“NOT the best in Johannesburg.” 3 of 5 bubbles

DW 11-13
Ranked #15 of 1,172 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“NOT the best in Johannesburg.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

The food wasn't bad at all, but nothing to rave over. The ambience - boring. The one highpoint was their Cosmopolitans, which were the best I have had anywhere.

3 Thank Steve S

“Simply sublime!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We have been to DW 11-13 a few times. Every time the foodmhas been spectacula, but this time the food and service was on another level.
We had the dehydration menu, and every single course was perfectly complementary with the other tastes on the plate. The springbok dish was probably the best dish we have ever had! And the lobster, quail and foie GRAS was so close behind! We loved the deconstruction of the gorgonzola ice cream.

We have typically not been wowed by the service, but once again the service was completely in a league of it's own, friendly, attentive yet unimposing...
Superb date night evening and we look very forward to bringing our friends and trying the dehydration menu all over again!!!

Stellenbosch
“Fantastic food execution, pity service was terrible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The food is amazing, we had the tasting menu which was very well done and balanced. The springbok Tataki is a genious dish, the fillet is a revalation and the chocolate dessert a tribute to Valrhona chocolates.
The service was appaling, sad that such delicious food is spoiled by uncaring and unpassionate managers in the front.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kdequekervandermerwe
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Unwilling, Highly disappointing, Arrogant attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

It is August already and I have been trying to make a booking since January. I find it totally unacceptable. The answer always is: "we are fully booked for tonight, for tomorrow night and the week ahead" always said with arrogance as if the establishment prides itself for the above. They are not even trying to offer to contact back in case they have a cancellation (I have insisted on leaving my number many times), a late table etc.
It is always "we cannot help you" short and off the phone. I just called again and the general manager told me "sorry, there isn't anything I can do". It didn't occur to him that he could offer me the first available date, to take my details in case there is a cancellation etc.
I am no longer interested on how delicious the food might be. To me the service is already terrible. There are fantastic restaurants we have visited all over the world. One of the Michelin rated in Genova last week, fully booked at 22h did not turn us back. They offered us a complimentary drink and asked us for 10 to 20 minutes, then they gave us the best service and some of the most memorable food.. If there is a will there is a way. I find it really hard to believe that in eight months I have been unable to get a booking within a week of my call to DW 11 - 13 and I refuse to make a booking for dinner more than a week in advance.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank DessislavaI
Johannesburg, South Africa
“This is our favourite 'special occasions' place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

DW 11-13 is a superb spot for special celebrations. So far, we've been there for three or four birthdays, Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day and a few other family events, and each time, it's been superb.

The menu is creative and clever. The food is always exceptional, and the service sincere, knowledgeable and attentive. The wine list is great.

A couple of people have told me they won't try it because it's located just off a parking lot, but you can't see that from inside and the interior decor is lovely. For us, DW 11-13 is a favourite.

Visited June 2012