“Fabulous hotel in a great location”

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed here for a week, having previously lived in this hotel for 3 months in 2008 I was curious as to whether it would now be showing its age. In fact, it looks as brand new, funky and clean as when I last stayed here - and was very pleasantly surprised that the staff remembered me (that may not be a good thing!).

The rooms are all similar but well laid out, with great big comfy beds and plenty of space to work. Internet connectivity was vastly improved on last time, the odd-Joburg power cut notwithstanding.

I didn't eat here (too much choice in the wider Melrose Arch now to stay in) but a colleague highly commended the in-room catering.

The stand out thing for me is the quality of the staff - they are all extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. You couldn't ask for more.

I will definitely be booking here on my next trip and this hotel is the one I always recommend first to business colleagues travelling to SA.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear Zippy_69
It was great to have you back!
A focus of the TEAM is to get to know and understand exactly what your specific requirements are when staying with us.
It is positive to hear that the hotel still looks and feels as “funky and clean” as what you remembered from your previous stay – we continually strive to improve the product and service offering the hotel has to ensure that your expectations are exceeded.
On your return I would like to invite you for dinner in the March Restaurant at the hotel, in order for you to experience our some of chef’s signature dishes which include: Spiced Springbok Shank in a Port Jus or Guinea Fowl and Cherry Samoosas.
Thanks for your feedback – I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel!
Kind regards

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I checked in to the hotel last week and was staying for 5 days. I asked for a nice room since that was the first time I was staying with them. They gave me the stock answer of "all our rooms are nice". Well, I guess I got the "nice" one overlooking the parking lot. Once the porter got my bags and escorted me to the room, he was actually on the phone the entire time which I found incredibly rude. Then, the Internet connection wasn't working in my room and they told me to call IT. At this point I called the manager and lodged all my complaints and in fairness to them they did become attentive thereafter. Pity, it had to take being assertive to get descent service. The hotel is well located and in a safe area. However, it has no gym and you have to use the virgin active down the street (at a cost). I wouldn't go so far as calling them 5 star, but it wasnt bad if you have a bit of patience of the sub par service level.

1  Thank Miami2London
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2012

Dear Miami2London
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay.
On behalf of the TEAM - please accept my apologies for the service lapses you experienced at our hotel.
My TEAM have addressed and resolved the points mentioned, to ensure we uphold our service levels to exceed your expectations.
Could you kindly mail your contact details through to me on: zene@melrosearchhotel.com as I would like to get in touch.
I look forward to hearing from you, and personally welcoming you back to our hotel!
Jean-Claude and TEAM

Reviewed March 3, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this wonderful hotel. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly and helpful porter and then the warm and genuinely friendly reception staff that continued to be gracious throughout our stay. We requested a non smoking room room that had clearly been smoked in. We requested another room which was arranged within seconds. Housekeeping delivered prompt service too. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and of a great variety. The pool area is a relaxing and tranquill. The service at this hotel is highly efficient and the attitude and approach of the staff needs to be commended. We were a group or water polo parents traveling from Cape Town and I hope we are able to stay with you again same time next year!! Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear TEAM C/Town

On behalf of our TEAM – it was an absolute pleasure to host you!
Thank you for the kind words and pointers regarding the hotels service delivery – the feedback will be conveyed to my TEAM to ensure we continue providing excellent service to all our GUESTS.

Congrats with your results - see you next year!

Reviewed February 28, 2012

The hotel was an oasis amid the chaos of Johannesburg. Quiet and safe neighborhood with good restaurants and shopping malls. Cool atmosphere, cozy environment. Gentle and personalized care. Stunning rooms.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mr. Bruno Vilaca

Thank you for staying with us - I am glad to hear you found JHB's trendiest oasis!!

We really appreciate your positive feedback, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!

Safe travels!

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel. It is really a very lovely hotel. Location is superb, has a lovely restaurant and bar area, quite a cool pool area and access to a nearby gym that is very well equipped. I think the highlight are the rooms, with DVD players, separate baths and showers, well stocked minibar & free internet. The decor is very stylish and cool. Despite some other reviews to the contrary on TA, I found the staff to be very lovely and very helpful.

The only downside, for me, is that the rooms can be rather noisy in the morning. I have been woken several times with the sound of people slamming doors and the maids are not as quiet as they could be before 9am (they should remember that some guests arrive from differing time zones).

All in all though, bring some earplugs and its a fantastic place to stay,

Room Tip: ask for a room at teh end of a corridor to minimize noise from other guests
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Dear Danamdro,

Thank you for passing comment on your stay and we are thrilled to see how our product has delivered the services you expected during your travels.
I also thank you for bringing your comments on noisy corridors to our attention. We have as a precautionary measure checked all door self closing mechanisms to be sure these are correctly closing, and taken immediate re-communication of standards to the TEAM to ensure we respect your privacy.
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to pass comment.... greatly appreciated!

Safe Travels and Thank you for allowing us to host you on your travels.

Best Wishes
Joe & TEAM

Reviewed February 22, 2012

had a quick and good stay. I begrudge places like this, as i think it's madness to pay this much for a night's rest. But i guess that's upmarket hotels in general... low value for money. But at least all was in order and the service was fab

Room Tip: all the same
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Dear More-Elbow-Room,

On behalf of the TEAM, thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We are most pleased that we delivered the level of service you expected and took great pride in passing these onto the TEAM at the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not to distant future.

Our Very Best
Joe & TEAM

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Excellent service, the room are spacious and nicely decorated. it is within a very safe area with shops and restaurants all around. on a pricy side but i would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Loresinga,

On behalf of the TEAM at African Pride Melrose Arch, our appreciation towards your comments and for the opportunity of hosting you during your travels.
As a senior contributor on TripAdvisor, your comments are truly valued and the TEAM were thrilled to read about your experiences. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the offering of the hotel and the complete Melrose Arch precinct. We have passed your comments to all involved.

Safe Travels and we look forward to the privilege of hosting you in the future.

Best Wishes