess the problem and concern areas as well as the positive attractions and points to focus on for future marketing within our Hotel.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the fact that the STAFF did not meet your expectations in that you had no protection from the rain and for the fact that the March Restaurant hostess displayed obvious lack of professionalism in dealing with your seating choice. Please be assured that this operation driven approach has been addressed with my Heads of Departments. Alternatives should be made readily available and offered to our GUESTS in such a manner that it is seen as a service and not a duty.

It saddens to hear that you will not return to this amazing property. It would be highly appreciated if you would reconsider another stay with us in order to not only notice the improvement on service, but also supply us with feedback that will assist the Hotel to continuously be the best destination in Johannesburg and thereby create an absolute awesome experience to our GUESTS.

Please feel free to contact me on my email if I can be of any further assistance in future! My email address is gm@melrosearchhotel.com

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I ended a 2 week trip to South Africa with a 3 night stay at the African Pride. I booked an executive room and was not disappointed. The modern decor was very nice. The room was extremely clean, spacious, and just a pleasure to be in. The morning breakfast buffet was good. I ate dinner at The March restaurant one night... food was wonderful and the service very friendly and attentive. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear KenAlaska

What an amazing honor to note that you ended your trip to SA at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel and that we managed to blow you away with immaculate decor and superb food and service!

I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to the Hotel and do hope that it will not be too long before your next visit, as we would love another opportunity to even top this visit with a more remarkable one!

See you soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

this hotel is beautiful! moderen and absolutely upmarket, but very exspensive! it is brilliantly located within Melrose Square and there is such a buzz and so much to do right at your doorstep! the sigar room and stoep is exquisite!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heilavh2016

Dear Heilavh

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation posted! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful decor, ambience and amazing atmosphere at the African Pride Melrose Arch as well as the Melrose Arch precinct.

It would be absolutely incredible to be able to invite you back to our property in future!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

First of all there was probably an overbooking on my original booking at the sister hotel "Fire and Ice" however they emailed that morning and informed me they upgraded me to the nearby African Pride. The pick up driver wasn't informed and took me to the wrong hotel, not a problem as it's 2 minutes away. Style of the hotel is fairly unique and modern. The corridors are lit in red and the rooms have a unique raw red brick wall. Slightly surprised to find an "adult DVD" for guests use inside the room, I guess these will disappear once Marriott finalizes the takeover this quarter. Staff are exactly what you expect from a 5 star. Polite and friendly. The rain showers are very large and super powerful. The bath tub was very large and oval shaped however the water was a yellowish colour. ( something I am used to living in China ) The TV stations all had bad signal. Welcome amenities include 2 bags of M&M's quite unique! A turn down service and single truffle left on the pillow. Bed was a typical 5 star standard. ( although a small dot of stain on the duvet cover which you wouldn't normally see from this calibre of hotel ) Well stocked bar and complimentary french press coffee. In all a nice hotel that I would choose again and expect to see some changes with Marriott buying the group out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Stefan B

Dear Stephen B

Thank you for the time taken to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel's modern decor and contemporary feel as well that we met your expectations in terms of a 5* establishment. The STAFF at the Hotel are one of our biggest attributes and always amazing to hear that they made our GUESTS stay complete!

Please accept my apologies for the linen as well as the reception quality on your television screen. This has received the necessary attention and will most certainly not be repeated in future.

Your comment regarding the driver that was not informed is valued feedback and have been taken up with both reservations and concierge departments as your upgrade to the Hotel should have been evident at the time of collection from the aiport already.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our amazing establishment and can confirm that we are all excitedly looking forward to what the future may hold!

Regards