“So privileged”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“So privileged”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Have been to this restaurant on a few occasions now. This must be No.1 in Jhb. Attention to detail unbelievable. I had the Foie Gras. comparable with anything I have eaten in Europe. perfectly cooked. For Mains I had the duck which was cooked to perfection. Service attentive but not overpowering. My colleague ordered fillet steak, medium to well, on the basis that he always orders steak this way, expecting well done. This arrived to his astonishment "Medium well" as ordered - to his horror. What a great place to have a special meal. All this comes at a cost.

• Visited August 2013

Paris, France
1,173 restaurant reviews
“Excellent place for a delicious lunch”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Seems like DW Eleven-13 is A place in Johannesburg - whomever I've asked about a nice lunch place suggested DW. Clearly they must be doing something right as when we arrived for a late lunch it was still full. Nice modern decoration and well spaced tables, allowing for a quite conversation. The wine list offers what is the best in SA wine production and goes well with light and modern food being served there. Quite unusual warm crayfish and sweetbread salad was a delicious starter followed by another starter turned into main, roasted langoustine with quail. Main disappointment was impossibility to try all other dishes but looking at what was being served elsewhere everything looked very nice, fresh, light and appealing ! My friends' confit duck was excellent as well as roasted/grilled springbok.
Great place, to revisit asap.

• Visited July 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“True Fine Dining in South Africa”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My friends and I eat out fairly often and we didn't know what to expect, but this place is uber impressive. All our food was amazing!! The lamb and Springbok loin were our 2 favourite dishes. Having read some of the other mediocre reviews I was bit worried, but the professional and attentive service and the orgasmic food completely blew us all away.
The downside of this restaurant is that the lady at the door doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humour and the atmosphere isn't great as Thomas Maxwell. It seems much more formal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SashSA
Johannesburg, South Africa
“I was a little dissappointed”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

So I had wanted to eat here for so long and finally I had a chance to for my birthday. While it attempts to offer us Johannesburg residents fine dining there is a bit of note quite, happening. 1) the service people in being "professional" as it may be, are a little presumptuous and patronizing. I tried all of the dishes that I fantasized about trying and I have to say in each there was a disappointment. there were issues with seasoning. the terrine was salty, the quail was really salty. and for those who ate the polenta offered with many meals - major no no. it was as though it had been set with gelatine and not in a good way. I will try it again, but I think there are better restaurants in the city.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank ragingpoet
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Fare & Service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I eat out a lot thanks to my job & as yet have never been disappointed at this restaurant
Service has always been top drawer & food is as good as i have tasted particularly in Johannesburg. Is however quite expensive but dont mind as long as food is of this quality.

• Visited April 2013