African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection
$199
$179
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $198/night.

$169
$114
$80
CrownePlaza.com
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

The Winston Hotel(Johannesburg)
$196
$152
Agoda.com
The Residence Boutique Hotel(Johannesburg)
$318
$302
Hotwire.com
All reviewsmelrose archlibrary baroystersm msmarch restaurantrubber duckiessurround soundvirgin gymsurrounded by restaurantsgated communitytravel deskfabulous hotelbreakfast buffetsafe areashopping and restaurantshotel is locatedrain shower
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The staff at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel was WONDERFUL! This hotel understands the importance of customer service and courtesy.

The hotel is located in a nice shopping mall area with plenty of restaurants surrounding the hotel for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

The hotel is located in a very safe area and I felt very at ease and safe walking around the hotel surrounding area at night.

The one downside is the hotel does not have a gym, but there is one walking distance from the hotel. When I asked the receptionist if the hotel offered a complimentary pass to the gym in walking distance I was told for $200 Rand ($20) I could get a guest pass to the gym. You might say $20 is not alot and I agree. However, if you stayed at a comparable hotel in the U.S., if they did not have a gym they would provide you a complimentary pass to the local gym. Therefore, for the price I was paying for a week stay at this hotel I feel they should have eaten this cost and just provided me, and other guest, with a complimentary membership for the week.

Room Tip: My daughter and I stayed in the room with the two twin beds. The beds were a bit hard for my liking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RenNupe
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear RenNupe
Thank you for your review and positive feedback regarding the TEAM. I am fortunate to work with such a passionate, professional and friendly TEAM, dedicated to providing the best GUEST service. The TEAM really appreciate your amazing feedack!
I understand your concern regarding the gym and will look into the matter.
We can't wait to host you again!
Sincere regards

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I went to Johannesburg for the first time for work, and stayed at African Pride Melrose Arch. Many business people stay there because it's deemed to be in a safe location, a consideration that most travellers are advised on before they enter South Africa. Overall it was an OK stay at Melrose Arch, not one to howl about.

Positives
1. Hotel is new and in a modern area. It'll suddenly seem like you're in midtown San Francisco. Safe.
2. Generally clean.
3. Big bed.
4. Hotel is just 4 stories tall, so walking down the stairs when the lift isn't there is a refreshing option.
5. Hotel can arrange two-way transport to your destination. It cost ZAR160 for a trip to our meeting location about 5km away.
6. There's one universal-ish socket at the desk for most plugs - it was easy to charge my laptop here. The ZA power socket is a one-of-a-kind 3 round pin socket.
7. Really liked the cookies by the coffee maker and chocolates by the bed.
8. I didn't eat at the hotel but the surrounding restaurants are fabulous. Go to JB's corner just 50m from the hotel entrance for breakfast. Meat & Co. just in front of the hotel serves up great carnivorous fare.

Negatives
1. Lighting - The hotel has this avant garde look and feel about it, with lots of quirky wall art and colour themes. What bothered me were the red lights in the room and green lights in the bathroom. The red lights were linked to the other brighter lights so if I turned them off, I would be sitting in a dim room.
2. Inconvenient switches and wall sockets - There aren't any sockets next to the bed. So I can't conveniently charge my phone and use the alarm function to wake up. The socket for plugging in the iron is below the desk.
3. During the turn down service, someone comes in and lights three tealight candles by the bathtub. It sort of freaks me out a little that there are open flames in my hotel room.
4. Window blinds - The curtains draw vertically only. This means guests can have no natural light in, dim light through the semi-sheer blinds or all the light in with blinds up. Horizontally drawn curtains would allow guests to control the natural lighting (and privacy) better.
5. General decor - Personally I feel that the hotel tries to hard to be special. The gaudy colours, clashing patterns and quirky decor end up becoming kitschy. Scaling back with muted colours with colourful accents would give the hotel a more refined persona without losing charm.
6. Given the nature of the Melrose Arch compound, it would be good if the hotel provided kitschy a simple map and directory of the shops and restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear gurms

Your detailed feedback is highly appreciated and will assist with our search for excellence.
Our location in the safe and secure precinct is great feature for all GUESTS that stay with us. The array of shops and restaurants, within walking distance ensure variety and convenience as well. I am glad that the layout, cleanliness and bed were all to your liking.
I have taken note of your concerns around the lighting. This is something we will be looking into.
Safe travels!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel is fantastic property within the Melrose Arch precinct. Highly recommend staying in Melrose Arch as one can walk around as there is 24 hour security and lots of cafes and shops.

The hotel is in a prime spot, right on the main square of the precinct. Tons of food choices right around the hotel. The hotel itself is fantastic -- trendy and cool but with a local flair. The rooms are really comfortable, large and have all the modern amenities in terms of technology and any other items that one may need. Great bathroom with shower, tub, large sink area and lots of space.

The hotel's restaurant is fantastic. Had breakfast and dinner there...everything was amazing. If you do the buffet breakfast, the spread is quite overwhelming. Lots of choices in terms of fruits, juices, cereals, yogurt, breads, eggs and more!

The staff are really helpful and the travel desk is absolutely the best. Lots of individuals choose Sandton as their base in Jo'burg. My recommendation is to go with Melrose Arch -- both for this hotel and the area. I will be back and this hotel will certainly be my base.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear barca212
Being the best in Johannesburg is what we strive for! Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with the TEAM on TripAdvisor.
Our newly renovated March Restaurant is certainly one to delight the taste buds and the TEAM will be delighted with your comments.
This prime spot looks forward to your next visit!
See you soon - personal best!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel has a great location inside the trendy Melrose Arch complex, there are some great shops, restaurants and cafes within safe walking distance.
The hotel is very smart and service was superb. We checked in quite early, about 11 am but they didn't flinch and found us rooms straight away.
The rooms are not as large as I expected , but are well fitted out with all mod cons. I liked the large walk in shower with good quality toiletries provided. The bathroom is open plan with the bedroom which would not be ideal for some people when sharing.
The 'hidden' safe in the wall was a quirky and fun idea.
The DVD player and selection of discs was a nice touch, and also the fresh coffee & french press which was provided.
It was suprising to find in such a modern purpose built hotel, which has obviously been very well designed, that there was no adequate bedside reading light, it was too dim to read at night, and only one bedside light which again is not ideal if sharing.
In fact the room is more suitable for a single traveller, and probably someone on business as there is a very comfortable desk/office set up.
I liked it and wished I had time to stay for more than one night. But it is an expensive hotel and despite all the super facilities I am still not sure if the extra cost, compared to the other hotel in Melrose Arch, is justifiable. I hope to go back again some time to do some more research on that !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear safaribird
Thank you for the review and feedback regarding your stay.
Attention to detail is what we aim for!
I am thrilled you enjoyed all the small touches. I note your comments regarding the lighting, which is something we will look into.
We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy it all over again!
Best regards

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The hotel overall was nice and extremely modern. I found the hallways to be dark and a bit frightening at night as I was all the way at the end of the hall. I really liked the local art displayed in the hallways.

They were under construction in the lobby and the breakfast area was transferred to the bar. By now it should be complete and fabulous.

Service was good, just a bit slow in many areas.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear mikni2wri
Thank you very much for staying with us, our restaurant upgrade is complete and the TEAM are proud to have delivered an amazing product!
I would love to personally host you for a property presentation on your return.
Your service points mentioned have been addressed with the TEAM and refresher training has been completed.
We look forward to hosting you again soon!
Kind regards