African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Agoda.com
$125
$85
CrownePlaza.com
All reviewsmelrose archlibrary baroystersm msrubber duckiessurround soundvirgin gymsurrounded by restaurantsgated communitytravel deskfabulous hotelsafe areabreakfast buffetshopping and restaurantsrain showerhotel is locatedrooms are large
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I ended a 2 week trip to South Africa with a 3 night stay at the African Pride. I booked an executive room and was not disappointed. The modern decor was very nice. The room was extremely clean, spacious, and just a pleasure to be in. The morning breakfast buffet was good. I ate dinner at The March restaurant one night... food was wonderful and the service very friendly and attentive. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear KenAlaska

What an amazing honor to note that you ended your trip to SA at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel and that we managed to blow you away with immaculate decor and superb food and service!

I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to the Hotel and do hope that it will not be too long before your next visit, as we would love another opportunity to even top this visit with a more remarkable one!

See you soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

this hotel is beautiful! moderen and absolutely upmarket, but very exspensive! it is brilliantly located within Melrose Square and there is such a buzz and so much to do right at your doorstep! the sigar room and stoep is exquisite!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heilavh2016

Dear Heilavh

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation posted! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful decor, ambience and amazing atmosphere at the African Pride Melrose Arch as well as the Melrose Arch precinct.

It would be absolutely incredible to be able to invite you back to our property in future!

Kind regards

Reviewed February 26, 2014

First of all there was probably an overbooking on my original booking at the sister hotel "Fire and Ice" however they emailed that morning and informed me they upgraded me to the nearby African Pride. The pick up driver wasn't informed and took me to the wrong hotel, not a problem as it's 2 minutes away. Style of the hotel is fairly unique and modern. The corridors are lit in red and the rooms have a unique raw red brick wall. Slightly surprised to find an "adult DVD" for guests use inside the room, I guess these will disappear once Marriott finalizes the takeover this quarter. Staff are exactly what you expect from a 5 star. Polite and friendly. The rain showers are very large and super powerful. The bath tub was very large and oval shaped however the water was a yellowish colour. ( something I am used to living in China ) The TV stations all had bad signal. Welcome amenities include 2 bags of M&M's quite unique! A turn down service and single truffle left on the pillow. Bed was a typical 5 star standard. ( although a small dot of stain on the duvet cover which you wouldn't normally see from this calibre of hotel ) Well stocked bar and complimentary french press coffee. In all a nice hotel that I would choose again and expect to see some changes with Marriott buying the group out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Stefan B

Dear Stephen B

Thank you for the time taken to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel's modern decor and contemporary feel as well that we met your expectations in terms of a 5* establishment. The STAFF at the Hotel are one of our biggest attributes and always amazing to hear that they made our GUESTS stay complete!

Please accept my apologies for the linen as well as the reception quality on your television screen. This has received the necessary attention and will most certainly not be repeated in future.

Your comment regarding the driver that was not informed is valued feedback and have been taken up with both reservations and concierge departments as your upgrade to the Hotel should have been evident at the time of collection from the aiport already.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our amazing establishment and can confirm that we are all excitedly looking forward to what the future may hold!

Regards

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I believe that a rating HAS to be linked to the price paid. This is a 5 Star establishment that charges a premium price. That means it has to be held to a higher standard than a budget hotel. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights each in two successive weeks, on business. First off, the hotel is beautiful and well appointed. It is also very well located in the rarefied enclave of Melrose Arch, which means it is surrounded by some very appealing Restaurants, which I rate elsewhere. The hotel has its own in house dining area which offers a sumptuous breakfast and fine dining in the evening.
So why only 3 stars? Try this. Work out the probability of this happening without its being a common occurrence, almost a standard practice if you like. In week 1 I found on returning to my room after work, that the bath had not been cleaned from the previous night, despite the room having been made up. I performed and escalated the matter to the most senior manager.
Can you believe this. In week 2, in a different room on a different floor, I had EXACTLY the same experience! What do I take away from this? That housekeeping are lazy. that housekeeping have no effective over-inspection mechanism in place. That there is no effective managerial action to learn from experience and remediate sub-standard trends.
Sorry, at the price, there is just no excuse for this to happen ever, but twice to the same person?! No, surely not!
So thanks for the complimentary dinner to 'make up'. I truly appreciate the gesture. But prospective guests deserve to know what to expect.

Room Tip: All good. I like higher up.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank GwilymHowes
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear GwilymHowes
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. The TEAM are highly disappointed to hear that we did not live up to standard. We have revisited our housekeeping checklists to ensure that this does not occur again.
I would like to personally assure you, that this has been addressed through the necessary training, and corrective measures implemented accordingly. I am positive you will experience an excellent stay on your return.
Please contact me directly for your next trip, as I would love to personally welcome you back to the hotel. My email address is gm@melrosearchhotel.com
Sincere regards
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel and was very pleased with everything. there was a problem with my booking which was sorted out professionally by Thobile. Everyone was polite and had a fantastic positive attitude. You are warned that there is a delay in the restaurant because everything is made from scratch - there is a delay but definitely worth waiting for!! And great to know that it isn't being defrosted. The staff is so efficient, the service is personalized and nothing is too much for them. Smiles everywhere! The relaxation area/bar area is tasteful and the location is superb! I will recommend this hotel without hesitation and cant wait for the next time!

Room Tip: From what I picked up at breakfast I think that every room is probably a good one:-) I was in R 225.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Leo_travelCapeTown
The TEAM really enjoyed hosting you – thank you for staying with us, and for the lovely review.
I am privileged to work with such a passionate and dedicated service TEAM, who always strive to deliver their best. The TEAM are delighted that this resonated in such an amazing experience!
Personal regards