“Excellent”

Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We conduct private and small group tours around JHB, JHB/Soweto, Apartheid museum, The Cradle of Humankind, Pretoria and the Pilanesberg. We also do overnight tours to Pilanesberg, camping or chalet and lodge venues. Group size is kept small to ensure an exclusive experience. We try to accommodate special requests as far as possible.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I was fortunate to have Chris Green as my private guide for a very short 6-hour whirlwind visit. When we had finished, I had learned some important history about South Africa and its people, narrated and brought alive for me by Chris. He is an excellent raconteur and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. I can't recommend him highly enough.

1  Thank RCPNewYork
chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Hello RCP! Well thank you for the compliment and your review! We do get the occasional 'impossible ' requests for an overview in a short time frame but I relish the challenge! JHB is a microcosm of South Africa and provides a ready lens into our society. Naturally a longer time is better but your point is a good one, dont sit around in the airport, there is plenty to see and learn about JHB! Many thanks for the review and please come back for a longer visit in the future!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We where able to use the services of Chris Green of Cashan Africa three times now.
The first time we where on our way to a different destination, but had a stop over in Jo-burg.
Chris took us to Pilanesberg and showed us the park. This was our first safari ever.
The second time was on the return of the same vacation. He showed us Jo-burg.
The third time Chris showed us Pilanesberg again.
Chris has proven to be a very very good guide. He has an extentional knowledge of animallife and nature. But has also a very broad knowledge about many different subjects. Like the history of this beautifull country, architects, mining etc.
And next to all his knowledge, he is a very nice guide as well! So, if it is your first visit to south africa, or you have been here already numerous times, with Chris you will learn even more about the country. I work for an airline, and I always advise my passengers to contact him if you want to learn a lot about South Africa.

1  Thank Trudiez

Hi Trudiez, Nice to hear from you again! Thank you so much for posting your comments about your tours with me and thank you too for coming back again and again! That is a vote of confidence we appreciate very much. It is a truth that when one loves what one does it shows. I certainly love living in SA and the evolving story of our land remains one of the most fascinating ones around. JHB continues to change and grow, there are new initiatives to see in the city centre with big investments in buildings and on the street. Plenty more bright new paint too which is sure sign of the optimism felt by Johannesburgers. We look forward to seeing you both again someday soon and many thanks for taking the time to post your review and referring us to others.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Chris has showed me Soweto, Johannesburg and Pilanesburg in two. It was an unique experience because Chris loves what he does and that makes our trips special. Chris explains as much details as you wish and in Pilanesburg does not give up until show us the big 5 :). I have enjoyed very much is knowledge, is kindness and care to make our trip as much special as possible. I trully recommend Chris to everyoone.

4  Thank Elsa_Martins
chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Hi Elsa! Thanks you very much for posting your review and comments about your tours with me. You are very kind, it is a pleasure to share our country with our guests. I enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your travels too! Jhb and Soweto are very popular cities to visit and as you experienced they are different but also fun. The Pilanesberg is a great reserve and one that gives up its secrets slowly and not always easily, but we certainly got to see many animals that day. It is now the end of the winter and the days are longer end a little warmer, the dust though, is very thick on some roads, my vehicle needs a good wash when we come home! This last week ended with "Mandela Day" the day that we all celebrate his birthday. We try to spend 67 minutes helping others and contributing to the upliftment of our community. This year I took some people from Brazil into Soweto to see for themselves the transformations taking place there.
I wish you and your daughter a very peaceful rest of your year, good health and many thanks again for your post.
Chris Green

Reviewed June 25, 2014

when we arrived mid afternoon in Johannesburg enroute to Botswana, the airport hotel suggested a private tour to see some of the city. The tour was ok, but we had a very depressed opinion of the town.
We'd already scheduled Cashan for a bigger tour on our return. Chris was great. We visited a transitioning gentrified section which was becoming an arts and quite hip center of town. Had an interesting lunch where many local upscale workers go with multiple food venues, went to Mandela's house, and saw a wealthy neighborhood. We left with a greatly improved opinion of the city. Chris did a great job and was very informative.
We had taken a tour in Capetown with a guide who had gotten top reviews, but was a real disappointment to us. This was not the case with Chris. we'd highly recommend him.

2  Thank rmartin1
chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Hello Rmartin, I am glad you found that Jozi is not all grim and difficult! I remember our conversation about this very well. Jozi is a big city and certainly there are areas that are not safe or salubrious but this does not mean it is a total no go area by any means. I am glad you saw the optimistic side of it with me! I find the transformations that are happening across the city intriguing, there is a real mix of big money, small money, pop up shops and the civic authorities, all working hard to build a dynamic city with a rich mix of facilities and functions that work for everybody. It is most definitely a work in progress as you saw however I remain delighted with the discoveries and friendships I make all over the city and in Soweto. I am grateful too, for your feedback, it is clear and thought provoking and we appreciate it very much. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on your experiences. We look forward to showing you great progress on your next trip here!
Best wishes,
Chris Green

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Arriving from Sao Paulo and having a city tour the same day with Chris was just the right decision we had taken. Easy going and so much interesting information on the history, the mines, the architecture, city development and the people Chris transmitted. We loved his recommendation to enjoy lunch with him at the neighbourgoods market.

chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you Klaus for your review! I am glad yo u enjoyed the tour so much, I like the Neighbourgoods Market too and you can tell why, great food and vibe there! We have the winter temperatures now but the sun is shining at least. The city is growing every day in so many different ways. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experiences, we look forward to meeting again, Best regards,