“Average and expensive”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Average and expensive”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visited this restaurant with high expectations after reading the usual hoo-haa reviews. The food was good but not more so than any other up-market Indian restaurant in Joburg. And it is very expensive. So if you are looking for excellent Indian cuisine, The Raj is worth a visit of course, but is in no way exceptional.

• Visited December 2013

Durban
“Mixed reviews from the group”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love Indian Cuisine and I will go out of my way to eat good Indian food. Since we were going to the theatre at Monte-casino, The Raj was, for me, a no brainer choice. However my meal was disappointing. I have scored them 3 star (it would be lower if I was scoring on my meal alone) because although my Chicken Korma was bland and fairly tasteless, other members enjoyed their meals including Butter Chicken and Lamb Curry. The Prawn Curry (also in Korma Sauce) which another member of our group ordered was also poor. The prawns were mushy, a sign of using less than fresh ingredients and the sauce was, like mine, bland and relatively tasteless. The service was adequate but not great and not once did any member of management check on our table of 5. With all the choices on offer at Monte-casino complex, The Raj would no longer be my first choice.

Visited June 2014
UK
“Good food”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Good tasty food and great friendly service. Reasonably priced for Monte Casino. Will come back again soon. Lamb chop starter is recommended.

Sandton, South Africa
“Good food - a bit pricey”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Good food however a bit expensive. Service was okay. Can be improved. Overall a good experience but we have had better.

Visited February 2014
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

What a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Montecasino. Great Decor, wonderful service and fabulous food - Highly recommended !!!

• Visited October 2013