“Brilliant way to brighten up a Sunday Afternoon”
Review of Gilroy's Brewery

Gilroy's Brewery
Ranked #160 of 1,231 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and another couple were on a bit of a Sunday afternoon meander with another couple when we discovered Gilroys. I have been to a number of different Irish themed pubs outside Ireland before and a lot of them are anything but traditional, however the only thing that I could say that wasn't an Irish tradition here was the weather.

There was a fantastic menu with lots of choice. My husband and male friend both enjoyed pies of which there are a number of varieties. Although I'm vegetarian I found that there were also a number of choices and I choose the vegetarian wrap while my friend had the traditional bangers and mash - I'm pleased to say that the champ was fantastic.

By far the best thing on the menu was potato skins starter served with cheese, sour cream and salsa, it was amazing.

As Gilroys brews its own beers we tried a few of them and really enjoyed them, at the shops you can even buy them to take home with you.

Apart from the food the entertainment was also very good there was a singer/guitar player for most of the afternoon singing very easy listening music and the owner even appeared to make a toast (something which he does regularly) before singing a couple of Irish songs.

1  Thank Departed_Scot
There are newer reviews for Gilroy's Brewery

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was at Gilroy's on Friday evening (17 August) for a Rock for Cancer concert. The vibe at this outdoor restaurant and brewery was fantastic.....typically warm, South African welcome. My wife and I tried different beers (they brew 4 on site). I had the Light (a pale lager that tasted great) and she had the "Serious" a dark, slightly bitter beer which was not to my taste but which she LOVED. The evening's entertainment was a good mix for both the older folk and the youngsters and no-one seemed to be left out in the cold.
Food was a bit mediocre but as pub food goes, it wasn't too bad.
Gilroys is child friendly and I would definitely recommend it for a relaxed Friday evening out or even for a Saturday or Sunday lunch.

2  Thank BryanAndrews
Reviewed July 30, 2012

...and proud of it. Sunday afternoon pub lunch, great fare and excellent ale. They have a live band playing, you get a sunday up yours from Gil and some poetry, very dignified. If you fancy yourself a beer connoisseur, go to Gilroy's to try their Ale, they have a range to taste and try till you find your favourite Favourite. Mine is the Favourite as it so happens. Once you have settled on your drink, check out the menu, excellent pub grub, I went for the beer battered chicken strips to start and the beer battered fish and chips; you can see a theme emerging. I also clearly ordered far too much food and could not finish my meal, it was delicious.

2  Thank seanvaderwalker
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Gilroys is a stunning venue to hang out on a Sunday and listen to live music. The setting next to the glass factory with the little shops and creative things for the kids to do is wonderful.
The food at Gilroys is not really to my liking - no small snack type dishes that one can have while enjoying your beer. If you are not into eisbein and burgers there is not much else to choose from under a R100.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Lovelly Engligh pub and brewhouse. Great locally produced ales and lagers paired with fantastic English pub food! Well worth a visit

1  Thank Alistair M