“Best indian meal I've ever had”
Review of Spiceburg

Spiceburg
Ranked #110 of 1,211 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Best indian meal I've ever had”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I came over to Joburg to do some business and ate in a few restaurants whilst I was here. The general standard of restaurants here appears to be very high but this completely blew me away. It's not much to look at from the outside but once you sit down you get presented with a menu of such epic choice and variety it puts all UK indian restaurants to shame. Both North and South indian cooking was well represented - there must have been more than 120 dishes to choose from across the starters, mains, rice and breads. We ordered quite a variety of dishes and everything was simply outstanding. It was so good I asked to get the chef out to congratulate him - something I have NEVER done before. If in town you absolutely MUST go here. It's just stunning food. The total for three of us over two courses and a bottle of win? £40. Amazing. If you could reproduce this in the UK you would make a fortune.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Richard154995

South Africa
“Try it for the South Indian Fare, Park on the road”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were tired of the North Indian Fare and were looking earnestly for a South Indian food joint. I tried one that serves South Indian but that is average and expensive too in Melrose Arch. When we were referred to Spiceburg by one of our friends we did not waste any time in visiting the place. But we were in for a shock to know that we would have to pay 20 rands for parking which was not legal. The streets were parked with cars as it houses several other restaurants.

In the restaurant, the ambience was good as if the positive vibe of the whole street flowed in to the restaurant. We were escorted to the table by the staff and found the attitude and service of the staff way better than all other indian restaurants we have been to. However I was in for a shock when i read the menu. The first page talks about some dubious 'facts' about India's history.

But the south indian dishes listed on the menu made us sit-up and take notice. While I went for the restaurant's recommendation my fellow foodie went for a south india dish "Dosa". And the dosa turned out to be the best we have had in South Africa. I am pretty sure that same would be the case with all other south-indian fare they have on offer. For a non-indian i would definitely recommend trying the south-indian fare in consultation with the service staff as per their palate.

But the lamb shank recommended by the staff turned to be average and one of the most expensive (Approx 150 rands). So much for average stuff!! Atleast the waiter should have informed me. I rued my decision of asking the staff for recommendation. If you do so make sure what the price is. No wonder if the 'salesman' like staff would sell you cheap wine in the guise of an expensive one. Short-changing your customers won't get them repeat business is what they need to understand.

On the positive side, there was not much to fault with and we had a good time there. Certainly we will visit next time but would make our own choices.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Swaptraveller
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Unexpected”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Rather souless venue, but the food was excellent.However, a friend had ordered the menu, which I suspect is not the standard fare. We had a private room, which made up for the rather dreary atmosphere in the main restaurant

Visited May 2011
2 Thank Dusanka
Johannesburg
“Let the owner recommend your meal for you.”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Had a wonderful meal at Spiceburg on Friday night 16th March, 2012. As mentioned in another post, the owner is passionate about his food. He asked what our palate was ie how spicey and what area of the menu we were looking and then recommended what we should have. He wasn't wrong - everything they brought to the table was superb. I have decided that next time, I will again trust his judgement and enjoy something new.

• Visited March 2012
“Authentic Indian Cusine!”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Spice burg is different from any other Indian restaurant in Jhb....Why? Well....to put it simply it has a non-monolithic cuisine. One gets tired off north Indian cuisine and this is a place that displays the art of South Indian cuisine at it's best! Where else in Joburg can I get a Dorsa?Where? Where else can I get my Rasam? Where I ask you? This is a gem. Other reasons: hospitable owner,nice new ambiance at it's new venue,clean,value ( in comparison to some of these other over rated pricey restaurants) and menu so diverse to keep one going back! Enjoy Jhb!