“Awesome Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thava Indian Restaurant

Thava Indian Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 1,173 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Awesome Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very substantial menu covering many geographical regions of India, which generally results in everything being mediocre. However Thava was an exception.

I have a soft spot for indian cuisine, partially due to my own Pakistani heritage, and as such have sampled several Indian restaurants in Johannesburg. Thava has a lot of competition (Gazal and Swad all provide amazing specimens of indian cuisine).

I was recommended this place by a close friend who lives in the neighbouring Kilarny area, I normally do not venture this far away from Sandton / Fourways but this was definitely worth the trip. Our table sampled a mix of vegetarian and meat based dices and a selection of Naan's and rice accompaniments all of which were well received. The only slight reservation was that the dishes which were requested as spicy were still tame in respect to the expected levels of chilli. Although the food was good, id probably stick to Ghazals if I was in the neighbourhood.

Enjoy.

• Visited November 2013

Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Best Indian Cuisine in Jozzy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Definitely worth more than a few visits. With the option of half portions makes it all the more worthwhile.

• Visited August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“The Worst Paneer I Have Ever Had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had one of the worst Indian meals I have ever had this evening. Took a business partner for dinner. He had a reasonable lamb curry with rice.

I ordered a Paneer tikka masala with jura-pilao rice and a garlic nan bread. I normally eat this at least once a week at my regular place in Cape Town so I know what is good and what isn't.

The paneer tikka masala was completely tasteless and the cheese itself tasted like soap. I told the manager and asked him to swap it for a plain paneer tikka which he did. But the new dish arrived and was just as tasteless and soapy.

Service was also dreadful. Not sure how this place stays so packed out. The food looks good, but is really average. I wont be back.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank NATO-SA
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“One of the fine Indian restaurants in Johannesburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

An imaginative and diverse menu selection and well-prepared dishes makes Thava a fine dining experience. The ambiance is great and the service is attentive. For special occasions and treats we often visit Thava, and have always enjoyed our meal there.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sanjay D
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Thava the place to go!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

What a super Indian restaurant, made even better since they moved to across the road recently. The service is impeccable! We popped in for dinner and were asked if we had a reservation, when we said we didn't they were taken aback as we were informed that for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights you should book. Having said that they seated us at a table and gave us a complementary soup. The soup was devine! So glad they did this as we would never have ordered soup. The meals are tasty and the portion sizes are more than adequate. Such a lovely night out!

• Visited August 2013