“Style over sunstance” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cube Tasting Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 1,173 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
uk
“Style over sunstance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Supposed to be the best culinary experience in the city, but I'm afraid to say I just found it a bit pretentious and lacking in real flavour. All our courses came covered in a sprinkling of pea shoots. Service was very pleasant .Maybe it wasn't their night in the kitchen. An international diner would not be impressed.

4 Thank chieftany

• Polish first
Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Very unusual restuarant, small and simple decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took a guest from New York after she had read an article in the New York Times called "36 hours in Johannesburg". This was also my first visit there. There is no signage outside, (not that i could see). Intimate, the service is excellent, and courses are very creative. My guest told me that this type of eclectic meal originated in Spain, and is now offered at select places. I found the many courses a little too much. However, my guest downed 2 bottles of wine, and loved every minute of it! A very different experience. Safe parking with car attendant nearby.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ThornteeTours
Johannesburg, South Africa
“An extraordinary gourmet experience in a casual setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

When I made the reservation, I didn't know what to expect but I had gone on the recommendation of a friend who delights in a good meal. Well this is not your ordinary Johannesburg restaurant and it is not just a good restaurant. It is Johannesburg's answer to those who think only Cape Town can serve up a gourmet meal.

In three and a half hours you find yourself on a gourmet tasting journey that keeps delighting and surprising with just enough to satisfy but not too much to feel over-indulged. The experience starts with an email which gives detailed instructions on when to arrive, what to expect, the actual menu of 12 courses which changes monthly, and what kind of wine to bring with you, since the restaurant does not have a liquor license.

Reading the menu, you might think the atmosphere be very formal and control. However, to my surprise and delight I was able to enjoy fantastic food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere but not very spacious. The chef, Dario, presents each dish patiently and clearly. The price per person was R500 which by Johannesburg standards is not cheap, but by world standards extremely reasonable and certainly great value for this quality of food, presentation, and taste.

I can't wait for another occasion to return. Don't go to this restaurant on a business dinner. Go to this restaurant with foodie friends and enjoy the experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Samir S
Cape Town
“Delicious and fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Brilliant restaurant, I loved the simplicity of the interior and as the food had such impact the two went perfectly together. Delicious, creative and well presented food. I personally found 11 courses a little too much, I think even 8 or 9 would be perfect. Excellent service. We enjoyed our evening and food so much we hired one of the chefs to come and cater at a dinner party of ours. The chef and his assistant were very professional and friendly too. The food was absolutely scrumptious. I highly recommend Cube.

4 Thank Maggie899
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cube - incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

What an incredible evening!
I recently went to Cube with family, and after having been advised by Dario as to the wine pairings we should bring, we arrived at Cube in Parktown North laden with a variety of wines, hungry for our dinner.
Cube is dressed minimally, and it's a small restaurant, seating no more than 40 people inside. The kitchen is visible from the dining room and guests can watch the magic happening across the room.
The small collection of staff are knowledgeable, attentive and seriously on-the-ball.

The food....oh, where to start!!??
The menu changes every 2 or 3 months, from what I gather, meaning the ingredients are seasonal and only the best.
Dario takes the ordinary and makes it completely extraordinary, if you'll excuse the cliche.
We were lucky enough to experience 11 courses of heaven.
We were told that if we were getting too full, they would decrease the size of the portions, and likewise, if we were not getting enough, they would "super-size" them.
Without asking for an increase or decrease in size, all the men and women felt full and satiated after the meal, but not uncomfortably stuffed....I'm not sure if men and women are served different portions, but we all left very happy.

I won't go into what each course comprised of, for fear of spoiling it for you.

It is expensive. We brought all our own wine, and ended up paying R1200.00 per couple, for the meal, the tip and 2 bottles of water.
This being said, I plan on making my visit to Cube a quarterly event....

I can't really say any more, other than get yourself a booking at Cube and go and eat their incredible culinary magic as SOON as you can!!!! I know I'm going to!

2 Thank Aimeelloyd9