African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection
54 on Bath(Johannesburg)
$196
$175
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $207/night.

$243
$117
$83
CrownePlaza.com
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of $117/night.

The Residence Boutique Hotel(Johannesburg)
$243
$228
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $284/night.

$185
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsmelrose archlibrary baroystersm msmarch restaurantrubber duckiessurround soundvirgin gymsurrounded by restaurantsgated communitytravel deskfabulous hotelbreakfast buffetsafe areashopping and restaurantshotel is locatedrain shower
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had the privilege of staying at this hotel twice in two months, and both experiences were very, very good indeed. One cannot ask for a better location, as this is in the heart of all the action of Melrose Arch. Wonderful staff, from Valet staff to reception to housekeeping

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Scorpion 619

The TEAM were delighted to host you, and cannot wait for you to come back again!!
We are pleased to hear that this is your home in JHB!
See you soon!
Kind regards

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in this fab hotel with its crazy lighting and lovely outdoor bar area. Not for the traditional hotel lover, this place has colourful lighting (yes red lights over the bed, green lights in the shower) and quirky decor but don't let this put you off. The hotel is very comfortable, the rooms just lovely with comfortable beds, great baths and a wonderful outdoor pool area. Breakfast in the uber chic grey/silver restaurant is an experience not to be missed, including the French champagne! Loved staying here, felt very safe in the shopping area plus lots of great spots to eat out. Don't miss a pre dinner drink in the bar.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fork Talk O
Thank you for your review and the way in which you captured the fun, yet sophisticated atmosphere of the hotel!
What is luxury without comfort - I am glad you enjoyed the room, bed and amazing bath!
With the best breakfast in JHB, your positive comments will only further motivate the TEAM!
Best regards

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last month (May 2013) after I had initially made a booking at the Protea Wanderes hotel, only to find out on arriving that there was an issue with the disabled room. The general manager made the decision to move me to the Melrose Arch hotel and they would cover the difference in the room rate. Which I thought was fair.
Arrived at the hotel late on the first night, reception were expecting me and showed me to my room, which was located on the 2nd floor. Entrance to the wheelchair accessible room is easy enough. The room itself is large and spacious and had 2 3 quarter beds, desk, desk chair, safe, fridge and tea and coffee making facilities with cookies.
Bathroom... 1 large oval bathtub, and a fairly accessible roll in shower... The toilet and roll in shower area has its own sliding door and in the same area is a small basin. The basin in the bathtub area is so silly! There's no under the counter access, so in order to use the basin you have to sit sideways to the basin and do this twisting upper body move... *sigh* And this is the only basin with counter top space for toiletries.
So the roll in shower has NO shower seat or even a shower chair... After calling down to reception for a second time the following day, I was loaned the hotels wheelchair to use in the shower. The shower has a large glass door which I was so scared of hitting and breaking! Trying to navigate past the glass door and into the shower itself was a bit of a challenge... The shower isn't very wide but the wheelchair does fit into the shower with some moving about, its just getting into the shower that's the problem. oh and there's no height adjustable shower handle, just the normal shower head up top, which was pretty awesome, I must admit. To wash my hair I made use of the hand held shower handle which was on the oval bathtub. If they could only make the pull door into a sliding door or get rid of the massive bathtub and make the shower entrance there...
Other things which bothered me about the room...
No lowered hang rails in the cupboard (seriously)
Safe is situated pretty high up, so if anything rolls to the back of the safe, good luck trying to reach it...
The lighting!!! Are you kidding me! Bedroom area has red lights and the bathroom area green... if you want to read while in bed... Forget it! Red lights aren't for reading... And there are no bedside lamps... AND the light switches are so far out of reach I was using the light from the tv to get into bed at night after switching of all the lights... The only real reading light was at the desk area.
And the only control for the aircon is situated at the door, so don't get into bed, get all comfy and then realise you've forgotten to switch it off...

Things at the hotel which I really enjoyed:
Foyer smelt like Davidoff's Cool Waters aftershave.
I love the look of the hotel inside.
View from the room is of Melrose square which is very nice.
The staff are really friendly and very willing to assist. I had a hire car with hand controls but needed help to put my wheelchair into the car and all I had to do was ask and someone was there regardless of time of day.
The hotel is within walking distance of some great restaurants! And also a Clicks, which is just around the corner if you need any toiletries or snacks etc.
Garage parking.

Would I stay there again if I can afford to. Yes! Even with all the niggles mentioned, it's hard to beat the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear kaAngel
I am glad that we were able to accommodate at such short notice, thank you for your feedback!
I am extremely pleased to hear that you had such wonderful encounters with the TEAM and enjoyed the hotel and its location.
Your suggestions are definately something I will look into with the TEAM.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The staff at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel was WONDERFUL! This hotel understands the importance of customer service and courtesy.

The hotel is located in a nice shopping mall area with plenty of restaurants surrounding the hotel for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

The hotel is located in a very safe area and I felt very at ease and safe walking around the hotel surrounding area at night.

The one downside is the hotel does not have a gym, but there is one walking distance from the hotel. When I asked the receptionist if the hotel offered a complimentary pass to the gym in walking distance I was told for $200 Rand ($20) I could get a guest pass to the gym. You might say $20 is not alot and I agree. However, if you stayed at a comparable hotel in the U.S., if they did not have a gym they would provide you a complimentary pass to the local gym. Therefore, for the price I was paying for a week stay at this hotel I feel they should have eaten this cost and just provided me, and other guest, with a complimentary membership for the week.

Room Tip: My daughter and I stayed in the room with the two twin beds. The beds were a bit hard for my liking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RenNupe

Dear RenNupe
Thank you for your review and positive feedback regarding the TEAM. I am fortunate to work with such a passionate, professional and friendly TEAM, dedicated to providing the best GUEST service. The TEAM really appreciate your amazing feedack!
I understand your concern regarding the gym and will look into the matter.
We can't wait to host you again!
Sincere regards

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I went to Johannesburg for the first time for work, and stayed at African Pride Melrose Arch. Many business people stay there because it's deemed to be in a safe location, a consideration that most travellers are advised on before they enter South Africa. Overall it was an OK stay at Melrose Arch, not one to howl about.

Positives
1. Hotel is new and in a modern area. It'll suddenly seem like you're in midtown San Francisco. Safe.
2. Generally clean.
3. Big bed.
4. Hotel is just 4 stories tall, so walking down the stairs when the lift isn't there is a refreshing option.
5. Hotel can arrange two-way transport to your destination. It cost ZAR160 for a trip to our meeting location about 5km away.
6. There's one universal-ish socket at the desk for most plugs - it was easy to charge my laptop here. The ZA power socket is a one-of-a-kind 3 round pin socket.
7. Really liked the cookies by the coffee maker and chocolates by the bed.
8. I didn't eat at the hotel but the surrounding restaurants are fabulous. Go to JB's corner just 50m from the hotel entrance for breakfast. Meat & Co. just in front of the hotel serves up great carnivorous fare.

Negatives
1. Lighting - The hotel has this avant garde look and feel about it, with lots of quirky wall art and colour themes. What bothered me were the red lights in the room and green lights in the bathroom. The red lights were linked to the other brighter lights so if I turned them off, I would be sitting in a dim room.
2. Inconvenient switches and wall sockets - There aren't any sockets next to the bed. So I can't conveniently charge my phone and use the alarm function to wake up. The socket for plugging in the iron is below the desk.
3. During the turn down service, someone comes in and lights three tealight candles by the bathtub. It sort of freaks me out a little that there are open flames in my hotel room.
4. Window blinds - The curtains draw vertically only. This means guests can have no natural light in, dim light through the semi-sheer blinds or all the light in with blinds up. Horizontally drawn curtains would allow guests to control the natural lighting (and privacy) better.
5. General decor - Personally I feel that the hotel tries to hard to be special. The gaudy colours, clashing patterns and quirky decor end up becoming kitschy. Scaling back with muted colours with colourful accents would give the hotel a more refined persona without losing charm.
6. Given the nature of the Melrose Arch compound, it would be good if the hotel provided kitschy a simple map and directory of the shops and restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear gurms

Your detailed feedback is highly appreciated and will assist with our search for excellence.
Our location in the safe and secure precinct is great feature for all GUESTS that stay with us. The array of shops and restaurants, within walking distance ensure variety and convenience as well. I am glad that the layout, cleanliness and bed were all to your liking.
I have taken note of your concerns around the lighting. This is something we will be looking into.
Safe travels!