Stayed here using a two for one voucher on prokard gold account. Given I was getting this was my stag weekend and meant to be a massive treat! I wish I hadn't bothered as severely let down!!!
At check in was told I had been upgraded to a "suite" room and this wasn't the case. I was in the room I had paid for. I questioned this and was told I had not been upgraded and confirming with staff the next day the room I got was not an upgrade but what I paid for. massive disappointment given I had been led to believe I had been upgraded and wasn't.
Upon check in I requested a wake up call for 9:30 the next (1st) morning. Never got it and missed my breakfast with my friends who had come from Pretoria. I did however get a call at 11:00 telling me the Internet was going to be down and upon my asking why I hadn't been woken up as I had ask I was told that I had been called. Then I was told they didn't have any record of my wake up call. Really annoying to not even get a simple answer as to why I didn't get a call.
The tv was set in French so I could not even have set the tv clock for a wake up call the next morning. Upon trying to ring down for help to fix this... Reception was engaged. Then when it did ring.... No one answered.
Upon arrival into the room the first day I had been given two bottles of still water complimentary - which is standard in protea hotel group. These are resealable water bottles and filled each day usually. Upon day two - my free night - this was not provided. The empty used bottles were not removed from the room. Assume it was because I was in fact providing any revenue room for that night.
The room keys in this hotel are an utter nightmare. If you have it within meters of a mobile phone or cell phone you need to go aaaaallllllllllll the way back downstairs to get them to issue you with a new key. Highly annoying. Only once did I return to the room and not have to take the key to be remade.
Upon returning to my room on the last night - free night - the linen on the bed had holes in it. (Photis attached) This in my mind is not acceptable for a five star hotel. Upon trying to ask about it my call to reception went unanswered. I literally have no clue how that is ok but it was what was given to me.
I then went to bed and saw the chocolate on my pillow had a finger nail mark on it. So that was not very appetising and needless to say I wouldn't have eaten that for all the money in the world!!!
I was booking into their sister hotel Fire and Ice the day I was checking out of the African Pride Melrose Arch. On the day of my checking out I asked if I could have a late check out given check out was 11am and check in at the other hotel was 2pm and was told this was not possible. I was also told assisting me to the other hotel was not possible. I have problems walking and well that was just very disappointed and wish I had stayed at the Wanderers hotel where I usually stay as their beds are always spotless and a fraction of the price than this hotel, and the MD Caroline runs the most fantastic hotel with staff always going the extra mile for their guests!!!
As a five star hotel sadly they fell very short on this stay and given how special this was meant to be for me.... I would save your money and get a MUCH better experience down the road for half the price at the Wanderers. They truly know how to look after their guests unlike this place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn't ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where decor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg