“An extraordinary gourmet experience in a casual setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cube Tasting Kitchen - MOVED

Cube Tasting Kitchen
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Johannesburg, South Africa
“An extraordinary gourmet experience in a casual setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

When I made the reservation, I didn't know what to expect but I had gone on the recommendation of a friend who delights in a good meal. Well this is not your ordinary Johannesburg restaurant and it is not just a good restaurant. It is Johannesburg's answer to those who think only Cape Town can serve up a gourmet meal.

In three and a half hours you find yourself on a gourmet tasting journey that keeps delighting and surprising with just enough to satisfy but not too much to feel over-indulged. The experience starts with an email which gives detailed instructions on when to arrive, what to expect, the actual menu of 12 courses which changes monthly, and what kind of wine to bring with you, since the restaurant does not have a liquor license.

Reading the menu, you might think the atmosphere be very formal and control. However, to my surprise and delight I was able to enjoy fantastic food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere but not very spacious. The chef, Dario, presents each dish patiently and clearly. The price per person was R500 which by Johannesburg standards is not cheap, but by world standards extremely reasonable and certainly great value for this quality of food, presentation, and taste.

I can't wait for another occasion to return. Don't go to this restaurant on a business dinner. Go to this restaurant with foodie friends and enjoy the experience.

2 Thank Samir S

• Polish first
Cape Town
“Delicious and fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Brilliant restaurant, I loved the simplicity of the interior and as the food had such impact the two went perfectly together. Delicious, creative and well presented food. I personally found 11 courses a little too much, I think even 8 or 9 would be perfect. Excellent service. We enjoyed our evening and food so much we hired one of the chefs to come and cater at a dinner party of ours. The chef and his assistant were very professional and friendly too. The food was absolutely scrumptious. I highly recommend Cube.

4 Thank Maggie899
“Cube - incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

What an incredible evening!
I recently went to Cube with family, and after having been advised by Dario as to the wine pairings we should bring, we arrived at Cube in Parktown North laden with a variety of wines, hungry for our dinner.
Cube is dressed minimally, and it's a small restaurant, seating no more than 40 people inside. The kitchen is visible from the dining room and guests can watch the magic happening across the room.
The small collection of staff are knowledgeable, attentive and seriously on-the-ball.

The food....oh, where to start!!??
The menu changes every 2 or 3 months, from what I gather, meaning the ingredients are seasonal and only the best.
Dario takes the ordinary and makes it completely extraordinary, if you'll excuse the cliche.
We were lucky enough to experience 11 courses of heaven.
We were told that if we were getting too full, they would decrease the size of the portions, and likewise, if we were not getting enough, they would "super-size" them.
Without asking for an increase or decrease in size, all the men and women felt full and satiated after the meal, but not uncomfortably stuffed....I'm not sure if men and women are served different portions, but we all left very happy.

I won't go into what each course comprised of, for fear of spoiling it for you.

It is expensive. We brought all our own wine, and ended up paying R1200.00 per couple, for the meal, the tip and 2 bottles of water.
This being said, I plan on making my visit to Cube a quarterly event....

I can't really say any more, other than get yourself a booking at Cube and go and eat their incredible culinary magic as SOON as you can!!!! I know I'm going to!

2 Thank Aimeelloyd9
“Best food in Joburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Without doubt the best dining experience in Joburg. The 11 course meal was incredible, and also fun at the same time. Pity it is not yet licensed, wine pairing would have been great. Also great options for people who dont eat meat. Service slightly patchy (often has to pour our own wine and water), but an incredible dining experience, and the owners/managers have a great attitude.

1 Thank Hooggenoeg
Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our son & daughter-in-law took us to Cube when we were visiting them from Chicago. It was wonderful to see and taste all the many different combinations of flavors, textures, spices, etc. Such unusual combinations of things that made it very exciting! Each course was an adventure and we all had our favorites. Everything was beautifully presented and each course arrived on different types of dishes. Visually beautiful. It was nice to have each course described by the chief but you could tell he was busy cooking and not really waiting for questions. We loved being able to BYOB..something this type of restaurant would never allow in the States. We also thought it was very reasonable for such a fantastic experience.

• Visited September 2012