“Recommended.”

Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We conduct private and small group tours around JHB, JHB/Soweto, Apartheid museum, The Cradle of Humankind, Pretoria and the Pilanesberg. We also do overnight tours to Pilanesberg, camping or chalet and lodge venues. Group size is kept small to ensure an exclusive experience. We try to accommodate special requests as far as possible.
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very impressed, the communication with Chris on email before our trip was great and made it possible to tailor it to our wish and needs. High knowledge of nature, history and culture - and geology too! We did one trip to Pilanesberg and our favorite a trip to downtown Joburg where we could walk around at visit some new and modern part of the city, even a open market day at the best urban renewal project!
You should be aware that if driving long distance the car fits two in the back if you want to sit comfortably, one more can fit in for shorter distances.
Would definitely recommend Chris and have already done so to several friends, the fact that you can tailor your trip and adjust it on the go is wonderful!

5  Thank Ducati40
Chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hi There, Ducati! Thanks so much for the review and your comments. It is very rewarding for me to hear guests' feedback on the tours. I agree about the rear seat, the middle is less comfortable than the sides. I need to see what Toyota can suggest. You would not recognise the Pilanesberg now, it has has six weeks of heat and drought! The dams are down and some rivers and streams are dry. This is still 'end of summer' but the outlook is tough. Fortunately there is plenty of grass yet but the animals will have to walk farther to water by the end of the winter. Game sightings are still excellent, we even saw a leopard last week! A very brief but complete sighting on the third morning of the trip, but very cool! The streetmarket we enjoyed has an evening one too and if you are ever back in Jozi it's worth a try, magical lights and less crowded but stunning and very nice for night photography! Thanks again for the review, and you are welcome back soon.
Chris

There are newer reviews for Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris

Reviewed February 20, 2013

fantastic trip so many animals to see Chris has so much knowledge not only animals but also the early history and geology which added an extra dimension to my trip he seemed to be able to find animals birds every where we went .My first trip was Pilansbergh lions out in the open came right up where could watch them have a spat then lie down resting I enjoyed his trip so much ithen went to Kruger for a longer trip which was so interesting the tiny elephant whose sibling pushed him up the steep incline hippo under the floor of hide which had us all on our knees looking when he snorted on us much to our amusement ... We stayed overnight in very comfortable cabins .as we checked in one evening about 30 elephants led by the matriach walked along the road . to finish my holiday chris took me ,to Soweto which was quite different to what I expected IN all 3 wonderful trips ,

Chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hi Betty, thank you so much for posting a review of your trips. We certainly covered a lot of ground and your visit to South Africa highlights the value of taking enough time with each site to get the best experience from the visit. The contrast between the Pilanesberg and the Kruger was marked by the dry heat of the Pilanesberg and the rain in the Kruger. The same rains that led to the flooding a week after we left it! Soweto is a must see for anyone who comes to Johannesburg. It is such a changed and changing city which again reflects the changes that are happening all around SA.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, it is most appreciated.It was so very nice to take you around SA and I am glad to have had the opportunity to do that, all the best for this year in Brisbane.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Connecting with Chris Green has added so much to my latest visit to South Africa. Having lived in SA during the '90's, (but with subsequent visits every two years ), I felt it was time to revisit areas in and around J'burg that I'd enjoyed so many years ago. The first day trip to the CBD and the suburbs I'd known and lived in was so very meaningful for me and Chris' positive attitude added to my own enthusiasm. And what an added bonus that Chris picked me up at the home of friend, rather than the usual hotel pick up and drop off. A second day was spent at the Cradle of Humankind and the Sterkfontein Caves which has seen so much in the way of creative development. Then to revisit the Pilanesburg brought back to me the beauty of the area as well as so many special memories. I so enjoyed being able to share my awareness of SA with Chris and have it added to by his extensive knowledge. I will definitely contact Chris on any subsequent visits.

Chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hi There, I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and reconnecting with places you knew. It is just as interesting to me to hear guests' responses to the city! It i such a dynamic place with a number of projects all over the city. The Pilanesberg is a firm favourite and turns up surprises almost every time I go. We saw 8 black rhinos last week!! I was an incredible and magical experience. Returning residents or former visitors are always curious about how things are developing and love the new developments too.

Thank you so much for your review I appreciate it very much. I have your photos to send you as soon as I am in the office again.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reviewed December 8, 2012

i chose cashan tours based on the very good reviews in tripadvisor and i was not disappointed (my only regret is that he was not free again the next day for another tour).

luckily though chris was available during the sole day that my friend and i had time to go to the pilanesberg reserve. it was a long day as we started at 530am and returned at past 9pm, but definitely worth it. we saw a pack of wild dogs, a special treat since these animals are extremely endangered. we also saw plenty of elephants, including a couple of young males who played in the water for more than 15 minutes -- fantastic! there was also a hippo in one of the water holes that definitely knew we were there and played up to us. and of course there were plenty of blue wildebeests, giraffes, zebras, kudus, and others. chris also didn't leave the reserve until we found rhinos.

chris himself was very engaging and full of info, both about the park and its animals and plants, and also south africa's history and politics. he provided everything needed for the trip, including binoculars, bird and mammal books, water, fruits, cupcakes and munchies. he also brought us to bukubung lodge for a very nice lunch. this tour is definitely more than value for money!

if ever i get to come back to johannesburg again, i will definitely repeat this experience again and with cashan tours. i also won't hesitate to recommend chris to anybody who's thinking of doing this tour.

Chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hi there Malyn!
Thank you so much for your generous review of our trip to the Pilanesberg, it means a lot to me when guests take the time to post their comments. I still am amazed at that day; we had the long journey that produced some of the best sightings of the year, Mr Spots the leopard wandering through the grass towards us and then settling down by the stream, as cool as a cucumber, was so typical of them. This at 12:45 in the daytime! The lions so far off, elephants, plains game and the huge hippo rounded off with the black rhinos in the late dusk were all totally awesome. The rhinos were so special considering the grim reality that faces all rhinos. I am glad you came and that you both were keen to get out of bed at that early hour! We certainly got rewarded for it!
I wish you all the best and please come back to SA with your partner, there is a lot more to see, we can finish JHB and then head off to the wilderness again.

Best regards,

Chris Green
p.s. check the website for some photos, I have to download them still, but it is relatively quiet now so here is my chance!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Chris is amazing. My friend and I were sad after we traveled all the way to Timbavati to see white lions and we were not able to see them, as it is very difficult to find them in the wild. We did a half day tour with Chris in JB that included the Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve. We only had one morning in JB and Chris knew exactly were to go and recommended this reserve over the Lion Park as we wanted to interact with the cubs. We had a wonderful experience and had so much fun, we went to pet the twelve week old white lion cubs, no only once but twice! We took over 400 pictures just at this attraction and they are by far my favourite pictures in South Africa. Thank you!

Chris G, Owner at Cashan Africa Tours & Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Hi there! I am so glad you enjoyed seeing those cubs! And what a treat that there were some little guys too? That reserve is one of my most regular stops in the Cradle area and it is well run and interesting not only for the interaction they offer with the cubs but also the other bigger game species and the overall game areas. The landscape is pretty much pristine, original highveld which I like. Much of this habitat has been built over or converted to farms or mines, so this makes it all the more special.

We also had really good weather that morning which helps the photos! I have some of my own that I will forward to you too. I trust that the hat survived it's experience with the little cubs!

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience on the tour.

Best wishes,