“Master chef style” 5 of 5 stars

DW 11-13
Ranked #11 of 1,072 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Master chef style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Excellent restaurant ... Food you might find on masterchef Australia. Service is also good. It is pricey but worth it for the quality and the experience. Good for a big occasion .

“Superb Corporate lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Despite being a fairly large lunchtime table, with professionals who arrived sporadically throughout the afternoon, the service was slick and professional and attentive and we didn't wait long at all for our food. The food was superb. For starters I had a melon and goats cheese salad. For mains, the lamb shoulder which was soft succulent and perfectly complemented by triple cooked chips! I did have a bit of menu envy when one of my colleagues had his starter, but with a butternut creme brûlée as a choice, you cannot blame me. I skipped dessert, I am afraid to day, but the chocolate tart looked spectacular.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Divine food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

It is no wonder that this restaurant has been in the Top 100 internationally, as judged in the San Pellegrino awards. We went for a special celebration and decided that this warranted going for the 7 course, paired with wine, degustation menu. If such a thing is possible, the food seemed to improve with each course!
The love that is put into each dish is discernible and wow what amazing flavors! From a technical perspective, what was produced would compare with the best. How the chef managed to produce crayfish that was both juicy, light and crispy, is a secret to behold. The oil infused liquid ball drops were just incredible. Apart from the food, the wine experience was also an absolute journey, from champagne, to viognier and Bukketraube, which I haven't seen for years, followed by lovely Pinot Noir, among others and the meal concluded by desert wine.

The service could have been a bit more attentive and for a fine dining restaurant, fish knives and forks really should have been provided with the crayfish and salmon course. However, the food was just so brilliant, that I could overlook these small details.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Superior restaurant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I visited DW 11-13 this evening for our 4 year anniversary.

It is difficult to get a booking - so we were pleased when we finally managed to get one.
On arrival, the Maitre D greeted us warmly and showed us to our table.

I found the atmosphere to be lacking, however the decor is understated yet elegant and very nice. I felt the music could have been a) nicer and b) slightly more prominent - almost couldn't tell that there was music.

The menu is lovely - we were hard pressed to pick one starter and one main. We each loved our meals - beautifully presented, incredibly tasty, well seasoned.
Start of the show was my dessert, Strawberry Eton Mess - perfect way to end the meal.

The service was not perfect, but it wasn't bad either. I thought our waitress was a little "unpolished" for the establishment.
It is not cheap - on average R120 for starters and R140 for mains. Looking at about R60 on average for a dessert.

All in all, our meal came to R1300 for 3 courses, 2 white wine spritzers, 3 glasses of red wine and tip.
Will definitely go back, for a special occasion.

• Visited January 2013
Johannesburg
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Food is very good. Presentation is outstanding. Staff are a bit slow but all in all a pleasant evening out.

• Visited October 2012