“Never Ever Again... unlike McArthur I will not return”
Review of DW 11-13

DW 11-13
Ranked #11 of 1,323 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

2 years ago we walked out of this restaurant unfed - we had waited 21/2 hours for our food and we left as it was served. We swore never to return. But... friends were visiting and wanted to experience (theoretically) one of the best restaurants in Joburg. Our experience was just disappointing in every respect. The waiters were intrusive when we were talking and unavailable when needed so a lot of windmill waving to attract attention was done. I ordered the starter of butternut brulee- after 15 minutes a manager asked if I would mind sweet potato instead. When I said in that case to cancel the order , he said my choice was available(but why ask and suggest another option in this case?).anyway , the butternut was like Purity baby food in a ramekin and served cold. No crusty brulee topping in sight. I queried it and was told they served it like this. A friends salmon starter was average and tiny. Starters are R100 upwards. My salmon main course was ok- but it was not innovative or inventive. Just salmon and a block of potatoes . My husband - a vegetarian - had to ask if there was something for him to eat as no vegetarian food was listed. Service was lacklustre and rather rude . Food average but expensive for average. My recommendation is to steer clear.

8  Thank PeripateticPippa

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I liked the food, which I feel is good value. The menu choices were fair and the service good. This is one of my favourite restaurants as it is consistent and the menu often offers interesting new experiences.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place is absolutely deserving of a Top 10 Restaurant award title. Completely worth it!
We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. Struggled to choose our favourite dish - perhaps the gorgonzola ice cream?

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had the degustation menu for lunch today. From the Butternut Creme Brûlée to the petit fours ( 6 courses ) all wonderful. Love it when I revisit a restaurant and it surpasses my expectations yet again. Thank you for keeping Gauteng on the map in the top 10 restaurants in South Africa.
And all these wonderful dishes made with such thought and excellent fresh produce. Very reasonably priced as well. Cannot wait to taste that amazing palate cleanser ( litchi,Malibu and chili cream) again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went to DW11-13 on a Saturday for lunch, food was excellent, service was great, we were not rushed. A bit disappointed with the salmon (not sure about the crust...), but the starter was fabulous (quails and langoustines).
Not cheap, but not expensive for what you get!
I like quiet restaurants, I loved it there. Table of 5, we didn't have to raise our voice to talk to each other.
One of my top 5 restaurants in Joburg for sure, and they will see me again very soon!