“Not just a meal, an experience!!!”
Review of Cube Tasting Kitchen - MOVED

Cube Tasting Kitchen
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to Cube twice now and both times have had an amazing experince. The food you will taste is unlike anything you have had before - the imagination, thought and effort that goes into every dish is remarkable - you will taste things like apple paper, berry leather, and tomato jelly. The chef is outstanding. My only complaint was that they were short staffed the last time I went, so one of the waiters had to introduce each dish rather than the chef who normally does it. It makes a huge difference having the chef talk you through each dish you're about to eat as it is so intricate.

1  Thank Moomole

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Supposed to be the best culinary experience in the city, but I'm afraid to say I just found it a bit pretentious and lacking in real flavour. All our courses came covered in a sprinkling of pea shoots. Service was very pleasant .Maybe it wasn't their night in the kitchen. An international diner would not be impressed.

4  Thank chieftany
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took a guest from New York after she had read an article in the New York Times called "36 hours in Johannesburg". This was also my first visit there. There is no signage outside, (not that i could see). Intimate, the service is excellent, and courses are very creative. My guest told me that this type of eclectic meal originated in Spain, and is now offered at select places. I found the many courses a little too much. However, my guest downed 2 bottles of wine, and loved every minute of it! A very different experience. Safe parking with car attendant nearby.

1  Thank ThornteeTours
Reviewed October 31, 2012

When I made the reservation, I didn't know what to expect but I had gone on the recommendation of a friend who delights in a good meal. Well this is not your ordinary Johannesburg restaurant and it is not just a good restaurant. It is Johannesburg's answer to those who think only Cape Town can serve up a gourmet meal.

In three and a half hours you find yourself on a gourmet tasting journey that keeps delighting and surprising with just enough to satisfy but not too much to feel over-indulged. The experience starts with an email which gives detailed instructions on when to arrive, what to expect, the actual menu of 12 courses which changes monthly, and what kind of wine to bring with you, since the restaurant does not have a liquor license.

Reading the menu, you might think the atmosphere be very formal and control. However, to my surprise and delight I was able to enjoy fantastic food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere but not very spacious. The chef, Dario, presents each dish patiently and clearly. The price per person was R500 which by Johannesburg standards is not cheap, but by world standards extremely reasonable and certainly great value for this quality of food, presentation, and taste.

I can't wait for another occasion to return. Don't go to this restaurant on a business dinner. Go to this restaurant with foodie friends and enjoy the experience.

2  Thank Samir S
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Brilliant restaurant, I loved the simplicity of the interior and as the food had such impact the two went perfectly together. Delicious, creative and well presented food. I personally found 11 courses a little too much, I think even 8 or 9 would be perfect. Excellent service. We enjoyed our evening and food so much we hired one of the chefs to come and cater at a dinner party of ours. The chef and his assistant were very professional and friendly too. The food was absolutely scrumptious. I highly recommend Cube.

4  Thank Maggie899