“My favourite hotel in the hotel”

The Residence Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Literally the nicest hotel I have stayed in. The service from the moment we arrived to the moment we left was impeccable and very personal, without being obtrusive. The staff do everything they can to make your stay comfortable and special. The whole hotel was incredibly clean and the decor was beautifully opulent down to the smallest detail. We had a lovely suite with a jacuzzi where my friend and I spent a very relaxing afternoon! The food was lovely as were the cocktails. And the turn down service was a real treat at the end of each day. We also made good use of the sauna, steam room and the treatments offered at the spa were excellent. I won't be staying anywhere else when I return to Johannesburg next year!!! Thank you to the whole residence team.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clairedums
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really do appreciate it and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure being of service to you and look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Till then take care and all the very best.

There are newer reviews for The Residence Boutique Hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I hope everyone gets the opportunity to spend a few nights at The Residence. It was pure heaven, from the opulent decor with chandeliers everywhere (yes even in the bathrooms) to the decadent meals all presented so wonderfully with silver laden tableware. The staff's attire was impeccable and their constant effort to making your stay more enjoyable was over the top. The General Manager's dedication to overseeing this magnificent hotel should be commended. She so impressed us with her kindness and attention to detail. She introduced me to the talented and ever so handsome owner. We were told that the owner's amazing gift for decorating and touches of class and hospitality are evident everywhere..... Just a truly amazing experience we will never forget..... Thank you Edgar Rudge

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret H
The Residence T, Manager at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. We really do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. We hope you had an enjoyable trip back home and hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.
All the very best.
The Residence team
PS. Edgar thanks you for your kind words and wishes you all the very best.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

It was our first time at The Residence and we were blown away! Such great attention to detail. I mentioned when making the booking that it was our 6 year anniversary...when I arrived (earlier than my fiance), a lovely lady by the name of Charity immediately wished me a happy anniversary and in the suite there was already a bottle of champagne on ice as well as a card wishing us once again! There is literally music everywhere in the hotel which is rather soothing. Simple things like the way your food is placed at your table and the covers removed simultaneously, the little reading lights on the menu, the Belgian truffle and mini Amarula waiting at your bedside when you arrive from dinner...all these little touches literally make you feel like royalty. Dinner at the restaurant as well as breakfast were delicious and well presented (the final touch being the complimentary Belgian truffles arriving on dry ice at dinner!). In the suite there is also a complimentary Nespresso coffee machine with pods and a mini bar fridge with complimentary soft drinks and bottled water which is not standard practice in the best of South African hotels. By the time we had arrived back from dinner, the empty champagne bottle and dirty glasses were removed and the ice bucket replaced. All in all a five star experience. I will not hesitate to return to or recommend this hotel to others...a real treat.

Room Tip: We were in room 6, which was stunning with an outdoor deck, outdoor shower as well as a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your anniversary with us and congratulations once again. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review.
Wishing you both all the very best and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our second stay (first time May 2012) at The Residence and they have really gone from strength to strength. Much can be said about the interior (like the stunning chandeliers) and the great service, but it's really the mood of 'going the extra mile' that impresses most. Management clearly has a knack for attracting super staff - all working together seemlessly to make one feel at home, relaxed and well cared for. What a pleasure to stay here. Congratulations to the owners and staff for creating a memorable experience. You deserve all the accolades that come your way!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6, felt like an apartment with jacuzzi and lots of sun on the patio
1  Thank Rudi S
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Welcome back. It is always a great pleasure having you stay with us. Thank you so much for your review. We really do appreciate it. From all of us at The Residence we would like to wish you all the very best and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is lovely. We recently stayed here for two nights and enjoyed ourselves completely. There was a small problem with our room but this was rectified quickly and efficiently by the staff. All the staff were welcoming and could not do enough to help us. The decor is very tasteful, the grounds are stunning and the food is delicious. If you visit Johannesburg, I would recommend you stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Wishing you all the very best for the rest of 2013 and hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

kindest regards

Reviewed March 16, 2013

After 34 days in Africa a bit of luxury was so appreciated. A bath service in my out door tub, with rose petals. Dinner in my room. Fantastic way more that anyone could eat breakfast of quality food. No one was staying in my room the next day so I got to have use of it till I left for my late in the day flight back home. The small details were so appreciated.
The only thing I would of done differently was have another service to take me to airport. The one Hotel used was way more than any other I used in Johannesburg and my other Hotels were even further from airport.

Room Tip: their basic room is luxury
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to do so. We thank you for your feedback and would like to confirm that we have double checked our transfer rate even though it is a Rolls Royce and it is still in line with other service providers.
We would like to wish you all the very best and hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Residence may be my finest hotel experience. Ever. The decor, grounds, lighting, attention to detail are all exquisite, warm and welcoming. The physical features alone would make this a five star rating. But the staff are what make this experience so wonderful. Everyone went out of their way to make us comfortable, from the moment we arrived. The food was superb, beautifully presented and graciously served. The outdoor spaces of the rooms with jacuzzis are sublime. The jacuzzi is not something I usually seek, but I love outdoor space. And these units have the loveliest outdoor seating and dining that I have ever experienced. I enjoyed a great massage and nail treatment on the premises. And do ask for the hotel to arrange transportation for you. The drivers are knowledgable and very professional. I hope to return and find the same wonderful people creating this wonderful place. Thanks to all of you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. Those with a jacuzzi have incredible outdoor space. The Mandela suite is o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really do appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Its always welcoming hearing that the hard work and attention to detail is noticed and appreciated.
We hope to see you again someday soon and wish you all the very best.

Kindest regards,